October 09, 2023
2454 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2654 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What VIDEO GAME(s) have you been playing?

More
27 Jul 2019 07:34 #300121 by Ah_Pook

Gary Sax wrote: I started playing Dragon Quest Builders 2, and it's like... a very directed minecraft? For a certain type of person like me, it's incredibly soothing. It's far less creative than minecraft. I think it works for the type of person who likes to build legos from the manuals but doesn't play with them much otherwise.

I played a ton of the first one, but haven't grabbed the second one yet. If it's like my experience with the first one it starts out pretty on rails bidding wise, but by the end you'll be spending ages decking it your little towns in increasingly crazy ways. Definitely nowhere near as freeform as Minecraft, which I like as it gives you actual goals and stuff.

I've been playing through The Surge which was free on PS+ a little while ago. It's a pretty good bloodborne knockoff, but sci fi themed. My main complaint is that little twisty industrial tunnels all kinda look the same, so remembering your way around gets ready tricky. It adds a couple fun twists to bloodborne, like a souls multiplier the longer you go without hitting a bonfire and a timer on your dropped souls when you die. I'm not sure I would have been into paying $60 for so blatant a clone, but I'm having a lot of fun with it and think it's worth playing. Also it has made me want to replay Dead Space 1+2 pretty badly.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Jul 2019 12:00 #300126 by Gary Sax
Definitely could be, I'm still in the early stages.

Dead Space 1 still holds up amazingly well. Dead Space 2 works as the Aliens to Dead Space 1's Alien.

More
27 Jul 2019 17:38 #300133 by Gary Sax
Dragon Quest Builders 2 is good, y'all. My spouse and I have been playing it all day. I like it better than Minecraft et al. More directed. Also cuter with much better style (not referring to character designs necessarily) which is a big deal in a building game.

More
31 Jul 2019 12:45 #300302 by Rliyen
Since I got a good raise and bonus this year, I bought a new computer. After having the Potato PC for so long, I finally went Steam happy and bought a ton of games.

Currently, the one that is keeping me up late at night is Payday 2. I especially enjoy the stealth missions.

I'm also playing more of Enter the Gungeon, now that the game runs smoother on it and I'm actually getting down to the 5th floors on a regular basis, as opposed to once in a while.

Lastly, I picked up Depth. Boy, that game is fun and scary at the same time. Still having flashbacks when 6 year old me saw Jaws in the theaters while playing this game. The unintelligible warbling of warnings from your teammates and the relative darkness just creeps me out.

And I love it.

More
31 Jul 2019 13:24 - 31 Jul 2019 13:25 #300304 by ThirstyMan
Playing Alien Isolation which is just great as a stealth game with a wonderful 70s realisation of a space station complete with green screen monitors.

Also loving Civ 6 which I now have on the ipad which means I can play it while travelling. Flights would go a lot better if I didn't drink so much that I can't friggin play. C'est la vie.
Last edit: 31 Jul 2019 13:25 by ThirstyMan.
The following user(s) said Thank You: siberianhusky

More
10 Aug 2019 12:53 #300636 by Ah_Pook
I bought a switch and have been playing Mario maker 2 really quite a lot. First Nintendo platform I've bought into since the gamecube. Seems like a winner so far. Lots of great looking stuff in looking forward to playing.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, hotseatgames

More
10 Aug 2019 13:05 #300637 by hotseatgames
I finished Prey. I reloaded saves to get 3 different endings. This game is fantastic and is the best game I have played in quite some time.

I've said this before, but any fans of Deus Ex or Half-Life should play Prey without hesitation.

This is a game that would make an amazing movie or series as well. The story is that compelling.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Turek, Gary Sax, Frohike, Sevej, BillyBobThwarton, Vysetron

More
15 Aug 2019 10:01 #300798 by the_jake_1973
My wife has took over the PS4 with her Dragon Quest Builders 2 and keep going back to Portal Knights as well. We ended up getting a second PS4 so I could play the VR. I picked up a driving seat, wheel, and pedals to use with Dirt VR and Drive Club. Driving in VR in a proper cockpit setup has been bonkers. I actually felt myself tense up when my car broke from the track and slid fast into a wall.

No Man's Sky in VR though. WOW. An amazing experience, albeit a bit blurry in PSVR. I'm willing to overlook that in exchange for the totally immersive gameplay. This will be absorbing my time for quite a while.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames, Frohike, BillyBobThwarton

More
15 Aug 2019 13:42 #300806 by Frohike
I'd forgotten about PSVR until I bought NMS last night and saw that little logo... and a light bulb went on. It seems like the perfect VR game.

It looks like the current version doesn't yet have a PS4 Pro patch to bump the resolution up a bit, but I'm definitely interested in picking up a PSVR.

More
15 Aug 2019 21:04 #300825 by Sevej
With everyone playing Minecraft again, I thought, eh, why not.

Now I have a castle, easy access with railway to a nether fortress, bunch of cows, water gates, uber bow & pickaxe...

And my daughter loves seeing me playing it (and she even plays it herself, in Creative mode).
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, BillyBobThwarton

More
16 Aug 2019 00:14 #300836 by Gary Sax
My 5th grade nephew told me that everyone stopped playing fortnite and has gone back to minecraft that he knows. Which makes me happy.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, Frohike

More
16 Aug 2019 08:12 #300839 by hotseatgames
Same goes for my kids. And when they want their Battle Royale fix they play Apex Legends and shame me with their kill counts.

More
31 Aug 2019 16:12 #301281 by Ah_Pook
Any of y'all play Mario Maker 2?

Also, Astral Chain looks flat or incredible. Next time I'm in need of a new game that's definitely the one. It's like Platinum made insane anime cop Shenmue or something. Good it looks so good .
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike

More
31 Aug 2019 21:01 #301287 by Gary Sax
Dicey Dungeons is pretty addictive.
The following user(s) said Thank You: BillyBobThwarton

More
31 Aug 2019 21:07 #301288 by Ah_Pook
I'm all the way in on dicey dungeons once it hits a console. It looks really good.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.530 seconds