October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2506 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What VIDEO GAME(s) have you been playing?

More
14 Sep 2019 10:56 #301723 by Ah_Pook
I honestly don't know if I'm in for another borderlands that's just more borderlands. For all their problems Destiny 1+2 were radically more fun to play mechanically than Borderlands has ever been, plus they don't have Borderlands dubious sense of humor to deal with. I dunno if I can go back. Plus I played Borderlands 2 and all the dlc for like 300 hours back when they came out so that also doesn't leave me in a "yes I want to play more of this same thing" headspace. I'll probably still get it when it's cheap ;)

Also, playing the TTA expansion last night, I had Nobel and Harvard in age 2 making 9 science/turn. Grabbed early Einstein and computers to get up to 14/turn. Next turn I declare a Wat Over Culture and took and built Manhattan Project for +13 strength and 14 points (you score your science rating). Yea... This expansion is fantastic. It's exactly what TTA needs.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Frohike

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Sep 2019 11:39 #301802 by SebastianBludd
The Boy and I have stalled out on Overcooked 2. Despite the addition of a new mechanic or two - throwing food across chasms, or just for the hell of it, into pots/pans never gets old - we're far enough along that the frustration is outweighing the fun. I like that the game has an untimed casual mode that I can play with my daughter but The Boy and I quit playing at the level where you have to ride and move a big platform around to reach the ingredients and cutting boards that form a ring around a pit in the center. We might come back to it later but we still haven't finished the first Overcooked...

The Boys and I have also been playing a lot of Cuphead and while The Boy tapped out at Dr. Kahl's Robot, The Boy II is all-in. I've tried for years to get him interested in playing shooters like Contra and Mega Man but based on his reaction to Cuphead, those games were lacking the 1930's-style animation and jazz that he was craving (he loves the Cagney Carnation music, among others). He's not only beaten the game, but he's about 70% of the way through a "peashooter only" playthrough.

It goes without saying that the soundtrack and animation are cohesive and amazing, but there's a visceral quality to the sound effects that one usually doesn't get in games like this. I cringe inwardly every time I hear the "breaking china" sound effect while taking a hit and I've had few gaming experiences as satisfying as when I land the killing blow on a boss for the first time and hear the boxing bell sound accompanied by the "Knockout!" voiceover (which is usually immediately followed by my disappointment that I "only" had 1 HP left when I won...). I usually get a "B" rank on bosses but I'm proud of the fact that I managed to demolish Dr. Kahl's Robot without taking a hit for an "A" rank and I also beat the Phantom Express last night without taking a hit (only for "B" rank, gotta fire off more supers!).

I love the tension between playing it safe versus trying to land more hits to advance a boss to its next phase, and in that regard I also love trying to figure out ways to complete each boss phase more efficiently to minimize RNG. I'm also a bit of a masochist so I also really enjoy having to watch 2-3 places on screen to keep track of enemies and projectiles coming from unexpected locations. I've read complaints about the difficulty in later stages but I've yet to run across anything that I would consider blatantly unfair (YMMV). I beat King Dice last night with 1 HP remaining (hey, those cards are a pain in the ass!) so tonight I'm tackling The Devil for the first time. I can't wait.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Frohike, birdman37

More
19 Sep 2019 10:02 #301820 by RobertB

hotseatgames wrote: So far I have played 2 hours of Borderlands 3. There are a lot of quality of life improvements, and driving already seems a lot better. The way you unlock skills also is much more flexible than before.

It is most definitely "another Borderlands." That is enough for me, but if you wanted a huge departure, this is not it.

I'm at level 10 now on my first character, FL4K. My experience so far:

- They've moved ammo expansion from Eridium to cash, so now you have a lot more to do with cash. My experience with Borderlands 2 was that cash was meaningless after about level 20 or so, but you had to scrounge hard for Eridium.

- Driving is a lot better.

- Weapons seem to be regressed to the mean a lot more than the ones in B2, but I might not be far enough along to see really good ones yet.

- My vast 2-planet experience is that 'multiple planets' doesn't mean 'multiple large planets'. Since you can teleport from planet to planet anyway, it doesn't seem to be doing much for me except providing a reason for a change of scenery. Again, maybe future play will prove me wrong.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
19 Sep 2019 10:11 #301822 by Ah_Pook
Everything I've seen is that borderlands 3 is borderlands 2.3 (the presequel being 2.2), with also a bunch of technical and performance issues, and bugs. I was really hoping for more, especially after it being so long since 2 came out.

More
19 Sep 2019 11:19 #301824 by hotseatgames
I have now played quite a bit of Borderlands 3. My character, FL4K, is level 22 and I have seen all of the planets. The last planet, the swamp one, seems to be the most fully developed one, with multiple large areas.

I think overall it might be the best Borderlands they have ever made, but it would have been much more impactful had it come out 3 years ago. Some pros and cons:
+ the shooting is great
+ the loot is better than it's ever been
+ not having to pick up ammo and money is SO nice
+ driving is now actually fun and I actively want to do it for the first time in a Borderlands game
+ boss battles are finally good
+ character skill trees are interesting and varied

- the dialog is 100% terrible
- Gearbox seems convinced that people care about their characters. Maybe some people do, but I sure don't.
- some frame rate issues for sure (aging PC with a Nvidia 1060 in it)
- the menus are a confusing mess and simply don't work well

I am having a great time with this game, despite it not being the earth-shattering return of Borderlands that it should have been. I REALLY want them to do away with their locked-in character style of game, and let me build my own character Bethesda-style. I also want a whole batch of melee weapons as varied as the firearms.

More
19 Sep 2019 14:02 #301831 by RobertB

hotseatgames wrote: I
- some frame rate issues for sure (aging PC with a Nvidia 1060 in it)

My brother was telling me that his machine that plays Borderlands 2 at low detail settings can't play Borderlands 3. More like a slideshow than a game. Mine seems to play B3 fine on a 3-year old PC with a Nvidia 970, but I haven't changed graphics settings and messed it up yet.

More
19 Sep 2019 15:32 #301834 by Gary Sax
I wanted to play Gears 5, I have a strong weakness for Gears of War combat and I actually like the story subtext a lot more than most people, which I've talked about in this thread before. So I did PC gamepass for like 2 dollars this month and downloaded Gears 4 to play first.

It was really good to get back to Gears combat, I hadn't played since Gears 3 and I used to play obsessively with a group. The fight pace and focus on maneuver is just right for me. Too bad I don't really have friends to play with any more, though.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames

More
19 Sep 2019 15:38 #301836 by hotseatgames
I have Gears 4 on Xbox and never finished it. There are set-pieces where you have to defend an area from several waves of assault, and they are so frustrating that they broke me.

More
19 Sep 2019 16:15 #301839 by Gary Sax
Yeah, they leaned in on the campaign to try to get you to play Horde multiplayer.

More
19 Sep 2019 16:21 #301841 by lj1983
I had to finish Gears 4 and playing Gears 5 now on gamepass.

I think Gears 5 is better than 4. the core gameplay is the same, but it feels like more imagination in the set pieces.

More
19 Sep 2019 16:30 #301843 by Ah_Pook
What games are y'all looking forward to this holidays? I'm allllllll the way in for Doom Eternal, and maybe in for Modern Warfare (remains to be seen if I want to buy in after they fucked the last couple games so hard with lootbox BS). Aside from that I don't really know.

More
19 Sep 2019 16:32 #301844 by Gary Sax

lj1983 wrote: I had to finish Gears 4 and playing Gears 5 now on gamepass.

I think Gears 5 is better than 4. the core gameplay is the same, but it feels like more imagination in the set pieces.

Glad to hear. Excited to get there. I don't like much JD so I'm glad to hear 5 is mainly about Kait and Del, I like both of them.

More
19 Sep 2019 16:49 #301845 by hotseatgames

Ah_Pook wrote: What games are y'all looking forward to this holidays? I'm allllllll the way in for Doom Eternal, and maybe in for Modern Warfare (remains to be seen if I want to buy in after they fucked the last couple games so hard with lootbox BS). Aside from that I don't really know.

I will likely be playing Borderlands 3 quite a lot for the foreseeable future. October 1 is season 3 of Apex Legends which will probably pull me back in. Doom Eternal, and the Obisidian RPG, Outer Worlds or whatever the hell it's called looks cool.

Also assorted stuff on the Switch.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike

More
19 Sep 2019 17:43 #301851 by Gary Sax
I'm kind of at this holding pattern for the next gen of consoles, I'll be able to play almost all of these as remasters or as backward compatible. I'll probably go xbox next gen, I'm really happy with their messaging and stuff on backwards comptability and the ability to cross-buy games on PC/console which is valuable to me.

So I'm a little reluctant to hit new games this winter, tbh.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike

More
20 Sep 2019 00:18 #301860 by Frohike
I'm kind of in the "smitten with the Switch" phase where I'm picking up every new port that comes out because weeeee.... Ni No Kuni on something portable!

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.501 seconds