October 09, 2023
2421 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2630 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What VIDEO GAME(s) have you been playing?

More
24 Nov 2019 12:18 #304494 by Michael Barnes
I thought it was difficult at first, but then I started to realize that more of the game goes on in you mind than on the screen. It is all about investigation and deduction, and it is by far the most complex mystery game ever made. It requires you to draw connections across disparate clues and not-very-obvious pieces of information to arrive at conclusions which may wind up contra-indicating other conclusions you may have made. It’s brilliant that you are “scored” in sets of 3- it keeps you on track and it lets you make some educated guesswork when things don’t completely add up. When you do get 3 it feels like such an accomplishment.

I think the game is utterly brilliant. I’ve ID’ed over half and I’m at an impasse, but I think I have the whole story at this point and it’s a really awesome one.

We saw Frozen 2 last night and there is a scene where my son almost yelled in the theater “that’s just like Obra Dinn!”
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, hotseatgames

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Nov 2019 18:22 #304509 by hotseatgames
Some of the characters that the game says I should *technically* be able to identify, I'm thinking how the fuck do you think I should be doing that? :D

More
25 Nov 2019 13:02 #304539 by jeb
One example I'll use here is who people are with in the pictures--I strongly suspect other-hat-guy with the Captain and First Mate is the Second Mate. Do I know it's the Second Mate, no, but it's probably the Second Mate.

I am taking notes and printing pictures to work these out.

Developers, if your game makes me take notes I am fucking charmed.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Ah_Pook

More
25 Nov 2019 14:16 #304542 by Michael Barnes
You have to pay attention to what information you are given. The roster is a great tool. Think about the information it gives you. If someone has a French accent and there’s only one French on board...think about nicknames and relationships that you can discern too. And also look at the ship maps, where the cabins are. When do you see certain people in certain places? Determine who is there and you narrow the field if you have some names down.

There are a few “gimmes” to get you started. Once you hook those, you’ll see how it starts to unfold as you investigate.

One HUGE clue- look for another way that people are numbered.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, hotseatgames

More
26 Nov 2019 12:15 - 26 Nov 2019 12:18 #304571 by Ah_Pook
If any of y'all have Mario Maker 2 and want to try a fuck hard level that took me 2 months to make and successfully upload, here you go.

Edit: doesn't seem to want to embed this tweet

The Last Thwomp Outta The Swamp

9PK-XX2-XKG
Last edit: 26 Nov 2019 12:18 by Ah_Pook.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, hotseatgames

More
26 Nov 2019 15:42 #304574 by Ah_Pook
Also, I really want to get Civ 6 on PS4 today, but charging $60 for a 3+ year old game and then another $50 for the expansions feels like it's not going to fly. Id be way more tempted if it was the complete package, which definitely feels like what it should be.
The following user(s) said Thank You: BillyBobThwarton

More
26 Nov 2019 15:46 #304575 by Gary Sax
Yeah, they put the base game on deep sales periodically, like 20-30 bucks, but the newest DLCs are always very expensive.

More
26 Nov 2019 16:31 #304577 by Erik Twice
Civ VI was a big dissapointment. I own a copy which I bought for my father and neither of us play it. If we want Civ, we play V instead.

More
26 Nov 2019 18:22 #304580 by jeb
CIV 6 on iOS is excellent, if you have an iPad. And for whatever reason, the DLC is free from time to time. I was able to get most of them week over week as they cycled through their freeness.

More
26 Nov 2019 20:34 #304583 by hotseatgames
Can anyone comment on the quality of the digital Gloomhaven game? It's currently on sale on Steam.

More
26 Nov 2019 23:20 #304591 by san il defanso
I like Civ VI a lot as well. The dlc is great, but definitely is expensive. I can see why people would balk at it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
02 Dec 2019 12:54 #304702 by ThirstyMan
Civ6 is $16 (base game) on Steam at the moment. Of course, I don't live in US but it is heavily discounted right now. Very, very addictive and a wonderful modding community.

More
02 Dec 2019 14:11 #304704 by Rliyen
After yet again getting burnt out on Path of Exile, I went to my Steam library and checked what I had that I liked, but hadn't played in a while.

Enter State of Decay. I really liked the game, but ran like ass on my previous machine. Now, it runs like butter. There's nothing more entertaining than running down a zombie horde in a hemi.

Just recently, I got a copy from the developers of State of Decay: Year One. I don't want to restart my game on the original, but this edition has all the DLC for it. Poop.

I've also played Darwin Project, BR meets TF2 graphic style. Kind of fun, but limited in replayability. It's still in EA, so there's that.

More
02 Dec 2019 14:50 #304706 by hotseatgames
Stuff I have recently played on Xbox Gamepass:

Crackdown 3 - not a bad game, not a great game. I'm chipping away at it. The narrators never shut the fuck up.

Life is Strange - eh.... not really feeling this one yet. I am annoyed at how it keeps trying to railroad me into the "good" outcome.

More
02 Dec 2019 16:31 #304709 by jeb
I finally got BORDERLANDS 3. I agree the intro needs to be skippable. It's crazy long and pretty boring.

I'm Moze (D.Va, basically) and Amara (Brick basically) so far--I have one toon for solo and one for teaming up with a buddy across the country. Just went to Promethea and am getting my ass handed to me by Maliwan commandos.

Extremely welcome changes:
  • Not having to pick up money, ammo, health. JFC that was idiotic, thank you for fixing this.
  • Vending is interesting--they offer items past your level and I appreciate it! There was barely ever a reason to look at the wares in BL2.
  • Mantling! I love climbing on things. I very much appreciate using arms to climb stuff instead of sorting out how to land on things.
  • Meaningful knockdown--you can really move some bad guys with shots/explosions.

Annoying weird stuff
  • Can I not switch weapons except sequentially?
  • Definitely not as "floaty" as BL2--maybe a function of mantling. I liked floaty in BL2. Hated the PRE-SEQUEL, go figure
  • The skill trees are incomprehensible, by and large.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.951 seconds