October 09, 2023
2450 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2652 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What VIDEO GAME(s) have you been playing?

More
05 Dec 2019 21:02 #304807 by Sevej
Playing the now not available Lego - Lord of the Rings with my 5yo daughter. Last weekend we had The Hobbit - LotR marathon, so she had asked about the game (which she had watched me played like years ago).

It can be played two players (she with an 8bitdo controller and me with the keyboard--the screen duplicated on my laptop and tv via HDMI), so we had fun playing it. Lots of screaming. Trying to stop myself from swearing. The mom sometimes join in the fun too.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WadeMonnig

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Dec 2019 13:32 #304876 by Jexik
I made the ill-advised decision to play some WoW Classic. Some of the time I used to spend posting here or Slaying the Spire shifted over. On Thursdays I play with my brother in law, and on some other days I play with a work friend of my wife.
The following user(s) said Thank You: BillyBobThwarton

More
16 Dec 2019 07:56 #305146 by hotseatgames
Played a couple of rounds of Hunt: Showdown since it was a free weekend on Steam. I like the idea of this game, but I don't think I find it very fun. Your team of up to 3 bounty hunters stomp around the bayou tracking down a supernatural monster. Meanwhile, other teams of hunters are doing the same thing, and you have to balance your monster hunting with human hunting. I think I would enjoy it more if it was just hunting monsters without other humans around, but they don't give you that option so I don't really know. I doubt I will buy it, despite some of my online friends owning it already.

Still playing a lot of Apex Legends. The new winter train assault game mode is fun, but crash-prone.

I think I've had my fill of Crackdown 3. It's very much the same thing over and over, and I'm just going through the motions.

I wish more games would take a page from Outer Worlds' book; get rid of filler, make a nice, lean game that has an ending that won't take a year to see.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
16 Dec 2019 10:18 #305156 by jeb
CRACKDOWN 3 would need to be better than CRACDKDOWN, which was great. I can still play that, it's a blast. I haven't heard anything to make me move on this front, so there I go. I am not sure why I feel this way about CRACKDOWN as a franchise. I have like four DARK SOULS games and they are samey. I think there's a story element working in those that CRACKDOWN never needed. It's just collecting orbs and doing cool shit.

More
17 Dec 2019 11:39 #305192 by RobertB
My coworkers couldn't shut up about it, so I bought Battletech this past weekend. I've only played about 10 hours or so, but I'm liking it. It's taking me back to my Mechwarrior 2 days, but in slow motion.

I haven't finished Borderlands 3, and I'm not sure if I will. It's good, but a little too much of the same for me at the moment.

More
17 Dec 2019 12:07 - 17 Dec 2019 12:07 #305194 by hotseatgames
Have you tried the co-op in MechWarrior? That aspect of it has me very interested.
Last edit: 17 Dec 2019 12:07 by hotseatgames.

More
17 Dec 2019 14:12 #305198 by WadeMonnig
My mechwarror 2 days were stay at max possible distance, lock missiles, fire, back up and repeat lol
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen

More
17 Dec 2019 14:35 #305202 by Gary Sax
A Catapult man, then.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WadeMonnig

More
17 Dec 2019 14:57 #305205 by RobertB

hotseatgames wrote: Have you tried the co-op in MechWarrior? That aspect of it has me very interested.

Two of my coworkers do 4v4, but I haven't heard anything about co-op.

More
17 Dec 2019 15:01 #305206 by Gary Sax
You can co-op the campaign once you get past like the first mission in, I watched someone do it on a stream.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RobertB

More
17 Dec 2019 15:07 #305208 by RobertB
Ah, gotcha. My brainwashing coworkers have moved on from the Campaign, and are all doing Career mode now.

More
18 Dec 2019 03:04 #305219 by Gary Sax
After ages of just sitting with it staring at my hard drive, I finally played 5-6 hours of obra dinn, I had only played a couple before but I was super impressed. I'm still very impressed, everyone should get it. It rules, I'm getting toward being done.

That said, there is one pretty bullshit connect that if you don't find it really stops you in your tracks. It's poor design. I also think that the back half is weaker than the front half. I'm also a little ehhh about pretty traditional pulpy orientalism stuff, but I rolled with it because the premise is so good.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

More
18 Dec 2019 07:20 #305220 by Ah_Pook
Friend got me Bloodstained for my birthday, which I fired up last night. I mean it's pretty much exactly what it says it's going to be... but if you want Symphony of the Night but a new game, it's a delight. I'm really enjoying it so far.

More
18 Dec 2019 07:48 #305221 by hotseatgames
Bloodstained is cool! A bit overwhelming, though. There are a lot of systems.

Last night I finally checked out Slay the Spire, and proceeded to play for an hour. I like that game a lot, so far. It helps that I pretty much knew what to expect since it's pretty much doing stuff we have seen in deck builders for a long time.

More
27 Dec 2019 19:25 #305573 by Disgustipater
I was persuaded to get into Hunt Showdown , as a bunch of my friends are playing. It's an FPS set in a supernatural version the 1890s, using period-specific weapons. It's sort of a mini-version of a battle royale but also has a weird monster bounty hunter main goal. There are NPC zombies wandering around and everyone is looking for 3 clues that point you toward the location of the boss. Once you kill the boss, you have to banish it, which lets everyone on the map know where you are, which takes several minutes. Then you have to take the bounty tokens it drops (which lets everyone else track you) to an extraction point on one of the edges of the maps, the wait another 30 seconds to actually win/survive.

The interesting thing is you can level up your hunters and give them better gear for future matches, but if you die, you lose them and all their gear. So playing with a higher level hunter is pretty nerve-wracking. At any point during a match you can go to an extraction point to leave the match if you think things will go bad, so you don't lose your guy.

I figured I would like it well enough to play with friends, but the leveling up aspect has hooked me and I've really gotten into it. This game should mainly be played with one or two other people on your team, however there is a single player mode that is sort of a King of the Hill version of the game that is good to get XP and PvP experience.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 1.147 seconds