October 09, 2023
2295 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2511 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What VIDEO GAME(s) have you been playing?

More
27 Dec 2019 19:30 #305575 by Gary Sax
Hunt showdown's visuals are striking.

I just bought Outer Wilds after the end of the year acclaim it's receiving. Sounds like my shit.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Dec 2019 21:37 - 28 Dec 2019 00:12 #305580 by hotseatgames
Hunt Showdown... I don't really find it fun. I debated getting it anyway just to play with the gang. The audio is amazing!

update: I bought it, and we just finished a couple of successful hunts. It was fun! The game has a real aesthetic to it that is unique and creepy. A "death in the bayou" kind of thing.
Last edit: 28 Dec 2019 00:12 by hotseatgames.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
28 Dec 2019 08:59 #305586 by Gary Sax
Played the first hour or so of outer wilds. I see why it has put people off, it starts SLOOOOOW and poorly. Moreover the controls are going to require some practice.

Now that it has opened up, things are getting more interesting though.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames

More
29 Dec 2019 13:22 #305618 by Gary Sax
Now after 2-3 hours in, I am utterly hooked on Outer Wilds. It is also gorgeous aesthetically in every way, the music is amazing. If you want my advice, head straight for the water planet and start there. The game really wants you to pick up the main thread of the narrative but lets you fuck around if you want to and bore yourself. And yes, the space mechanics are a bit difficult to pick up.

I recommend everyone who likes adventure and exploration games pick this up. It's a must have, rocketing to my best games this year.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike

More
30 Dec 2019 21:15 - 30 Dec 2019 21:15 #305638 by san il defanso
Lots of new Switch games here. I've been playing DK: Tropical Freeze quite a bit. I missed it when it was on the Wii U, so this has been lots of fun. It definitely feels like a better version of DK Country Returns, with no Wii waggle and better levels.

We also got Breath of the Wild for Switch. I bought the Wii U version of this originally, but the disc quit working for some reason. So starting a new quest, I was reminded of just how special that game was to me. So I've been chipping away at a new game of that one. Still my favorite game of the decade, and it might be my new favorite game ever, beating out the Mario Galaxy games.
Last edit: 30 Dec 2019 21:15 by san il defanso.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

More
31 Dec 2019 07:55 #305649 by Ah_Pook
Mario Odyssey, Cadence of Hyrule, and Bloodstained combined to finally pull me out of my Mario Maker 2 k hole. I still play MM2, but at least it's not all MM2 all the time for like 8 hours at a time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, Gary Sax

More
01 Jan 2020 13:00 #305669 by hotseatgames
I bought some classic RPGs from gog.com during their sale. These are all highly regarded, and they are the remaster editions that have "story mode" difficulty so you can just waltz through the game and enjoy things without having combat kick your ass all the time. I bought:

Baldur's Gate
Baldur's Gate 2
Planescape: Torment
Icewind Dale

I decided to start with Baldur's Gate since it was the oldest and I reasoned that it probably holds up the worst. I am not terribly far in, and I am having two major difficulties:

1. There doesn't seem to be a way to speed up walking from place to place, which takes fucking forever, and makes me not even want to engage with side quests.

2. The voice samples are repetitive to a fault. When I click a destination for my main character, they utter, 9 times out of 10, "I'm on it, like ugly on an orc!" This is lame the first time, annoying the fifth time, and by now... oh man.

Can someone who has experienced one or more of these games tell me if I should stick with Baldur's Gate, tell it to fuck off, etc.?
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

More
01 Jan 2020 15:03 - 01 Jan 2020 15:08 #305673 by ChristopherMD
1. No, there is no way to speed up. You can select a long-distance destination and go make a cup of coffee or something while they walk there on their own. That's about the best of it.

2. All the characters have their lame catchphrases. Some of them have become iconic. I forget, but there might be a way to shut them off. You can change their voices and phrases but the selection is limited.

Icewind Dale is more straight-forward instead of wandering around on side-quests like Baldur's Gate. Also with both games you can create up to a whole starting party not just a single character if you don't want to rely completely on random NPC's joining. For me the fun is getting into combats while managing a party of characters so I create several to start with. XP is split though so the more characters you have the slower they all level. Back in the day I also read every book in every library and explored every inch of every map, but that was when I was younger with more free time and these were among the hottest games. I tried playing BG again not long ago and couldn't get back into it. Been spoiled by newer games I guess. I do keep ID on my laptop still in case I get an urge for this type of AD&D ruleset game.

Edit: I highly recommend going into options and setting to Auto-Pause whenever combat starts.
Last edit: 01 Jan 2020 15:08 by ChristopherMD.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, Gary Sax, hotseatgames

More
01 Jan 2020 21:23 #305675 by Gary Sax
I started playing darkest dungeon again after bouncing off a couple times. It's going a little better this time, I'm less invested in my characters and I'm paying a lot more attention to damage over time abilities.

More
02 Jan 2020 11:21 #305685 by jeb
I beat STEAMWORLD:QUEST. It got really tough at the end, I had to make a bunch of upgrades and purchases to get through the last few battles. You need to be pretty tuned at a couple of spots. There's a solid New Game+ mode that I'll spend time in, too, actually. It's that good. I recommend dialing up the combat speed though.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames

More
02 Jan 2020 12:08 #305688 by lj1983
we picked up a switch for half off over black Friday, so it's been Mario odyssey pretty much non stop since Christmas. what an amazing game. we picked up some others for relatively cheap too, Mario + Rabbids Kingdom battle is a surprisingly fun turn based game.

I might get Breath of the Wild for the switch, even though I have it and all the DLC on the Wii u. my kids broke my wiiu tablet again, so I'm working through repair on it.

More
02 Jan 2020 12:10 #305689 by lj1983

hotseatgames wrote: I bought some classic RPGs from gog.com during their sale. These are all highly regarded, and they are the remaster editions that have "story mode" difficulty so you can just waltz through the game and enjoy things without having combat kick your ass all the time. I bought:

Baldur's Gate
Baldur's Gate 2
Planescape: Torment
Icewind Dale

I decided to start with Baldur's Gate since it was the oldest and I reasoned that it probably holds up the worst. I am not terribly far in, and I am having two major difficulties:

1. There doesn't seem to be a way to speed up walking from place to place, which takes fucking forever, and makes me not even want to engage with side quests.

2. The voice samples are repetitive to a fault. When I click a destination for my main character, they utter, 9 times out of 10, "I'm on it, like ugly on an orc!" This is lame the first time, annoying the fifth time, and by now... oh man.

Can someone who has experienced one or more of these games tell me if I should stick with Baldur's Gate, tell it to fuck off, etc.?

I've played all but icewind dale. Baldur's gate 1 is a good game, but it's the weakest of the 3. Honestly, you aren't missing a ton if you skip it IMO.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen, hotseatgames

More
03 Jan 2020 20:29 #305755 by Sevej
I'd say skip these "classics." May be just Icewind Dale. It's so straightforward. Baldur's Gate I is the most outdated, and Baldur's Gate II is simply overwhelming. Until know I've avoided most of these neo-classic RPGs like Pillars of Eternity, Divinity, Wasteland 2 etc. I like the idea of playing them, but I found myself not liking actually playing them.

More
04 Jan 2020 00:31 #305759 by Gary Sax
I still think BGII is worth playing, but agree that no fast travel BGI is just not worth it.

More
04 Jan 2020 12:19 #305768 by hotseatgames
Thanks all! For the time being this has been tabled, I gave up on BG1 and I've been playing Tower of Time which was a giveaway from gog.com during the holiday sale.

It is super fun! I think it borrows a lot from these games but throws in a dash of Diablo and even some of the old game, Nox. I am enjoying it.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.798 seconds