October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2509 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What VIDEO GAME(s) have you been playing?

More
05 Jan 2020 15:01 #305790 by jeb
I beat UNTITLED GOOSE GAME yesterday. The amount of effort on investing you in gooseness is amazing. You really feel like these people are being unreasonable when they try to keep you from breaking every damn thing in their town.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Jan 2020 20:05 #305809 by the_jake_1973

Sevej wrote: I'd say skip these "classics." May be just Icewind Dale. It's so straightforward. Baldur's Gate I is the most outdated, and Baldur's Gate II is simply overwhelming. Until know I've avoided most of these neo-classic RPGs like Pillars of Eternity, Divinity, Wasteland 2 etc. I like the idea of playing them, but I found myself not liking actually playing them.

I tried playing Divinity since I liked BG back in the day. But, Jesus, so much reading. It bored me to death and made the game seem like a chore.

More
05 Jan 2020 20:44 #305810 by Ah_Pook
I've beaten Bloodstained and all the optional bosses and had a blast doing so. Trying to decide if I feel like grinding out the 100% for the Platinum trophy or not. I'm pretty close but 100% item list is going to take some BS, and then 500k hold is just a boring mindless grind. Well see. Great game though, even if it did have some issues with actually telling you where you need to go to progress.

Also, @dysjunct and I continue playing TTA online constantly. He's steadily improving but hasn't beaten me quite yet. The last couple have been real close things though. If anyone else wants in on digital Through The Ages hit me up, we've been playing 4p with randos filling the other slots.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, Gary Sax, hotseatgames

More
05 Jan 2020 21:05 #305813 by Jexik
I picked up Gloomhaven on Steam and I'm mildly underwhelmed.

Then I beat Slay the Spire (+) with the Silent, after a number of tries. I had a really neat deck built around Shivs and some relics that really lent well to that strategy. (Like play 3 attacks get extra dexterity, and another that gives 4 block).
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

More
05 Jan 2020 21:13 #305814 by Ah_Pook
Underwhelmed with the digital implementation of gloomhaven, or with the game itself?
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

More
05 Jan 2020 21:53 #305820 by Jexik
With Gloomhaven, mostly, or maybe I just don't like running with the Tinker and Scoundrel as my two picks. Tinker has a lot of healing which seems like something that would come in handy in a larger group. It just felt pretty clunky and I often couldn't do anything that I wanted to. The digital implementation seems pretty faithful and good.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
06 Jan 2020 23:03 - 06 Jan 2020 23:12 #305885 by Gary Sax
Most of Outer Wilds is still blowing me away, but one part of it is proving frustrating enough to send me to (mostly unhelpful for the true problem) guides and really lower my rating. Specifically:

Warning: Spoiler!
Last edit: 06 Jan 2020 23:12 by Gary Sax.
The following user(s) said Thank You: lj1983

More
09 Jan 2020 10:14 #305967 by hotseatgames
Got back into Return of the Obra Dinn after stumbling into a big clue regarding several crew, and while I'm not making amazing progress, I think I'm finally moving forward. I feel like the game will open up quite a bit if I can just figure out a couple of these assholes' names.

More
09 Jan 2020 11:41 #305977 by Gary Sax
Yeah, there are moments where you want to quit.

I will say what I found helpful was to try to find another location when I got out of wind. I'd get into this loop where I"d open up a location and be like "now I need to ID everyone here before I move on." Not a good idea. Once you have all the locations and vignettes opened, then you can generally make progress.

There is a critical location that is very easy to miss. It's an item on the ground.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames

More
09 Jan 2020 11:46 #305979 by Gary Sax
Sorry to quick double post---I just finished outer wilds. I thought its ending was very good but the game is really let down later in the game in some of the more crucial locations by demanding execution that it really has no particular reason it should demand. I would still strongly recommend it, it's incredibly unique despite its flaws.

Warning: Spoiler!
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames, Ah_Pook

More
09 Jan 2020 12:30 #305982 by hotseatgames

Gary Sax wrote: There is a critical location that is very easy to miss. It's an item on the ground.

Hmm... I'm not sure I have found that. I have watched the various scenes several times and still I stumble upon some detail I missed. I am playing on the Switch in handheld mode, and the smaller screen doesn't help.

More
09 Jan 2020 13:19 #305988 by jeb
I'll cook up a thread on OBRA DINN. I'm breaking out a notebook and getting to work on this. Let's work on it together.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, hotseatgames

More
09 Jan 2020 15:04 #305993 by hotseatgames
Turned out there was a body tucked away and I just found it. That started a landslide of events.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
10 Jan 2020 10:24 #306009 by SebastianBludd
I've started kicking the boys off the PS4 so I could finally take a serious stab at finishing Bloodborne. I'd just finished Blood Starved Beast and, after grinding some levels, I beat the witch, Vicar Amelai and the Shadows of Yarnham and am thinking of exploring some earlier areas before the game changes after the Byrgenwerth boss. I have an awful sense of direction so I've been referring to maps just to find the points of ingress and egress from areas. Even with a map it took me a comically long time to find the Forbidden Woods entrance but I'm slowly getting familiar with the game's geography. Slowly.

My daughter and I just finished the story mode for Lego Harry Potter. She's a big HP fan and cackles like a loon at the comedic liberties the cutscenes take with the source material. It's her first Lego video game so she struggles a bit sometimes with the mechanics, especially since Lego HP is almost too complex - with the spells and how they're sometimes implemented - for what it is.

Our biggest hurdle has been that sometimes the game randomly stops detecting one of the controllers and we have to quit out of the game altogether and restart. The worst time was during the dragon chase sequence from Year 4 and we almost couldn't complete the level. Also, the fact that you don't have an evil character - required for Free Play and getting all the collectibles - by the time you finish Year 4 is bullshit. The game already has Free Play mode, it's not like it needs more padding.

She's also been asking to play Overcooked for a while so last night we played the first few levels from the first game. Once she got a little more familiar with the controls during the tutorial soup levels - and once I'd come to terms with the fact that I'm always in charge of dishes because she informed me that she doesn't wash them - things went a little more smoothly, but still chaotic, as Overcooked always goes.

The last level we played was a hamburger level, which is a little crazy considering that the previous three were single-ingredient soup levels. There's nothing quite like pans of cooked hamburgers on the counter and a plate with only a bun and lettuce on it to visually communicate that your Overcooked kitchen is not currently the well-oiled machine that it should be. We eventually scored a personal best (but still short of three stars, naturally) and there's something viscerally satisfying from using "O" to speed burst around the kitchen. Still not as satisfying as throwing ingredients in Overcooked 2, however.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, birdman37

More
11 Jan 2020 12:22 - 11 Jan 2020 12:23 #306036 by Ah_Pook

Ah_Pook wrote: I've beaten Bloodstained and all the optional bosses and had a blast doing so. Trying to decide if I feel like grinding out the 100% for the Platinum trophy or not. I'm pretty close but 100% item list is going to take some BS, and then 500k hold is just a boring mindless grind. Well see. Great game though, even if it did have some issues with actually telling you where you need to go to progress.

Well I did it. Getting 100% map and items was a little tedious but not hard, and then selling all the crafting stuff and weapons/armor after I was done crafting everything got me to 500k easy. Probably 3-4 hours of cleanup total. Mainly i just wanted to keep playing Bloodstained, even if it was just to do tedious bs. Now I'm looking at this copy of Symphony of the Night I've got as part of one of the Castlevania ps4 bundles like... Do I want more right now?
Last edit: 11 Jan 2020 12:23 by Ah_Pook.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, hotseatgames

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.505 seconds