October 09, 2023
2444 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2645 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What VIDEO GAME(s) have you been playing?

More
14 Apr 2020 14:47 #309254 by Legomancer

Gary Sax wrote: Great game, though. You aren't wrong the mechanics of flying are tricky and require practice, wasn't my favorite part of the game.

Yeah, that's not going to happen.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Apr 2020 14:57 #309256 by ChristopherMD

Legomancer wrote: I bought The Outer Wilds after hearing that it might suit my need for a chill explore/puzzle game. What no one mentioned is the physics based flight/landing sim it's built around. Fuck that. I'm no good at flying this stupid little ship and it's not fun. Absolute waste of my money, and I'm not happy.

How do you feel about walking simulators? No puzzles but I can recommend Everyones Gone to the Rapture if you just want to chill and explore.

More
14 Apr 2020 15:00 #309257 by hotseatgames
Picked up Resident Evil 2 finally. So far it's great, although I'm only a little farther than the demo from when it came out.

More
14 Apr 2020 19:19 #309263 by Brewmiester
The past weekend Vermintide II had a double experience points event going on so I binged some and leveled 3 of the five characters up to 30.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
14 Apr 2020 19:42 #309265 by boothwah
I've had to farm money the last few days to max out storage space on BL3, because of the last couple of loot events. I power leveled my two lowest characters so that I could clear all the < 30 legendaries out of storage.

So much loot to sort, but I haven't figured out my end game build for 3 toons yet.

I'm at the point now that I just vendor legendary guns if there is no anoint on them.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

More
14 Apr 2020 20:06 - 16 Apr 2020 17:21 #309267 by Gary Sax
In Stellaris, my powerful ally and I narrowed the space security council to two members and instituted an institutional veto of any galactic policy for security council members. Love the new additions even if the AI probably still needs a little more voting training.

The AI is improved in the rest of the game, good enough for me to be content since I'm not very min-max-ey in this game, but still not as big a challenge as it should be.

They've added so many toys to the endgame of the game after so many expansions and patches, I love it. Just built a matter decompressor in a black hole and a death star. Death star is pretty useless tbh, not a great use of a unity perk.
Last edit: 16 Apr 2020 17:21 by Gary Sax.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ThirstyMan

More
16 Apr 2020 14:00 #309299 by jeb
@Legomancer What about THE WITNESS? That's about as "walk-around" and "puzzle" as a game has ever been.

More
16 Apr 2020 16:00 #309305 by ThirstyMan
I have this in my numerous list of unplayed Steam games. Is it any good?

I like puzzle games but not the ones where there is really no logical solution to the puzzles just some random order of doing stuff, I find those to be pretty frustrating.

What's your opinion on Witness ?

I'm currently playing Black Mesa which is a rework of Half Life with far better graphics and balance.

More
16 Apr 2020 17:19 #309316 by Disgustipater
The Witness is the best puzzle game I have ever played. There’s no random stuff at all. You are gradually being taught to figure stuff out that builds throughout the entire game. If you come across some puzzles that appear completely foreign, come back later and you should have a better context on how to solve it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, Ah_Pook

More
16 Apr 2020 17:20 #309317 by jeb

ThirstyMan wrote: I have this in my numerous list of unplayed Steam games. Is it any good?

I like puzzle games but not the ones where there is really no logical solution to the puzzles just some random order of doing stuff, I find those to be pretty frustrating.

What's your opinion on Witness ?

I'm currently playing Black Mesa which is a rework of Half Life with far better graphics and balance.

THE WITNESS is the best pure puzzle game I have ever played. It's on my all-time Top 10 of any game ever. So, I am pretty high on that game. It gets a lot right about how to do puzzle games, with "intro" material presented smartly for each puzzle type, but not overwhelming you with tedious bullshit. Very VERY polished. If you find a puzzle you can't do, it's because you didn't yet find the spot where they show you. And even then, maybe you'll sort it out.

I would ask you to avoid spoilers though, if only because there is a HUGE moment to best discover organically.

More
16 Apr 2020 17:24 #309318 by Gary Sax
I toppled the stagnant ascendancy (non-expansionist elder races that spawn in the galaxy) in my Stellaris endgame. I started insulting them and claiming their system, they started a war with me with a "punish" motivation, and then I descended on them and took their systems.

The hardest part, weirdly, was how powerful their armies were. I had to build a bunch of xenomorphs of out of desperation and land them on their planets because my vast armies of regular troops were having a really hard time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, Ah_Pook

More
16 Apr 2020 17:35 #309320 by Ah_Pook
I wish I could play the witness again for the first time. It's so good.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, BillyBobThwarton

More
16 Apr 2020 17:55 #309326 by san il defanso
There's a 2K Humble Bundle going on, with the Bioshock collection and the first three Borderlands games on there. Being a primarily Nintendo gamer until like a year ago, I'm experiencing both series for the first time.

I tinkered some with the original Bioshock last night and liked it, though stuff like that tends to make me edgy. But I went into a time warp with the first Borderlands. I shouldn't be surprised, its lineage is the same as other addictions I've had like Torchlight and Grim Dawn.

There was other stuff in the Bundle I've wanted to try, especially X-Com: Enemy Unknown, but I can tell you right now that I will SUCK at that game.

More
16 Apr 2020 19:05 - 16 Apr 2020 21:09 #309329 by hotseatgames
Witness is a good game. I recall one frustration stemming from coming back to it after not playing for a long time: it doesn't highlight WHERE it teaches you the mechanics, so if you forget how a puzzle type works, you have to scrounge around a bit to find where it's introduced.

Edit-
Still enjoying the hell out of Resident Evil 2, although I suddenly find myself constantly out of ammo, and Mister X finally made his appearance. Yikes.
Last edit: 16 Apr 2020 21:09 by hotseatgames.

More
17 Apr 2020 08:41 #309338 by Legomancer
I love The Witness but I've played through it twice now. I agree that something like it would be perfect. I hear good things about the Talos Principle, but I'm super wary since getting burned on Obduction (crazy hard puzzles) and Outer Wilds (video game work is still work).

I should just stick with NMS and continue working around all the gee whiz stuff they want be to be interested in even though I'm not.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.460 seconds