October 09, 2023
2498 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2699 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What VIDEO GAME(s) have you been playing?

More
28 Apr 2020 10:12 #309727 by the_jake_1973
Online fighting games just don't have the same magic as the pass n play couch gatherings I grew up with or the 'next quarter plays' in the arcade. I wish I had more local friends that were into fighting games. I'm a SSF(non turbo) and Soul Calibur fan boy.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen, jeb

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Apr 2020 12:14 #309738 by Rliyen

the_jake_1973 wrote: Online fighting games just don't have the same magic as the pass n play couch gatherings I grew up with or the 'next quarter plays' in the arcade. I wish I had more local friends that were into fighting games. I'm a SSF(non turbo) and Soul Calibur fan boy.

It misses the ambiance of yelling obscenities like a person off their Tourette's medication, followed by the arm punch to your friend after you lose.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, Cranberries, the_jake_1973

More
28 Apr 2020 14:02 - 28 Apr 2020 14:14 #309749 by Ah_Pook

Disgustipater wrote: I played a lot of SFIV and really miss playing a fighting game. I don’t have a PS4 so I never got into SFV. I know it’s on PC now but it’s been out for years and with no friends to play, it doesn't seem like the best purchase. I was looking at Gran Blue Fantasy Versus, as it has a similar pace as Street Fighter, but again, seems less fun without friends to play with.

Sfv has cross platform play, if you do pick it up at some point and want to fight some streets :) The Championship Edition just came out a few months ago, and includes all the characters and costumes and stuff, and also a new balance pass. Not a bad time to grab it tbh.

Edit: if anyone else here wants to get into some online lobbies I'm all the way into it. Get a street fighter group going :)
Last edit: 28 Apr 2020 14:14 by Ah_Pook.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, Disgustipater, the_jake_1973

More
28 Apr 2020 14:34 #309752 by dysjunct
My favorite special move was always the Challenge Block, when some guy in the arcade only wanted to play vs the CPU and would press his knee against the coin slot to prevent you from putting your credit it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen

More
28 Apr 2020 14:36 #309753 by Gary Sax
I decided to spend the 5 bucks this month and subscribe to xbox game pass for PC. I just downloaded the Ori sequel and Gears Tactics, I'll report back on how they are.

It's a pretty good deal, and you only need to pop in for like a month or two while you want to play what's on it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames

More
28 Apr 2020 14:44 #309755 by hotseatgames
When I've had my fill of XCOM Chimera Squad, I'll be doing game pass to get Gears Tactics, for sure.

More
28 Apr 2020 16:26 #309759 by Gary Sax
The level above intermediate, "experienced," is very difficult.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames

More
28 Apr 2020 16:32 #309760 by Ah_Pook
Having not played fighting games online for a long time, I forgot how salty they make me lol. I'm fine losing to people that are obviously better than me, but BS lag tactics are so annoying.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

More
28 Apr 2020 18:06 - 28 Apr 2020 20:21 #309764 by Disgustipater
Looks like the base game of SFV is only $5. No harm in trying it out for that price. There’s no discount for buying Championship edition vs the upgrade, so I can always go that route later (or sooner).

Edit 2 - okay, it’s $8 right now. The CE bundle lists it as $5 though you can’t buy it at that, so it is a couple dollars in savings. And it does look like I’d have all the balance updates.

Time to break out my stick...

Edit - Although I guess it depends on how they handle balance changes. I wonder if the base game gets the newest changes? I know SFIV did not work that way, and they said they were doing things different with this one, but who knows.
Last edit: 28 Apr 2020 20:21 by Disgustipater.

More
29 Apr 2020 01:07 - 29 Apr 2020 01:50 #309771 by Disgustipater
@Ah_Pook

Ok, I just got SFV CE. You better play with me.

Username is Disgustipater
Last edit: 29 Apr 2020 01:50 by Disgustipater.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ah_Pook

More
29 Apr 2020 08:09 #309774 by Ah_Pook

Disgustipater wrote: @Ah_Pook

Ok, I just got SFV CE. You better play with me.

Username is Disgustipater

I'm in like Flynn!

More
29 Apr 2020 22:35 - 29 Apr 2020 22:37 #309800 by charlest
I hadn't really played a video game, aside from stuff on the phone, in 6 years. Finally got a new PC in March and got back to it.

Played a ton of Insurgency: Sandstorm on Steam. I was always an Arma fan (and Operation Flashpoint before that), so this style of realistic military shooter really appeals. This is less of a walking sim than Arma and kind of in between it and Call of Duty in playstyle. It's damn intense and I've put over 70 hours into it the past month and a half.

My PC came with four free months of XBox Live PC so I gave Outer Worlds a shot. Not really feeling it though and uninstalled after less than an hour.

Just fired up Gears Tactics today which I was greatly anticipating, really digging it. I loved the first Gears of War on Xbox and I'm also a huge fan of Fallout Tactics, FF Tactics, and of course XCOM so this was an easy choice. May fire up Gears 5 to if I get bored at a later date.

Impressed with how they captured the Gears mechanics in a turn based game like this. Closing emergence holes and executions all feel spot on. Love how it encourages a more loose and aggressive playstyle as opposed to XCOM's more deliberate pace.
Last edit: 29 Apr 2020 22:37 by charlest.

More
29 Apr 2020 23:51 #309804 by hotseatgames
Gears Tactics looks so damn cool, I'm excited to check that out. As for me, XCOM Chimera Squad has been ratcheting up the difficulty. There is a particular breed of alien that has mind control powers. One of them is actually on my team, but MAAANNNNN does it suck when an enemy fucking mind controls half of your 4 person squad.

That said, when I do it to them, it's hilarious.

More
30 Apr 2020 00:37 - 30 Apr 2020 00:38 #309805 by Gary Sax
The directional overwatch with multiple shots is really really good.
Last edit: 30 Apr 2020 00:38 by Gary Sax.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, hotseatgames

More
30 Apr 2020 11:22 #309809 by jeb
When I saw GEARS TACTICS getting some buzz on Rock Paper Shotgun, I thought immediately of the XCOM/INTO THE BREACH crowd here and how nuts they will go on this. Have fun you guys!

I am back on my HEARTHSTONE kick. Blizzard's six-month-ban is over, and the allure of their products is irresistible. It's just the best. This reminds me, if anyone here wants a coach/mentor on HEARTHSTONE, let me know. I can get you set up and rolling on the best free-to-play CCG ever made.

I am dabbling in SLAY THE SPIRE on Switch. It's fun, but the art style and fonts, &c are hot garbage. It's like your high school friend that was really into D&D spent all week on the creature designs. Obviously, there's a through-line to DREAM QUEST here, but that one had absolutely no pretensions at being a serious attempt.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.502 seconds