U
ubarose
July 31, 2020
987 0
U
ubarose
July 31, 2020
593 0
× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What VIDEO GAME(s) have you been playing?

More
30 Apr 2020 18:48 #309822 by Gary Sax
The new Ori is an extremely good platformer. I think that it's noticeably worse than Hollow Knight in terms of the combat elements, however, but still solid.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Apr 2020 20:14 #309825 by dysjunct
I am excited for Slay the Spire to come out for iOS, whenever that is. I have no taste or critical faculties so those fonts sound great to me.

More
01 May 2020 11:37 #309841 by Andi Lennon
I'm alternating between another run-through of Sunless Sea for it's peerless atmosphere and storytelling and a bunch of doujin shmups i recently picked up in Japan for their weird juxtaposition of sugar rush spectacle and no-mind zen play-state.

Oh and Streets of Rage 4 just landed so my latent megadrive muscles are prepped for some old-school RSI.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen, Gary Sax, BillyBobThwarton

More
01 May 2020 12:18 #309848 by Gary Sax
I liked Sunless Skies a little bit better gameplaywise, iirc it's not quite as punishing in a lot of ways. So if you see it online on sale definitely think about picking it up. Same good prose and stories, though.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen, Andi Lennon

More
01 May 2020 18:52 #309856 by Andi Lennon
Sunless Skies was actually the very first game I bought when I finally got around to getting steam last year! I played Sunless Sea via the PS4 port. I think overall I still prefer seas because of the nautical theme and superior soundtrack, though I fully intend to play more of skies, perhaps when the port lands. Call me a heathen but I much prefer settling in on the couch for long sessions with the controller than hunching up against my desktop. Oh, have you also played Fallen London and Cultist Simulator? The former is a brief but welcome window out of day job drudgery and the latter a bafflingly intriguing digital card game with a similar pedigree.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen, Gary Sax

More
01 May 2020 18:55 #309857 by Gary Sax
I played a *lot* of Cultist Simulator when it first came out, I think I got the ending for two of the colors?

I thought the discovery of the spells and summons was absolutely amazing in Cultist Simulator.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen, Andi Lennon

More
01 May 2020 19:11 #309858 by Ah_Pook
Finished Doom Eternal, kinda hated it. They buried the good stuff from Doom 2016 under infinite piles of chaotic enemy spam, so many subsystems that you forget what you're doing, tons of awful platforming, and a novels worth of the worst most poorly told story I've come across in a while. Such a huge letdown after Doom 2016, one of my very favorite games of recent memory.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, Gary Sax, BillyBobThwarton

More
01 May 2020 22:00 #309861 by Gary Sax
I don't have a bug thing but Ori has the most horrifying underground bug level I've ever seen. Grosser than Hollow Knight.

More
02 May 2020 20:46 #309871 by hotseatgames
I just beat Resident Evil 2 with Claire Redfield. That game is so good! I have 3 "ghost" dlc missions. I'll check those out soon.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, Gary Sax, WadeMonnig, Ah_Pook

More
04 May 2020 09:07 #309892 by RobertB
XCOM2. All the talk about Chimera Squad convinced me to buy it, and then all the in-game discussion about Advent made me buy XCOM2. That game is HARD! I try not to reload too much, but I still have to from time to time. Even with that, I've restarted a bunch of times (5? 6?) because I've got six rookies and a must-do Avatar mission. I'm starting to get the hang of it, though.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

More
04 May 2020 11:20 #309896 by Rliyen
I need an intervention or, at least, play Monster Hunter World.

Played Destiny this weekend. My motto is WAKE. DESTINY. SLEEP (OPTIONAL).

Finishing the remainder missions on the Taken King is a pain in the ass solo. Yesterday morning was me yelling profanities at the screen trying to kill the Oryx Echo that Ikora tasked me to hunt down. I was able to wipe it, after several SEVERAL attempts, by going back to the area where you first land on the final platform on the Spire. Jumped to the highest post there and sniped and RL'ed the fucker into oblivion.

Zavala's Echo Hunt is a Rube Goldberg Setup of Fuckery that I will not deal with until my light level is high enough to one shot the fucker.

In the meantime, I decided to change factions. I left Dead Orbit ( I know I shouldn't have, but I wanted to try something new). Told Jalaal to go fuck himself (headcanon) and went upstairs to apply with Future War Cult.

Now, I'm low man on the totem with FWC, and currently I'm still decked out with Dead Orbit armor and weapons. Hey, I upped those puppies. No sense in throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

Now, with an Orange/Dark color scheme I got from the Queen's Wrath, along with a ship highlighted in the same hue, I look like the Hobgoblin variant from Spider Man.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, Nodens

More
04 May 2020 11:32 #309902 by Rliyen

Gary Sax wrote: I played a *lot* of Cultist Simulator when it first came out, I think I got the ending for two of the colors?

I thought the discovery of the spells and summons was absolutely amazing in Cultist Simulator.

One of the best time sinks I've ever played. And I loved the "What's this do?" feel of it.

More
04 May 2020 11:38 #309903 by Gary Sax
It's a great example of the learning as the game phenomenon. Most games include it as only part of their game---see Dark Souls---but Cultist Simulator isn't afraid to make it the whole game.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen, jeb

More
05 May 2020 01:25 #309946 by Ah_Pook
My wife and I played through Donut County this evening, as it was on sale for like $3 on the ps4. It was a solid 90 minutes of Katamari Damacyesque surreal silliness, followed by 30 minutes of messing around and getting the platinum trophy. You create holes underneath things, and the more things you fall into your hole the bigger the hole gets. It was an amusing way to spend a couple hours.

I've also been playing Steep , an open world snowboarding/wingsuit game from Ubisoft. It was free with ps+ at some point, and I'm enjoying it with some caveats. The main issue is that the harder missions/races are basically running the dice and seeing if the wonky physics engine lets you win. Second issue is that it had some really dubious always online stuff and microtransactions shoved down your throat. Aside from that, it's a lot of fun to ski around the insanely huge mountains and find fun lines and stuff. It looks great, and it feels great as long as you're not trying to do some super precise BS that the game wants you to do but the game engine doesn't actually let you do very well. Oh also there's a lot of just god awful EXTREME SPORTS attitude bs every time anyone says anything that you have to tune out. So yea, lot of caveats on this one lol.

More
05 May 2020 02:18 #309948 by san il defanso
Keeping up with my tradition of playing games well over a decade after they finished the left the zeitgeist, I recently finished Bioshock. This will probably not surprise a lot of you, but I like it a lot. I feel like it was a real triumph of atmosphere and environment, combined with some great level design. The "ideas" of the game were a bit less front-and-center than I expected, but I don't think that's a bad thing at all.

I know its lineage is in much more open, less linear games like System Shock 2, but I felt like the level of openness the game gave me was just about perfect for me. It's definitely divided into the actual levels, but within those levels there can be a lot of freedom and room for customization. I liked finding different weapon/plasmid combos that felt right for me, and it felt rewarding to explore all of the different nooks and crannies of the different levels. The other pleasure was that Rapture really felt like a physical place. I especially got that from levels like Fort Frolic, which had the feeling of a big open-air mall gone to hell.

Had a great time finally seeing what all the fuss was about, a mere 13 years late. I've already started Bioshock 2.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen, jeb, Frohike, Gregarius

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.197 seconds