U
ubarose
July 31, 2020
987 0
U
ubarose
July 31, 2020
593 0
× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What VIDEO GAME(s) have you been playing?

More
05 May 2020 11:27 #309958 by Michael Barnes
I’m in the minority but I liked Bioshock 2 more. I thought it had some more interesting encounters and a deeper (har har) theme. Both are excellent games and kind of the pinnacle of that era of narrative shooter design.

Bioshock Infinite on the other hand is total trash.

I’m in an arcade-y, Sega-y mood. The new Streets of Rage 4 is SPECTACULAR. It is the best beat ‘em up I’ve ever played. It cheats over the Capcom classics and the old Sega games by virtue of its modernity, but the gameplay is classical and the tone is pitch perfect. The new characters are awesome, and it strikes a perfect balance of nostalgia and freshness. The local co-op is fun as hell (friendly hits ON) and it’s hard as hell. 10/10.

Virtua Racing is sooooo good in Switch...I haven’t played it since the arcade and I think M2 actually managed to improve it. It’s just an outstanding 100% skill based arcade game. Bonus for the weird 1992 polygon people.

I wanted to play a old style RC Pro-Am/Rock n’ Roll Racing thing and this led to Gotcha Racing 2. It’s an obscure $10 eShop title done by Arc System Works of all companies and it is goofy and weird in the way that a lot of great DS games were. You race to earn money and then spend money in a gacha machine to get new car parts to customize your racers. There are over 700 parts. It’s stupidly addictive. The races are quick and pretty challenging, and then you’ve got the depth of working out gear combinations. I wish I was playing it right now.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames, Frohike

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 May 2020 16:06 - 05 May 2020 16:06 #309964 by Ah_Pook
The Warhammer 40k Diablo game is on sale for $10 on PS4 so I bought it. Apparently it got a huge patch around the beginning of the year that basically reworked the entire game and made it good (?). Will report back, it looked fun from the gameplay I watched though.

Also if memory serves the finale of Bioshock was so bad that it kinda soured me on it, but I honestly don't remember at this point. I do remember thinking the second one was a lot better mechanically, and then that Infinite was even better than that. Zipping around on those ziplines was fun.
Last edit: 05 May 2020 16:06 by Ah_Pook.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
05 May 2020 22:35 #309977 by san il defanso
I'm generally pretty forgiving of endings on video games, so Bioshock didn't bother me much. That said, after you have the big twist in the game, it does feel like every other story beat is kind of a come-down. That said, a couple of my favorite levels were in the back half of the game, and that helped me a lot. The story becomes less interesting then, but I still enjoyed the game play.

I have heard such extreme responses to Bioshock Infinite, good and bad, that I'm actually really looking forward to trying it out.

More
06 May 2020 13:31 #310001 by RobertB
I thought Bioshock Infinite was on rails (no pun intended), but I liked it a lot. That robot George Washington with flags on his back and carrying a minigun always made me smile when I saw him, even though he was a bonafide PITA.
The following user(s) said Thank You: BillyBobThwarton

More
06 May 2020 13:36 #310002 by Ah_Pook
Can you expand on what you mean by on rails?

More
06 May 2020 14:47 #310005 by ChristopherMD
I've been pouring many hours into Banished on Steam. I always do the colonial charter mod with extra large map and Appalachian setting. Reached the production point where I'm able to start building an actual New England style village in the south now. I think why I find it so relaxing and engaging is there's no military aspect and I shut disasters off. So I can just build my supply chains and shape my colony.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, mezike

More
06 May 2020 15:49 #310008 by mezike
Banished is great, and the amount of work put in on the colonial charter mod is amazing.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD

More
06 May 2020 15:53 #310009 by mezike
Can’t think of the right thread to put this, but some friends and I just played an online escape room. There’s a lot of them popping up, this one was csigrounded.com
It was... okay? The acting was a bit ropey and the clues a bit simple, so more of an entry-level puzzle than one for aficionados. It worked out about £4 each and kept us entertained for an hour so we thought it was worth it. We’re going to check out some more of these.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, hotseatgames, Gregarius

More
07 May 2020 12:48 #310056 by Rliyen

san il defanso wrote: I'm generally pretty forgiving of endings on video games, so Bioshock didn't bother me much. That said, after you have the big twist in the game, it does feel like every other story beat is kind of a come-down. That said, a couple of my favorite levels were in the back half of the game, and that helped me a lot. The story becomes less interesting then, but I still enjoyed the game play.

I have heard such extreme responses to Bioshock Infinite, good and bad, that I'm actually really looking forward to trying it out.

I was such a pus when I played Bioshock. Never killed the Little Sisters. Even though I could, it just FELT WRONG. Thank you, Catholic upbringing and the crushing guilt that comes along with it!

More
07 May 2020 13:47 #310058 by RobertB

Ah_Pook wrote: Can you expand on what you mean by on rails?

I don't recall a lot of side quests in Bioshock Infinite. Do A, then B, then C. There might have been a few side quests in Bioshock Infinite, but not many.

I also really liked the story, in Infinite, but you kind of just shot your way through the story and didn't get a lot of choices there. The ending was the ending. There were a few choices that minorly impacted the story, but they basically just determined where you were 'shoot on sight', or if the shooting started after a short conversation. Compare and contrast with The Witcher 3, where you have different endings centered around
Warning: Spoiler! [ Click to expand ]

Finally, I don't know or remember if you've played Infinite or not. There's a system of mini-monorails that runs all through Columbia. You hang from the rail and travel, fight, etc, on the rails. Pretty cool.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ah_Pook

More
07 May 2020 14:22 #310062 by Gregarius
Like san il defanso, I'm always far behind the trend in video games. I really liked BioShock, I know I played 2 but I literally have no memory of it, and I played Infinite for a while but got bored.

For me, I'm playing Witcher 3 (Thank you, RobertB, for putting in that spoiler tag! And I didn't even click on it!). I'm not really sure how I feel about it. I like the world and the stories and the almost infinite choices of what to do next, but I'm really getting bogged down by all of the dialog. My opportunities for playing video games are fairly rare, and it sucks to sit down for an hour or so and basically not get to do anything but pick dialog options. What are these big swords on my back for? I gotta listen to this fat jerk explain why he beat his wife? Granted, I do like how the choices you make affect the direction of the story, so I shouldn't complain, but it just seems like there's so MUCH of it. Of course, last year I tried Shadows of Mordor and got bored because it was nothing but hacking, so I guess I'm just impossible to please.

Oh, and one other little complaint-- I'm kinda sick of having to min/max every stupid piece of armor or weaponry. Again, it's not the act of having to do it, it's the fact that there's just so much of it. If I rarely found new swords or gloves or whatever, it would be more interesting. But every mission I pick up a pile of loot that I have to value-judge whether it's worth an extra 10 pts in damage but loses 3% in chance of decapitation. Exhausting.
The following user(s) said Thank You: sornars

More
07 May 2020 15:09 - 07 May 2020 15:49 #310063 by Ah_Pook

RobertB wrote: Bioshock infinite stuff.

These things are true, I guess I just don't remember it being noticeably more linear than Bioshock 1+2.

Unrelatedly, Warhammer 40k Inquisitor Martyr is pretty okay. Worth $10 for sure. It's a solid b-tier action rpg. The story and the 40k setting are good. The action is fine. Slower paced than Diablo et Al, but that's okay. The pace is fine but there also a kinda if clunkiness to the entire game that is off-putting. All the menus, the movement, the combat, it all just feels budget and kinda off. The graphics are serviceable. Theres no good way to quickly sort through loot and find what you picked up that's maybe actually worth looking at, so after ever mission it's just a tedious trawl through your inventory. Also there's just systems on top of systems, random missions, repeatable missions, craftable missions, millions of different reps and currencies, on and on. Your actual skills are based on your equipped weapons, and don't seem to ever change per weapon type. Not a ton of different stuff on that front. Long story short, if you want a pretty good W40k story and some pretty fun hackin and slashin this will give you that. I don't think it's going to be anyone's favorite game though, and I would not have been into it at full price.
Last edit: 07 May 2020 15:49 by Ah_Pook.

More
07 May 2020 16:23 #310067 by RobertB

Gregarius wrote: Like san il defanso, I'm always far behind the trend in video games. I really liked BioShock, I know I played 2 but I literally have no memory of it, and I played Infinite for a while but got bored.

For me, I'm playing Witcher 3 (Thank you, RobertB, for putting in that spoiler tag! And I didn't even click on it!). I'm not really sure how I feel about it. I like the world and the stories and the almost infinite choices of what to do next, but I'm really getting bogged down by all of the dialog. My opportunities for playing video games are fairly rare, and it sucks to sit down for an hour or so and basically not get to do anything but pick dialog options. What are these big swords on my back for? I gotta listen to this fat jerk explain why he beat his wife? Granted, I do like how the choices you make affect the direction of the story, so I shouldn't complain, but it just seems like there's so MUCH of it. Of course, last year I tried Shadows of Mordor and got bored because it was nothing but hacking, so I guess I'm just impossible to please.

Oh, and one other little complaint-- I'm kinda sick of having to min/max every stupid piece of armor or weaponry. Again, it's not the act of having to do it, it's the fact that there's just so much of it. If I rarely found new swords or gloves or whatever, it would be more interesting. But every mission I pick up a pile of loot that I have to value-judge whether it's worth an extra 10 pts in damage but loses 3% in chance of decapitation. Exhausting.

Witcher 3 does talk a lot. For a video game, it's not a bad story, but there's a lot of it. The expansion I played a little bit of was even worse about talking; it was a combination of talking and "Find Blahdeblah's x, that was last seen way over there."

IANA Witcher 3 god, but my advice would be to work hard towards the Witcher-specific gear that fits your playstyle, and work to keep that up to level. It might get a little obsolete right before it upgrades, so keep an eye on your gear right before the Witcher gear becomes wearable again.

Also, do the missions that get you in good with the highest-level armorsmith and weaponsmith. There aren't many elite smiths. You might not have ran into them yet, but you will. Between the Witcher gear, the smiths, and the fact that you'll be flush with cash in the middle of the game, you shouldn't have to minmax too much.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Disgustipater, Gregarius

More
07 May 2020 16:24 #310068 by BillyBobThwarton
I loved the bloody baron stuff! I thought it was very moving and emotionally challenging. From a different quest tree, my favorite scene in the game is one between Geralt and Whoreson Junior talking about a chalice of sorrow. That is a badass speech.

Regarding gear, once I realized how awesome the sets are, I pretty much just sell everything else.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gregarius

More
07 May 2020 16:27 #310069 by the_jake_1973
I like the sory in Witcher, but the combat was very samey after a while. Shield spell/Fire + dodge. I never ended up crafting anything and barely used potions/oils. The toughest opponent was the boss before the final one. that one was a bit frustrating. I would like to get back to do the expansions.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.190 seconds