October 09, 2023
2458 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2661 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What VIDEO GAME(s) have you been playing?

More
13 May 2020 11:40 #310267 by charlest
That's extremely disappointing to hear.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, hotseatgames

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 May 2020 13:20 #310271 by jeb

hotseatgames wrote: I haven't played it. While the game itself seems cool, the developers' response to "why are there no female body types?" was so fucked up that I decided I'd peace out on it.

They basically said "women can't handle war so we aren't going to bother making female characters."

LMAO

Lyudmila Mikhailovna Pavlichenko, (Russian: Людми́ла Миха́йловна Павличе́нко, Ukrainian: Людмила Михайлівна Павличенко, romanized: Lyudmyla Mykhailivna Pavlychenko, (née Belova; 12 July [O.S. 30 May] 1916 – 10 October 1974) was a Soviet sniper in the Red Army during World War II, credited with 309 confirmed kills, making her the most successful female sniper in recorded history. Lyudmila was nicknamed "Lady Death" due to her incredible ability with a sniper rifle.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lyudmila_Pavlichenko
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames

More
13 May 2020 13:57 #310273 by charlest
It's even worse because the developers are indeed Russian.

More
13 May 2020 22:50 - 13 May 2020 22:51 #310291 by Ah_Pook
I'm maybe halfway into Thimbleweed Park, a Kickstarted sort of follow up to Manuac Mansion/Day of the Tentacle by the guys that did those games. It sure is one of those! A good one though. Fun puzzles, silly humor, so far nothing too batshit crazy adventure game logic as far as the solutions. If you like a good old lucasarts adventure game this is that in spades.
Last edit: 13 May 2020 22:51 by Ah_Pook.

More
13 May 2020 22:54 #310292 by hotseatgames
I played a good chunk of Thimbleweek Park. Ended up looking up some of the more esoteric solutions, and eventually fell off of it.

Fun while it lasted though!

More
13 May 2020 23:02 #310293 by san il defanso
Inspired by all the Rayman Legends I have been playing, I dusted off Donkey Kong: Tropical Freeze for some good old fashioned monkey business. As has been stated elsewhere voluminously, it is a very good game.

More
14 May 2020 07:03 #310296 by ThirstyMan
Great little rogue-like from Cryptic Comet Games is Occult Chronicles.

Very deep and quite difficult to win.

I managed to complete the first mission on the easiest setting but only after I figured out the mechanics of combat/spell casting/psychic duels/heroically leaping etc

It's a Lovecrafty trick taking game with a great narrative.

Highly recommended as are Solium Infernum (ruling hell as a demon) and Armageddon Empires (Mad Max).

All are extremely deep and punishing if you just play randomly. Graphics are basic but the game is quite amazing. Take a look here

Occult Chronicles
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames

More
14 May 2020 09:44 #310297 by hotseatgames
On a whim I loaded back up Drox Operative, an obscure space game on PC. You manage a single ship as a member of the titular Drox Operatives. You are basically a space rogue, making deals, making war, completing faction quests, etc.

It's real time but the pace is manageable. I won't even pretend that I fully understand everything that is going on in the game, but I find it compelling and I had to force myself to quit playing it yesterday. Worth keeping an eye out for a sale.

More
17 May 2020 07:56 - 17 May 2020 07:58 #310386 by Ah_Pook

Ah_Pook wrote: I'm maybe halfway into Thimbleweed Park, a Kickstarted sort of follow up to Manuac Mansion/Day of the Tentacle by the guys that did those games. It sure is one of those! A good one though. Fun puzzles, silly humor, so far nothing too batshit crazy adventure game logic as far as the solutions. If you like a good old lucasarts adventure game this is that in spades.

Finished this yesterday. It got a little lost in the adventure game weeds in the back half, but was still generally fun. The logic for a lot of stuff got pretty hazy, and even once you knew theoretically what needed to happen there were some head scratchers as far as implementing solutions.

For example
Warning: Spoiler!

I also get fatigued on this kind of thing after so many hours, and Thimbleweed did not end before this set in. Thankfully there's a robust in game hint system! I also fired up "Casual Mode" after beating it, which has easier puzzles, but at least at the beginning they are easy to the point of triviality and feel unsatisfactory. I might continue on just to see how the back end feels on casual, but so far it feels like it goes too far in the other direction.
Last edit: 17 May 2020 07:58 by Ah_Pook.

More
21 May 2020 01:43 #310494 by Gary Sax
Started playing a new Terraria game with my wife on PC. They just dropped the final content pack for it, there's so much new stuff from when I played it years ago. I like the 2d better than Minecraft, there's so much weird variety bc the assets are so cheap.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

More
21 May 2020 12:36 #310509 by jeb
If they got rid of the how back walls work in TERRARIA I think I would enjoy 1000x more.

More
21 May 2020 12:48 - 21 May 2020 12:59 #310510 by Gary Sax
In what way?

They've definitely improved the ability to put up back walls. It sort of senses spaces and it autobuilds into full rooms while you hold the build button with walls equipped which is nice. Putting up and taking down walls used to be a real motherfucker.

edit: I see, this is dumb:

"Dirt Walls generally completely cover the background at Underground depths above zero (see Layer, Depth Meter). Placing new walls in this area would require first tearing down the existing walls starting from the top (the Surface) or the bottom (zero depth), which can be an arduous task. Alternatively, the existing walls can be destroyed using Dynamite."
Last edit: 21 May 2020 12:59 by Gary Sax.

More
21 May 2020 15:20 #310512 by jeb
Maybe auto-building handles my gripe? I just hated having to build them on, I would always miss one little line or pixel and throw everything off and waste a bunch figuring out how to fix it, &c &c.

More
21 May 2020 15:31 #310513 by Gary Sax
That part of it is way way better. I hated it in the old version.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

More
23 May 2020 07:01 #310553 by ExiaGN00
My Top 5

Witch 3
Red dead redemption 2
GTA 5
Assassin's Creed Odyssey
Yakuza 6

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.611 seconds