October 09, 2023
2511 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2708 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What VIDEO GAME(s) have you been playing?

More
30 Jun 2020 09:02 #311514 by hotseatgames

Ah_Pook wrote: Borderlands 3 is on sale for $15 at best buy this week, which seems like an okay price for Borderland 2.3: More of Exactly The Same Thing. Figure it will be something nice and brainless to sink some hours into.

The game itself is great, but the "story" and "dialog" are the worst they have ever been. You could turn dialog volume all the way off and make the game better.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ah_Pook

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Jun 2020 10:12 - 30 Jun 2020 10:24 #311517 by Ah_Pook

hotseatgames wrote:

Ah_Pook wrote: Borderlands 3 is on sale for $15 at best buy this week, which seems like an okay price for Borderland 2.3: More of Exactly The Same Thing. Figure it will be something nice and brainless to sink some hours into.

The game itself is great, but the "story" and "dialog" are the worst they have ever been. You could turn dialog volume all the way off and make the game better.

Yea i already hated their entire schtick by the end of 2, and they just keep leaning further into it. I foresee the game being one long protracted eye roll, but also being fun enough to
actually play that I'll put up with it for $15.
Last edit: 30 Jun 2020 10:24 by Ah_Pook.

More
30 Jun 2020 11:02 #311518 by hotseatgames
If you do turn off the dialog, when you get to the "rapping doctor"... turn it back on :D

More
30 Jun 2020 11:09 #311519 by RobertB

In all seriousness, I hope it works out for you. I got bored. $15 is a good price for it, though.

More
30 Jun 2020 12:40 #311526 by dysjunct
SLAY THE SPIRE finally dropped for iOS so I picked it up and have been really digging it. The different characters all have unique little strategies for their deckbuilding so you have to play to their strengths.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

More
30 Jun 2020 13:33 #311529 by BillyBobThwarton
I too picked up Slay the Spire and appreciate the $10 price. Monster Train has maybe ruined it for me, but I am away from my PC for the week.

More
30 Jun 2020 15:13 #311532 by Ah_Pook
Man I want to play Monster Train pretty bad, it looks super fun. Hopefully it gets a ps4 release eventually.

I'm getting way better at One Step From Eden. Still haven't won a genocide run, but I'm getting there.

More
30 Jun 2020 20:03 - 30 Jun 2020 20:05 #311543 by Jexik
I played an ungodly amount of Monster Train for a couple weeks there. I hit Covenant 21 and I'm kinda burned out on it now.

Trying out Griftlands, yet another deckbuilder; it feels almost like a throwback to Bioware RPGs only it seems like every choice is kinda morally ambiguous. There's an interesting mechanic where if you do a job or share a drink with someone they grow to like you and will have your back in future fights or negotiations if they happen to be in the same location. A given run is longer for sure when compared to Monster Train or Slay the Spire, more like 3-5 hours. And you have two separate decks, one for Negotiation and one for Battle.
Last edit: 30 Jun 2020 20:05 by Jexik.

More
01 Jul 2020 07:41 #311556 by mezike
I have been spending yet more time with Space Haven, I thought I would have milked it for everything it had by now but it keeps on delivering surprises.

Last night I sent my away team onto a derelict vessel to snoop around and had a shocking encounter. As I have traversed the galaxy the threats have steadily increased and I've started to find that the scuttling monsters often found infesting abandoned ships are now laying eggs and mutating into more evolved creatures.

Nothing so far has been too much for my standard combat team of four to handle so they boldly stepped into the wreck blasting any errant spider creatures that dared to pop into view. We reached the engine room of the ship at marching speed and swung open the door to a full on assault from several second level mutations. Three crew members went down almost immediately and, in a move that would later earn her a combat commendation, pte. Zarah did a 'Forrest Gump' and pulled her heavily wounded commanding officer onto her shoulders and ran him back to the safety of the shuttle before going back into the fray to rescue the rest of her comrades. The secondary away team had by this point dispatched to provide support and arrived just in time to watch the mutants dragging the two remaining unconscious soldiers away in order to bind them to the wall in sticky cocoons. The arrival of the cavalry was enough to support Zarah in exterminating the last of the scuttling bugs and we managed to rescue everyone and get them to medbay without any casualties.

While recovering from all of this, a pirate ship dropped in to the sector with twice the ordnance of anything we had seen before. No doubt seeking revenge for the husks of smaller ships that we had littered the system with, and keen to recover the prisoners we still had on board from those encounters, they immediately opened fire and only an emergency hyperdrive jump saved us from being marooned and having to tackle a boarding party. We are currently hiding out in order to undertake repairs and increase our armaments ready for a big showdown. This game is fun.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, Gary Sax, hotseatgames, Nodens, Ah_Pook

More
01 Jul 2020 10:24 #311560 by ThirstyMan
Back to Path of Exile for me.

I really enjoy this ingenious game but you do need a build guide and a couple of stash tabs so I put maybe $20 into it and now it really is super fun.

Dicking around with Borderland 2. Pretty good mindless fun and I don't even mind the dialogue.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen, jeb

More
01 Jul 2020 11:22 - 01 Jul 2020 11:23 #311565 by Ah_Pook

ThirstyMan wrote: Dicking around with Borderland 2. Pretty good mindless fun and I don't even mind the dialogue.

Give it a couple hundred hours and get back to me re the dialog. It's whatever in small doses but it just gets grating as hell after enough of it, in my experience.

Speaking of which, I played maybe 4 hours into Borderlands 3 last night and like... It is exactly what I remember Borderlands 2 being. I can't even spot quality of life improvements. It's just the same thing. They did add mantling but it feels bad, so.
Last edit: 01 Jul 2020 11:23 by Ah_Pook.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

More
01 Jul 2020 11:26 #311566 by SebastianBludd
I just finished Bloodborne, plus the Old Hunters DLC. I'm still absolutely terrible at discovering and progressing NPC quests but I did really well against the bosses, one-shotting Ludwig and killing Orphan of Kos on my second try. Since then I've messed around helping people fight bosses and that's really fun, especially 3v1 against the Orphan.

I started Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order, and I'm liking it okay so far. I like the exploration, which feels like a throwback to the first Jedi Knight game on PC with its enormous levels, but apparently the climbing/jumping stuff cribs from the Uncharted series (which I've never played).

However, I'm lukewarm on the Sekiro-esque combat. I'm a few planets into the game and I haven't parried a purge trooper yet, and I've yet to check an enemy's poise during combat. Enemy health and poise bars are so small and so similar in color scheme that they're functionally identical to my eyes, when I notice them at all. Oh well, I'm at least dodging my way through so far. I'd probably practice on purge troopers more if the loading times weren't so ridiculous; guess I'll just wait until the PS5's SSD.

More
01 Jul 2020 12:44 #311570 by hotseatgames

Ah_Pook wrote: Speaking of which, I played maybe 4 hours into Borderlands 3 last night and like... It is exactly what I remember Borderlands 2 being. I can't even spot quality of life improvements. It's just the same thing. They did add mantling but it feels bad, so.

It would have been nice for it to be more of a change, for sure. I think the loot is much better, and it definitely looks nicer, mainly in how everything shoots 10 million particles all over the place.

Getting rid of slag was a great decision. As for quality of life, you no longer have to specifically pick up cash, so there's one. You can also fast travel from anywhere, which will save you a lot of time.

More
01 Jul 2020 13:02 #311572 by Gary Sax
I watched someone let's playing The Old Hunters and forgot what an amazing set of DLC it is, both lore and gameplay wise.

Mezike, you're single handedly putting space haven on my wish list.

More
01 Jul 2020 14:00 #311575 by jeb
BLOODBORNE.

Help me out here--I can basically stroll through stuff to the Cleric Beast and then I get obliterated and drop 5000 blood doohickeys and want to cry and quit. But I can't level up until I see the Cleric Beast? So is the opening move to just rush to her, get owned, and then redo stuff, but now with the chance to level up?

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 1.705 seconds