October 09, 2023
2498 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2702 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What VIDEO GAME(s) have you been playing?

More
17 Aug 2020 11:48 #313185 by Rliyen

SebastianBludd wrote: Fall Guys has taken over our PS4 at the moment. I've yet to win but the boys have won several times each. I can accept the RNG of being stuck with a bad team for the team games (I'm looking at you Egg Scramble, Fall Ball and Rock 'N Roll), but the tail-grabbing finale Royal Fumble needs to be retired.

The obstacle courses are ridiculously fun and nothing beats the first time you complete Slime Climb, and nothing is worse than being taken out of contention by a pileup in one of the doorways on Door Dash.

Or the &@%!^$ See Saws. Assholes! Do you understand how weight distribution works? STOP JUMPING ON THE LOW END!
The following user(s) said Thank You: SebastianBludd

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Aug 2020 14:21 #313186 by jeb
FALL GUYS here as well. We pass the controller round by round and just laugh and laugh.

Any advice on the Fruit race one? There is something fundamental about this one I just don't get. Last place every time. I don't see any way to not get obliterated by random fruit. I would think it was just luck, but we are at the bottom of the that ramp like 8 or 9 times now. That's just us being bad.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen

More
17 Aug 2020 14:49 - 17 Aug 2020 14:52 #313187 by SebastianBludd
Stick to the right or left, just inside the edge of those triangular bumpers so you can just run up the conveyor belt in a straight line while not having to bother with the logs (we usually go up the right side). Then it's just a matter of adjusting your speed or trajectory and hoping the fruit don't take a wonky bounce and hit you. Also: DON'T JUMP, ever, while on the conveyor belt (i.e., most of the course). This game's conveyor belts hate you when you jump and a glancing blow from a piece of fruit is relatively easily recovered from as opposed to what would happen if you jump and get hit mid-air. At first it seemed impossible but we qualify almost every time now.

We pass the controller around and our only rule is that you get two turns if you go out on the first round. It's more rare for us now but there's the occasional bad beat in Door Dash and Hit Parade.

As for See Saw, the trick to traversing severely tilted platforms is to align your body so your head is pointed "uphill," jump and dive. You'll get up on your feet and be able to walk up it when you would otherwise fall and roll off if you just jumped normally. The worst one is the purple one (you know which one I mean) but I've gotten across it with the jump and dive approach when it was really tilted, and I've traversed every platform that way. It's slower than not diving but it's much faster than respawning.
Last edit: 17 Aug 2020 14:52 by SebastianBludd.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen, jeb

More
17 Aug 2020 15:02 #313188 by Shellhead
Played more Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines with the Clan Quest mod. It's been years since the last time I played a partial game, but I still remember a lot of the early game quests in Santa Monica. I have been playing somewhat differently this time around, more sneaky, less fighty or social. It's a hassle that I can generally only get blood from sewer rats or street walkers, instead of successfully flirting with women in night clubs. And my character seems a bit fragile in the fight scenes. But he is good at sneaking, picking locks, and hacking, and sometimes even gets a stealth-kill. However, I have had a few run-ins with the cops, including one careless rendezvous in a parking garage that ended with the police shooting her while I slunk away in the shadows.

The mod is working pretty well, with only two freeze-ups that were easy to resolve. I feel like there are some new dialogue options and better music in places, but maybe I am mis-remembering and the music probably sounds better on my upgraded computer and speakers. So far, the only definite new content came from a conversation that my crazy vampire had with a fortune-telling machine in an arcade, but it points towards a possible confrontation with a demon when I get to downtown L.A. Right now, I am about to invade a local warehouse that is controlled by the local Sabbat vampires. I remember this mission as being a pretty enjoyable one with a large environment that allows for plenty of sneaking and combat, plus a thrilling chase. From what I remember, the whole game is pretty fun except for a few really difficult challenges in the mid-game, plus a couple of long and semi-repetitive missions near the end.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames

More
17 Aug 2020 17:32 #313192 by jeb
Thanks for the Fruit Chute guidance. We'll try that.

For See-Saw, sometimes the ramp is SO tilted you can't land on your feet, you just need to wait those out. Not for very long, but a maxed tilt won't let you get your feet before it rolls you off.

A couple technique for Tail Tag: Hiding in the corner by the hammers works for a bit, but even better is jumping in the sloped slime near the center of the map. Grabs don't work when knocked down, so the folks trying to steal the tail flail along with you, but they are tail-less. I've held onto a tail for >45 sec this way, no problem.

Fall Ball needs guides to manage the ball in the first half. Pick a side and keep it from going too crazy to one side in a couple of spots. Watch out for sandbaggers at the bottom half though, you'll get there first if you do this right and they'll gang up on you. In general, jump-diving at a Ball can make it absolutely fly.

A couple of the ones where blocks/rollers come at you can be made easier with camera placement. put it at a high angle and you can see the blocks coming a little earlier. Toughest part there is grabbers for me.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen, SebastianBludd

More
17 Aug 2020 18:41 #313195 by Rliyen
The end party, that's the portion of the Fall Ball that got me riled. I won it once before, within like 3 minutes, but the game last night it was over 5. The first team made it in, and it was just blue and yellow teams left. It felt like watching a piece of legislation working its way through Congress.

It didn't help when teammates would ALL but abandon our ball, just to stop the advancement of the other team's ball. When it happened more than once, I just sat there and gave up and let the other team win.

More
17 Aug 2020 20:40 #313197 by Ah_Pook
Watched a steamer play some Dead Cells earlier today and redownload that, plus picked up the DLC that added some new early game biomes. Man Dead Cells is really fun, but also really really hard. When you get a good build up and running you can level stuff, but if you're not instantly killing everything by the end the game gets brutally hard. Fun to play some runs again though. I got a win which was nice. I never did beat it on any of the higher difficulties, as they very rapidly went past my skill level.

Also, 630 hours deep into Mario Maker 2 this is what my levels are looking like.

The following user(s) said Thank You: BillyBobThwarton

More
17 Aug 2020 20:53 #313198 by Disgustipater
I got really into Dead Cells and planned on playing through all 6 of the difficulties. I got to the 3rd one and kind of hit a wall and stopped playing. They recently re-balanced everything so maybe it'd be different. Still not sure if I'll get back to it.

Lately been trying to get the last achievement I need for Spelunky before Spelunkly 2 comes out. Need to get $500,000 gold. I've been re-rolling starts until I get a jetpack in the shop on 1-2 but that get real tiresome, so I might try it without.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ah_Pook

More
17 Aug 2020 21:01 #313199 by hotseatgames
I'm looking forward to Spelunky 2, although I think it comes to PS4 before PC, for some reason.

Necromunda is only a few weeks away!

More
17 Aug 2020 22:22 #313202 by Disgustipater

hotseatgames wrote: I'm looking forward to Spelunky 2, although I think it comes to PS4 before PC, for some reason.

It's a few weeks of delay. They need to fine-tune the online multiplayer.

More
17 Aug 2020 22:26 #313203 by hotseatgames
I want it on the Switch, really, more than anything.

More
18 Aug 2020 10:33 #313218 by Rliyen
OOC convo with a 12 year old I play with on Destiny.

12: Jalal would probably turn into a chicken nugget.

Me: Nah, he wouldn't. He's the type who went emo goth because his girlfriend dumped him because he's broke.

12: Eris, the goth lunch girl, probably did.

Me: Yes, definitely. Bitch, you ain't got no income. I'm leaving!

More
22 Aug 2020 14:00 #313391 by Ah_Pook
speaking of rogue lite platformers, Rogue Legacy 2 is in early access. ive been watching a little of it and it looks great. Rogue Legacy was my favorite of those games ive played, so im really looking forward to more.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

More
22 Aug 2020 14:05 #313392 by Disgustipater
I'll definitely be getting Rogue Legacy 2.

When it hits ver1.0.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, Ah_Pook

More
22 Aug 2020 14:24 #313393 by hotseatgames
I got Diablo III on Switch. I have a Switch Lite, so it's handheld only. This game is SO good on Switch! The only caveat is that sometimes text is too small and I have to basically pause the game to zoom in (double tap the Home button) and read the text. I was very surprised that Blizzard didn't provide text size options in the game itself.

I got this on PC back when it came out in 2014. Played through once, then later played the first expansion. All I had ever done was use a Barbarian. Never even touched multiplayer.

They have added so much stuff, it's a totally new game. I've been using the Necromancer in Adventure mode. This is the perfect mode for me... endless random quests with no story nonsense.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, BillyBobThwarton

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.603 seconds