October 09, 2023
2498 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2702 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What VIDEO GAME(s) have you been playing?

More
22 Aug 2020 16:35 #313398 by ChristopherMD
Years later I'll still start up Diablo III Adventure Mode on my PS4 now and then to just play for a bit.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Aug 2020 02:07 #313532 by Disgustipater
I’m pretty interested in Cyberpunk 2077, however I’ve never really played an open world game, so I decided to try The Witcher 3 as a trial run of that type of game from the same developer. I’ve only played for 3 hours and I think I’m hooked. I took on a super basic, early side quest to deal with a ghost in a well and doing the investigating to find out what it was and the best ways to deal with it was really fun. I ran around looking for the right herbs to make the appropriate oil for my sword. She killed me a few times but I’m still getting the hang of the combat and managed to dispatch her after a few tries. It felt real good. I already think this is going to be a problem. Getting all excited for a single basic side quest? I know it’s a well-worn issue for open world games: having a billion options and wanting to do them all. Maybe I should stick to the monster hunting and ignore the more mundane quests. I’ll figure it out I’m sure.

More
27 Aug 2020 02:20 - 27 Aug 2020 02:22 #313533 by Gary Sax
Witcher 3 is one of the few games where the side quests not on the main line are often as well characterized as main quest missions and the hunt mission. Definitely don't miss the main witcher hunt missions, they are the real deal, but a shocking number of the small weird little quests have cool character moments or insights into the Witcher himself. Like it actually consistently rewards you with more than just a different colored loot drop.

What a game the Witcher 3 is.

Also, don't let yourself get stuck in that initial area for too long. Feel free to push ahead. You can go back to that area any time on the world map.
Last edit: 27 Aug 2020 02:22 by Gary Sax.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Disgustipater

More
27 Aug 2020 08:34 #313535 by the_jake_1973
There was one side quest in Witcher 3 where he has to get a pan for an old woman and the voice acting on the exchange was so perfect. It was memorable because of the trivial nature and his exasperated tone. I also like how some quests have results that ripple through the world depending on your solution.

More
27 Aug 2020 09:10 #313537 by hotseatgames
Witcher 3 has amazing side quests. I fell off of the game after about 25 hours. I think it wore on me because after that amount of time, it still felt like I had gotten nowhere. It is a very good game; I realize the problem was my own.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
27 Aug 2020 10:38 #313543 by Gary Sax
This is going to sound weird and I've sort of said this before here, but I think the Witcher is one of the best games about work that has been made.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jexik, sornars

More
27 Aug 2020 10:46 #313545 by Jexik
That sounds like a critique.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen, mezike, Nodens

More
27 Aug 2020 12:08 #313553 by RobertB

Disgustipater wrote: I’m pretty interested in Cyberpunk 2077, however I’ve never really played an open world game, so I decided to try The Witcher 3 as a trial run of that type of game from the same developer. I’ve only played for 3 hours and I think I’m hooked. I took on a super basic, early side quest to deal with a ghost in a well and doing the investigating to find out what it was and the best ways to deal with it was really fun. I ran around looking for the right herbs to make the appropriate oil for my sword. She killed me a few times but I’m still getting the hang of the combat and managed to dispatch her after a few tries. It felt real good. I already think this is going to be a problem. Getting all excited for a single basic side quest? I know it’s a well-worn issue for open world games: having a billion options and wanting to do them all. Maybe I should stick to the monster hunting and ignore the more mundane quests. I’ll figure it out I’m sure.

Be sure and pick up the Gourmet skill, unless repeated deaths are your thing.

Witcher 3 is the best open world game that I've played. Better than Mass Effect. Way better than Skyrim.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Disgustipater

More
27 Aug 2020 12:46 #313556 by Gary Sax
YMMV on this, but cranking the difficulty up at least one, I think, shows Witcher 3 off at its best. It makes regular fights not that big a deal when you're broadly within your level zone but it makes those hunt fights challenging. That's incredibly important thematically because it means you actually need to do the busy work to get the things to prepare for whatever that particular beast is. If you play on normal, you can just hack your way through most of the hunt fights and such without much preparation. I think the game loses something thematically.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RobertB, sornars, Gregarius

More
27 Aug 2020 12:51 #313557 by RobertB

Gary Sax wrote: YMMV on this, but cranking the difficulty up at least one, I think, shows Witcher 3 off at its best. It makes regular fights not that big a deal when you're broadly within your level zone but it makes those hunt fights challenging. That's incredibly important thematically because it means you actually need to do the busy work to get the things to prepare for whatever that particular beast is. If you play on normal, you can just hack your way through most of the hunt fights and such without much preparation. I think the game loses something thematically.

I'd agree with that. Bump it up to "Blood and Bloody Guts."

More
27 Aug 2020 12:58 #313558 by Disgustipater
I’ll bump it up one since I don’t really know the difference yet. I can always go down if I’m struggling

More
27 Aug 2020 13:32 #313564 by Gary Sax
Absolutely. Some people do disagree on this advice but it really enhanced my game.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen

More
28 Aug 2020 01:02 - 28 Aug 2020 01:09 #313581 by Andi Lennon
It's been awhile since i dipped into anything other than a brief blast at a Cave Shmup but MORTAL SHELL has lured me in with its souls-like atmosphere. It's brutal as hell though. I miss the option of a dedicated 'block' mechanic but am adjusting slowly as my corpses mount.
Last edit: 28 Aug 2020 01:09 by Andi Lennon. Reason: punctuation

More
28 Aug 2020 01:37 #313582 by Disgustipater

Gary Sax wrote: Absolutely. Some people do disagree on this advice but it really enhanced my game.

I bumped it up and it hasn't been a problem. Maybe I'm just getting used to combat but I've been doing pretty well.

@RobertB - Thanks for the tip on Gourmet. It's awesome.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RobertB

More
28 Aug 2020 10:04 #313584 by RobertB
Some more Witcher 3 advice:
  • Interacting with players does have consequences on the ending. Perhaps not as severe as Dishonored's was, but it's there.
  • You'll need bigger saddlebags. Keep an eye out for them.
  • Early on you'll need to keep all the loot that drops, because you're going to be constantly broke. But the constant poverty will go away eventually, and you'll be flush with cash.
  • Give Gwent a try.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.962 seconds