October 09, 2023
2506 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2705 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What VIDEO GAME(s) have you been playing?

More
09 Sep 2020 17:26 #313920 by hotseatgames

RobertB wrote: Coworker has spent a couple hundred bucks on prerelease ships in Star Citizen.

lol
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen, Gary Sax

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Sep 2020 10:30 #314045 by ThirstyMan
Been trying Remnants from the Ashes which is a fun take on a soulslike where the world is randomly rolled for each of your characters.

It's balls hard though and I just can't progress in claustrophobic sewer tunnels when some bastard is hunting me who can one shot me. You can improve weapons but there's not much point as the enemies scale accordingly.

So in need of something lighter, I booted up Dragon Age Origins which is just a great RPG. Yeah it's a little aged but an impelling story and such a ton of lore, if you're into that. Fans have basically fixed all the bugs when EA shoved it out of the door not quite finished, which is good.

Also can highly recommend Shadow Empire which is post apocalyptic world builder (Matrix Games) with an extremely deep political sub game. Especially good for ex hex and counters wargamers. Huge emphasis on logistics and supply keeps the wargamer in me happy.

More
14 Sep 2020 09:53 #314051 by Shellhead
Still playing the Bloodlines Clanquest mod. I am struggling with a sidequest that has become unexpectedly more difficult with the mod. My goal is to travel to the bottom level of an underground parking garage and grab a briefcase. Apparently there is a drug deal going down, because there are armed mooks all over the parking ramp. I managed to use a ventilation duct to bypass some of them, but that only got me past the first level. There seem to be too many for me to sneak past. If I get into a shootout, goons with baseball bats rush me while I'm reloading. If I climb a ladder to get out of reach of the bats, I get shot down by glocks. Maybe I should just get out my trusty fire axe and swing wildly. Or maybe I should be more patient and try the stealth approach again. My regular stealth might not be enough, but I can activate supernatural stealth if nobody is looking at me, and that's good for 20 seconds and I can pause that timer whenever I stop moving. Or I can bail on this sidequest for now and try my luck at either the insane asylum or the abandoned hotel that is occupied by a zombie horde.

More
14 Sep 2020 10:13 #314054 by jeb
DARK SOULS III here. Just wandering around, still getting a feel for the map and missions. I am in this really tough swamp right now, trying to hop through the slop and I imagine I am supposed to go somewhere else first, because in DS1, you only are compelled to swamp hop after you have a chance to get the Poisonbite Ring or the Hopping-Is-Easy Ring.

There is a lot more PvP in this game than DS1 on the Switch (LOL). If I am in the Covenant of Blue or Farron's Guard, I am called out constantly to defend/kill hosts, respectively. There seem to be some norms at work here, folks back off and fight 1v1 sometimes but not others. And lag is still a thing, as I can watch bad guys teleport behind me into backstab animations that I am sure look good from their end.

More
14 Sep 2020 10:48 #314055 by hotseatgames
I am just over 50% of the way through the story mode for Necromunda. I really like it. The story itself is actually engaging, and the cinematics that play at the beginning and end of each mission are very well done. They don't necessarily reflect what actually happened during your mission, but whatever.

I have yet to create my own gang and start down that rabbit hole, but I will do that as soon as I finish the story.

The AI... they are not the brightest. They often ignore objectives and any victory conditions beyond "kill them all." They love to go on overwatch and ambush, of course. You are forced to spectate their turns from the same camera as though you were playing as them, which is a bit annoying. A free camera I could control would be fun. My favorite bit about the AI is that every time they execute an action that "powers up", they scream.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

More
14 Sep 2020 13:14 #314059 by Rliyen

hotseatgames wrote:

RobertB wrote: Coworker has spent a couple hundred bucks on prerelease ships in Star Citizen.

lol

That game's been in production for 6+ years. It's never going to come out.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RobertB

More
14 Sep 2020 15:28 #314063 by Ah_Pook
Ooooooh Spelunky 2 comes out tomorrow. I'm excited! I never did get particularly far in Spelunky 1 but I did play it a lot back when it came out.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, Gary Sax

More
14 Sep 2020 17:21 #314069 by RobertB

Rliyen wrote: That game's been in production for 6+ years. It's never going to come out.

I take a peek every once in a while, just to see what's happening so far with it. I'm not sure why, because Elite:Dangerous lasted me about a week, maybe two before I was bored with it, and it looks similar. I think it's because I loved Privateer, and loved Freelancer, and am hoping for the same. But you're probably right - I'll be dead and gone, and Chris Roberts will have added dynamically generated hamsters to the landscape.

More
15 Sep 2020 11:10 #314097 by hotseatgames
I think I'm going to take a break from Necromunda: Underhive Wars until it gets a patch. I'm on story mission 10, and have been forced to quit twice for the same reason:

If an AI melee ganger tries to charge someone, but there is something in the way, they get stuck and just run into it... forever. This is less than ideal.

If anything, I'll create a gang just to see how that goes. I do really like this game and hope that it gets supported. They could do a LOT of cool stuff with it.

More
15 Sep 2020 15:41 #314105 by Ah_Pook
Okay, so far Spelunky 2 jibes with my experience with Spelunky 1. Aka I'm just getting shredded over and over and over again. Fun though.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, Gary Sax

More
15 Sep 2020 18:12 - 15 Sep 2020 18:41 #314110 by Disgustipater
I’m waiting for Spelunky 2 to hit Steam in two weeks, and I’m avoiding all videos and in depth talk about it until then. For me, it’s one of those games where discovery of systems and how everything works together is half the enjoyment. Got to go in fresh.

However, I pretty sure I wont have finished The Witcher 3 by that point, which is all I’ve been thinking about for the past three weeks, so I don’t know what I’m going to do...
Last edit: 15 Sep 2020 18:41 by Disgustipater.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, hotseatgames

More
15 Sep 2020 20:40 #314116 by hotseatgames

Disgustipater wrote: I’m waiting for Spelunky 2 to hit Steam in two weeks, and I’m avoiding all videos and in depth talk about it until then. For me, it’s one of those games where discovery of systems and how everything works together is half the enjoyment. Got to go in fresh.

same

More
15 Sep 2020 22:28 #314122 by Gary Sax
Based on the stream I've seen, there's an awful lot to explore!!!

More
16 Sep 2020 06:42 #314137 by san il defanso
My kids pooled their allowance and bought themselves Animal Crossing New Horizons. How very early quarantine of us.

It inspired me to take another stab at Stardew Valley, and I feel like it's taking this time.

Needless to say, not a lot getting done around here these days, unless virtual fishing and farming count as accomplishments.

More
16 Sep 2020 09:11 #314145 by hotseatgames
The fishing mechanic in Stardew is so bad.... nearly enough to put me off of the whole game.

I once tried to jump through the required hoops to mod the fishing mechanic out of the PC version, but figuring out mods in that game was a challenge in itself.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.777 seconds