October 09, 2023
2294 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2511 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What VIDEO GAME(s) have you been playing?

More
16 Sep 2020 10:22 #314151 by san il defanso
Huh, I like it pretty well actually. Maybe because I'm on the Switch and the button there feels better than a mouse button? I could see that being obnoxious.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Sep 2020 10:51 #314154 by hotseatgames
I hate it on Switch too. I think I just find it obnoxious, constantly trying to fight that bar. Not fun for me.

More
16 Sep 2020 15:01 #314171 by Jexik
I played a little Slay the Spire For the first time since my Monster Train binge. It's still pretty enjoyable. Got a win with the Defect on my first play, then lost a few at Ascension level 16 with him. I'd like to get to 20 with something... I'm at like 5 and 8 with the other classes.

More
18 Sep 2020 09:13 #314223 by RobertB
Football Manager 2020 is free from Epic Games until September 24th. So I couldn't resist, even though I know jack shit about soccer. I played it a little bit last night and confirmed my ignorance. But it has the rep of being the best sports strategy game ever, so we'll see. The price was right, anyway.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mezike

More
18 Sep 2020 10:27 #314225 by Shellhead
I am not playing any of them, but I have been waiting with great anticipation for Bloodlines 2, Cyperpunk 2077, and Evil Genius 2.

More
18 Sep 2020 10:54 #314228 by RobertB
Same here for Cyberpunk 2077.

More
18 Sep 2020 15:12 #314243 by ThirstyMan
Leaving Paths of Exile for the moment as I need some RPG.

Dragon Age Origins still scratches that itch. I must have put in about 300 hrs, over the years, but the lore is really extensive and the characters are interesting and fleshed out.

There are now player mods which correct all the issues that the devs didn't bother with, which is great.

It's an epic good v evil struggle but the player to NPC reactions are well thought out. Nice tactical battles which, if you don't pay attention to, will rapidly kick your ass.

Also trying Neverwinter Nights which is a similar 'pause and give orders' tactical battle situation in an RPG environment. I'm enjoying it at the moment.

More
19 Sep 2020 05:03 #314251 by mezike

RobertB wrote: Football Manager 2020 is free from Epic Games until September 24th. So I couldn't resist, even though I know jack shit about soccer. I played it a little bit last night and confirmed my ignorance. But it has the rep of being the best sports strategy game ever, so we'll see. The price was right, anyway.

I personally prefer the precursor Championship Manager 2001/02 which was the high watermark of balancing addictive gameplay with the management sim side of the sport. It’s free and there are regular updates keeping the player database and valuations up to date. It was shortly after that one that the company had an internal schism resulting in the two competing versions (FM and CM) where match-day graphics and overwhelming levels of detail won out over player experience. The modern run of games are far too obsessive about tinkering with morale, press briefings, and so much backroom crap that the actual football and team management takes a back seat and it starts to feel like too much work.

One of the series that I tried was so awful that clicking the wrong option on the endless briefings and talks could result in your star player demanding a transfer, lower match-day performance, angry fans, reduced investment and all kinds of trouble so it just became “press briefing- the game” where you spent your time agonising over which response the software would accept as being the correct one.

Sure the graphics are infinitely prettier but it’s a hollow take on the old school game that generated all the acclaim for the series.

The most fun I ever had with the series was Italia ‘95 though, Shearer + Ronaldo + Baggio as my three forwards kind of broke the game. That won’t mean a great deal if you weren’t into football in the mid-90s.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, RobertB

More
21 Sep 2020 11:27 #314274 by Disgustipater
I’ve done nothing but play The Witcher 3. I got sad that I ran out of quests in my log so I printed out a list of every single secondary quest in the game and did all of them. Now I’m right before the Isle of Mists mission with not much else to procrastinate on, so I decided to do the Hearts of Stone expansion stuff first. I’m under level for it but that hasn’t been much of a problem with anything else. Once I’m done there, I’ll finish the main game then move on to Blood and Wine.

It’s funny, I simultaneously want this game to be over with, while also wanting to play it forever.

The toad didn’t give me any trouble at all, but it is highly likely that the Undying perk saved me multiple times and I didn’t even notice.

More
21 Sep 2020 11:39 - 21 Sep 2020 11:39 #314277 by Gary Sax
Hearts of Stone is very good! Be aware it's one long narrative questline basically.
Last edit: 21 Sep 2020 11:39 by Gary Sax.

More
21 Sep 2020 12:04 #314278 by Disgustipater
That’s good actually, since other than a few witcher gear hunts, it’s all I have left to do before progressing the main game to its end.

More
21 Sep 2020 12:22 #314279 by Gary Sax
My spouse told me if I don't preorder an xbox tomorrow morning she is going to do it for me, so here we are.

Add on the microsoft buying bethesda news...

More
21 Sep 2020 12:41 #314281 by hotseatgames
I imagine the notion of Bethesda exclusives will sell a lot of Xboxes.

More
21 Sep 2020 13:07 #314284 by Gary Sax
Also, and I hate to say this because our new subscription lifestyle is distasteful, but if you play a fair amount of games Gamepass is an incredible value. I did PC gamepass this summer for 2-3 months and it is wild that new releases are on that thing.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

More
21 Sep 2020 13:57 #314288 by Jexik
It's like Sega Channel.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.892 seconds