October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2510 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What VIDEO GAME(s) have you been playing?

More
07 Oct 2020 12:08 #314882 by jeb
I'm really stuck in DARK SOULS 3. I need to kill Aldrich and it's a fucking drag. Compared to DS1 Remastered and BLOODBORNE, there are basically no soapstone users in this game for PvE. I am a strength build and this is a big magic fight, so I am getting wrecked. If I do ember up to look for soapstone signs (there are none in Anor Londo), I will be invaded within about ten seconds by a red spirit to kill me. This game is really soul-sucking, and I think it's because the remaining player-base is deeply toxic. I'll have to solo this dumb boss with some clunky combination of items just to advance. Kind of bummed out.

Meeting up with an east coast friend for HELLDIVERS and that's been a blast. If you've never played, it's basically STARSHIP TROOPERS: THE GAME. You're kitted out space marines bringing liberty to the galaxy in laser/bullet form. The co-op in mission is grand, and the overarching world co-op is even cooler. All players contribute influence to a pool that holds the enemies from advancing and keeps the storyline going.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Oct 2020 15:17 #314888 by Gary Sax
Yes, DS3 invaders fucking suck.

I played through the game when there was tons of help, I wish I had a solution for you. Aldrich is tough. The biggest thing is learning how to avoid that arrow storm thing which goes on *forever* and you have to run way from for a long, long time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

More
08 Oct 2020 12:04 #314914 by jeb
DARK SOULS III: Well, I finally kitted up correctly and beat Aldrich. Needed a heavy weapon and a lighter shield, using light armor with max Magic protection. I got teleported over to the chapel to take on Dancer and had no issue finding and helping folks there. I might go soapstone over at Anor Londo just for the karma.

HELLDIVERS: Have some liberty! POW POW POW Fun, good game. Almost to the Cyborg homeworld, where we're all eager to spread democracy. The game notes its a shame that other species aren't as peace-loving as the citizens of SuperEarth.

HEARTHSTONE: Lots of Battlegrounds, the autobattler mode. There is a new type of minion (Elemental) that is in every BG, and they are REALL strong. Games end up a race to ridiculous minions. You miss a turn or a triple and you're bounced on your ass. Standard Ladder is a drag for me right now, as two of the absolute best decks have two of the most toxic cards: Skull of Gul'dan and Wrenchcalibur. I just see them again and again and the games aren't fun.

More
08 Oct 2020 12:27 #314918 by Gary Sax
I loved helldivers, but didn't have anyone to play it with when it came out.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

More
08 Oct 2020 12:35 #314919 by jeb
When my friend isn't online I'm just playing HELLDIVERS with randos and it's still good. There are always a handful of Public missions you can hop on, no one cares. If they did, they've made it Private.

More
08 Oct 2020 23:44 - 09 Oct 2020 10:00 #314938 by ThirstyMan
Utterly hooked on Neverwinter Nights EE which is really cheap to buy on Steam or GOG.

The real good thing is the shit ton of player made modules, many of which are better than the original modules and the TON of builds available.

It's a real time with pause game so orders can be given and really immersive. The player base is mostly with this version and not with NWN2 because it is so easy to design your own scenarios.

I currently have an installer for mods which checks conflicts and have downloaded maybe 30 different scenarios.

The player base is very friendly and there are very extensive fan sites which go into the mechanics in detail if you want that.

Currently running an evil Paladin type build (Blackguard) CE which is great fun and stomping through a user made scenario based on the fact that I want to burn the entire city down due to some stupid revenge thing.

Currently off to destroy the mines that provide the city essential resources which will be followed by poisoning the water supply, releasing a plague and then hiring a mercenary band of orcs to come in and kill everyone.

I think I follow that up by summoning a Dark Lord to finish off the pesky Mage Guild.

Started as a pretty weak Level 1 Rogue

What fun !!
Last edit: 09 Oct 2020 10:00 by ThirstyMan.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, ChristopherMD, san il defanso, hotseatgames

More
11 Oct 2020 02:38 #314984 by san il defanso
Glad you're enjoying Neverwinter Nights. I tried the Enhanced Edition earlier this year, putting in maybe 10 hours. That was longer than I was inclined to play, because I frankly did not much like it. The interface was a problem, but the huge issue was the camera, which I felt I was constantly having to fuss with and never finding it comfortable. Oh well. It's my problem obviously, it's a super popular game.

Been playing Hades on the Switch. It's basically a roguelite, but one that keeps on beefing you up as you fail. You play as the son of Hades, who wants to escape the underworld in what appears to be a fit of adolescent rebellion. The hack-and-slash gameplay is super addictive. I see myself putting in lots of hours on this one.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, ThirstyMan

More
11 Oct 2020 02:47 #314985 by Michael Barnes
I would rank Hades alongside my favorite video games -of all time-. It’s that good.
The following user(s) said Thank You: san il defanso, siberianhusky

More
11 Oct 2020 05:40 #314986 by san il defanso
It's pretty rad. I am not really one to be drawn to the roguelite genre, but it does a couple things really well that make it way more playable. I think the fact that it gives you buffs when you fail a run makes it way more exciting to jump in again. It also did a great job with all of the boons and weapons. They feel different, but they also feel pretty viable. It makes it feel just impossible enough to keep going deeper and deeper into the run, and when you fail it makes you want to jump in again.

The narrative and characters go a long way toward making it a more exciting experience too. The art direction, the character design, the controls. It's just top-shelf video game design.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jason10mm

More
11 Oct 2020 12:19 #314991 by DukeofChutney
Been playing Star Wars Squadrons both single player and multiplayer. Very accessible, essentially freespace ship set up but cleaned up. I never played Tie Fighter back in the day so cannot compare. The story is pretty fun but i suspect most will by for the multiplayer which is great if you have some hombres.

Also Alien Isolation - picked this up in a sale for change a while ago. Damn! Im not sure how i feel about this game. The aesthetics and atmosphere are incredable. It is a great attention to detail exploration of a space station gone wrong. But, it is a horror game, and I don't really like horror games. You cannot fight the alien, just hide, and even the androids are super hard to fight. So its a lot of hiding in cupboards etc. If the easy mode were easier i'd quite like it, but alas they just made it take slightly longer for you to inevitably die.

+1 Hell Divers, played that quite a lot a couple of years back or so(when did it come out?) and Hades is on the future wish/to buy list. Looks ace.

More
11 Oct 2020 16:20 #314997 by jason10mm
So, this Hades game. Is it a platformer or what? I am really really bad at platformers, only ever gotten into a few like some of the Castlevania games or that Shadow Complex one from way back. I like the concept of a roguelike in theory, but they are usually just too damn frustrating to play. I'll have to check it out to see if it side-steps the issues I have with most of that type of game.

More
11 Oct 2020 16:38 #314998 by hotseatgames
Looks to be more of a Diablo-style game to me.

More
11 Oct 2020 21:09 - 12 Oct 2020 00:54 #315003 by san il defanso
It's a lot less loot-based than Diablo, and is not nearly as much of an RPG. It's more of a roguelike, where the levels are randomly assembled rooms with monsters. If you clear a room you get a little reward, and you move to the next. If you die you go back to the hub, but you take some of the powerups you got with you to use them to buff your character, unlock new weapons, uncover more story, etc.

The combat is based around four basic attacks: a regular and a special weapon attack, a dash, and a casting attack. At the beginning of a run you choose one buff to one of these, and then as you go deeper you get more buffs so you start comboing different attacks uniquely in each run. Those boons form other gods don't go with you after you die, but they do make you into a unique killing machine each time. It's much more thoughtful than something like a Diablo-like game, and more varied.

It's a really potent combo, because even though you keep dying the way it makes you a little more powerful each time ensures that you keep moving just a little bit deeper into the Underworld each time. Something that looked impossible when I first started, I can now accomplish with regularity. The story and the art direction do a lot of heavy lifting as well, so you end up feeling invested in what is happening in the narrative sense, as well as the gameplay.

It's a terrific game, strong recommend.

*edit* Sorry, I forgot to respond to you Jason10mm. I am also not the biggest fan of the modern move toward roguelikes. For example, I like FTL but I find it actively irritating eventually. But Hades funnels you toward improvement slowly but surely. It has not so far had the sense of futility that the genre can engender in me. Others who have played more can say more though.
Last edit: 12 Oct 2020 00:54 by san il defanso.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jason10mm

More
12 Oct 2020 11:01 #315014 by the_jake_1973

DukeofChutney wrote: Been playing Star Wars Squadrons both single player and multiplayer. Very accessible, essentially freespace ship set up but cleaned up. I never played Tie Fighter back in the day so cannot compare. The story is pretty fun but i suspect most will by for the multiplayer which is great if you have some hombres.

Add me on the EA friends, the_jake_1973
I have a couple people that are playing on the regular, so you can join up.

More
12 Oct 2020 13:10 #315023 by Jexik
While you guys have been playing Hades, I've been playing their last game, Pyre, like some kind of hooligan. It's delightfully weird.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.459 seconds