October 09, 2023
2485 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2687 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What VIDEO GAME(s) have you been playing?

More
12 Oct 2020 13:15 #315024 by Gary Sax
Sports game/visual novel seems like a wildly weird thing to do, I still need to play that one.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jexik

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Oct 2020 13:29 - 12 Oct 2020 13:29 #315026 by jpat
After having finished the story mode for Luigi's Mansion 3, I splurged and bought Doom 64 for $5. Seems worth it so far. I've never actually played a Doom game before (though I've played other FPS). Oh, and more Star Wars Pinball.
Last edit: 12 Oct 2020 13:29 by jpat.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, Ah_Pook

More
12 Oct 2020 17:20 #315036 by Ah_Pook
Doom 64 is good, it leans too hard into the "puzzly" level design too often though, where you hit a switch and something happens somewhere and then you spend a while wandering around looking for the wall that opened. Doom 2 is the one id recommend if you want to play an old Doom game, it's an all time classic.

More
13 Oct 2020 10:35 #315057 by Rliyen

the_jake_1973 wrote: I'm on PS4, so that deadzone issue doesn't apply as I'm aware. I actually want a larger deadzone so it won't feel so twitchy. Even with the sensitivity at 30%, I'm constantly over correcting. I will have to see if I can increase the tension on the flight stick/throttle.

So you want a turn rate of an Apache. Got it. :laugh:

More
13 Oct 2020 10:37 #315058 by Rliyen

jeb wrote: I'm really stuck in DARK SOULS 3. I need to kill Aldrich and it's a fucking drag. Compared to DS1 Remastered and BLOODBORNE, there are basically no soapstone users in this game for PvE. I am a strength build and this is a big magic fight, so I am getting wrecked. If I do ember up to look for soapstone signs (there are none in Anor Londo), I will be invaded within about ten seconds by a red spirit to kill me. This game is really soul-sucking, and I think it's because the remaining player-base is deeply toxic. I'll have to solo this dumb boss with some clunky combination of items just to advance. Kind of bummed out.

Meeting up with an east coast friend for HELLDIVERS and that's been a blast. If you've never played, it's basically STARSHIP TROOPERS: THE GAME. You're kitted out space marines bringing liberty to the galaxy in laser/bullet form. The co-op in mission is grand, and the overarching world co-op is even cooler. All players contribute influence to a pool that holds the enemies from advancing and keeps the storyline going.

The tutorial at the beginning is unforgiving. You receive a smackdown the instant you get out of bed.

Jeb, let me know your GT and I'll join you. Rather play with people I know.

More
13 Oct 2020 10:51 #315063 by Rliyen
With my recent raise and bonus, I ended up buying a cooling/charging station for my PS4 and Fist of the North Star - Lost Paradise.

OH MAN, every time I play, I go back 30 years when I first saw the movie, then the series, in college. Cliff Notes: Bruce Lee with godlike martial arts meets the Road Warrior.

I still have the import for my PS1 and I still play it from time to time, simply because it has the original voice actors from the series.

When I started, I forgot to change the language settings and was immediately disappointed in the dubbing. The actors are fine, but I've always like the original language better. Then I found the LANGUAGE SETTINGS! Calloo! Callay!

Nothing gets my blood pumping than doing Hyaku Restsu Ken and then yelling it while finishing it; getting strange looks from my wife all the while.

I like the fact that, just like in the manga and series, Ken's fighting style can also help people. That was a nice touch and addition as opposed to the earlier game, when it was all about making people heads explode and showing the helpful side in just cutscenes.

Saving what's left of the world, one exploding head at a time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames, Nodens

More
13 Oct 2020 11:49 #315065 by dysjunct
HADES sounds great, but dang, I already have too many games. And if it's not on mobile I have to sequester myself in my office, which I just don't have much time for. :|

I have been playing A SHORT HIKE and OLD MAN'S JOURNEY, which are light and fun. Picked them up as part of the BLM pack a few months ago. And I can play them with the kindergartener, so it's "interactive parenting time" and not "dad abandons the family to play games in the dark."
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

More
13 Oct 2020 11:54 #315066 by jpat

Ah_Pook wrote: Doom 64 is good, it leans too hard into the "puzzly" level design too often though, where you hit a switch and something happens somewhere and then you spend a while wandering around looking for the wall that opened. Doom 2 is the one id recommend if you want to play an old Doom game, it's an all time classic.

Yeah, I've kind of noticed. The 90s-era textures, where (to a modern eye) it's hard to tell what's wallpaper and what's interactive, aren't a help here. In one case, my stepson and I spent probably 20 minutes trying to figure out how to climb back up from a pit. It turned out that you have to tap a wall to get a lift to come down, but if there's a visual hint to that we missed it. (I'd actually failed to recognize a ledge as a lift.)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ah_Pook

More
13 Oct 2020 15:08 #315079 by hotseatgames

dysjunct wrote: HADES sounds great, but dang, I already have too many games. And if it's not on mobile I have to sequester myself in my office, which I just don't have much time for. :|

It's on Switch, if that helps.

More
13 Oct 2020 15:19 #315081 by dysjunct

hotseatgames wrote:

dysjunct wrote: HADES sounds great, but dang, I already have too many games. And if it's not on mobile I have to sequester myself in my office, which I just don't have much time for. :|

It's on Switch, if that helps.

I’d have to buy a Switch. :(

I’ll probably wait until it comes to iOS. If it does.

More
14 Oct 2020 17:51 - 14 Oct 2020 17:52 #315161 by Jexik
Played through Pyre and have decided to start another campaign. On my first playthrough I had some massive lag, and it turns out that it was cured by restarting my computer, but I was so gung-ho on playing through it that I didn't want to restart my computer to find out. Gonna see how it plays without lag and then probably bump the difficulty up a bit.

I've got the music stuck in my head when I'm not playing, and my mind wanders to how you'd make a board game or RPG out of it. The core rules of the [sports] game are pretty neat; it has me wondering if a board game with X-wing style free movement and simultaneous action selection would be strategically interesting or not.
Last edit: 14 Oct 2020 17:52 by Jexik.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
14 Oct 2020 19:27 #315165 by hotseatgames
Finally built the second shortcut on Spelunky 2. This game is so, so hard.

Fucking lava.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ah_Pook

More
15 Oct 2020 12:46 #315176 by jeb
I beat DARK SOULS III last night (50 hours, a personal best). After Aldrich, the PvE gets so much better. I was able to find buddies for pretty much everything I wanted to do after this, except the Consumed King. I'll go try that area again now that I am INSANELY strong. Now I am the helper, getting folks through the Grand Archives in crazy romps. I teamed up with someone last night and we were invaded at least five times by the same Dark Spirit, and we rolllllled them every time. It was great. Greatswords have an unlaggable arc, LOL. Later, I did a run from the bottom to the top of Grand Archives in about 15 minutes and made 210,000 Souls. Just nuts.

HEARTHSTONE is getting my attention too, they just pushed some changes to Battlegrounds to make that healthier. One change is getting rid of Pogo-Hopper, a minion that gets bigger for every Pogo-Hopper you played already. One Hero lets you "exchange" your minions for ones in the shop, so you could just cycle that thing every turn and get them HUGE. The removal happens later today, but I scored my first ever perfect game this morning with the combo, beating the seven other players in my pool without ever losing life.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
15 Oct 2020 12:54 - 15 Oct 2020 12:59 #315178 by Disgustipater

jeb wrote: I beat DARK SOULS III last night.

The Ringed City DLC is pretty good and I think that the “real” final boss Slave Knight Gael is one of the most rewarding boss fights in the series. But maybe that’s just because I found him to be very hard.

Last edit: 15 Oct 2020 12:59 by Disgustipater.

More
15 Oct 2020 13:15 #315180 by Gary Sax
A ton of people really hate the Ringed City. I thought everything was too way tanky on HP and I hated that, but I liked the arc of the story which many people didn't care for.

Warning: Spoiler!

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.562 seconds