October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What VIDEO GAME(s) have you been playing?

More
18 Oct 2020 07:18 #315310 by san il defanso
We took a little family trip this week, and I played lots of Hades. I've made it to the end of Elysium, but I've not yet cracked through that boss fight. Came real close though. I am favoring the shield as my primary weapon, because its ability to deflect is so clutch when every enemy is spewing projectiles left and right. It's so, so good.

Also I was inspired by the early access for Baldur's Gate 3 to start a new character in Baldur's Gate, since I don't have a setup that can run the new game anytime soon. I went with an Archer kit, and I'm going to be focusing on shortbows with an eye toward taking this guy all the way to the end of Throne of Bhaal. After finishing the game on Story Mode last year I wanted to try this one with some actual stakes, which for me just means Easy. As many long-time BG fans know, archery in the first Baldur's Gate is almost a cheat mode. So far I'm having a MUCH easier time in this play through than I expected. It's interesting, because I remembered BG1 having lots of empty wilderness to wander around in, and it totally does, but I'm finding it kind of meditative. It's a CRPG I can play while my wife and I watch TV together in the evening. I know it picks up in the last quarter or so, but for right now wandering around and killing monsters has gotten me pretty far. It's been great to revisit it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames, BillyBobThwarton

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Oct 2020 10:54 #315314 by hotseatgames
Still playing a lot of Apex Legends. Also still hacking away at Spelunky 2. It's still not going great. Friday I got to see one of my sons beat the game. Youth.....

I've been playing Dungeons & Dragons Online with Jim Felli. He's hardcore and has tons of resources, with which he has been very generous in helping me test the waters. This game is old, and it shows. The quests are fun and interesting, generally giving opportunities for various party members to shine.

The map... fuck that map. You can't find anything on it, nor can you just go full screen with it. There are filters, but using them is so clunky that it isn't worth it. And my god... how the hell is there no "warp to party leader" feature? We have wasted so much time with someone trying to find us in town. Long story short, I enjoy the game, but will not be hanging around. MMOs have never grabbed me and I doubt they ever will.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
20 Oct 2020 12:36 #315367 by jason10mm
How are MMOs doing these days? My oldest is 100% into these mindless arena battle type games like Fortnite and whatever the hell Roblox is. It's all wacky costumes and dances and meta-goals, nothing persistent between games from what I can tell. While its all online (which sucks when travelling) it seems kinda like the opposite of MMOs with a persistent world. Seems to me that the quick streaming e-sports type games are dominating while the long form world story games shifted back over to single player games like Assassins Creed and Witcher.

More
20 Oct 2020 12:43 - 20 Oct 2020 12:43 #315368 by hotseatgames
I suppose some MMOs are still doing fine, but it's true you don't hear as much about them these days. I know this is very old man yelling at clouds, but I think games took a couple of significant turns for the worse.

The first was Call of Duty Modern Warfare. Once that RPG-style progression made its way to this and every other kind of game, it was no longer about just playing for fun. It was grinding this or that. I fondly remember the days of Quake World, when you could jump in a match that was ALREADY going on, do some fragging, and then bounce back out. No need for XP gains, skin unlocks, etc.

The second big turn was the domination of streaming. Now games are made specifically to cater to that type of audience, and in my (again, old) opinion, it is not for the better.
Last edit: 20 Oct 2020 12:43 by hotseatgames.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jason10mm, sornars, the_jake_1973

More
20 Oct 2020 14:15 #315374 by jeb
SPELUNKY 2 is getting a hold on me. My 9yo and I built the shortcut to 1-4 and we've been exploring the cave-area over there on the right for a bit. I am trying to figure out how to turn on the drill we see sometimes, that looks fun. We made it to Olmec once, but I goofed while trying to get him to bonk his way into the drink there.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
20 Oct 2020 14:49 - 20 Oct 2020 20:22 #315378 by Disgustipater
The drill took me a while to figure out, but I think that might be due to poor design? There’s nothing special to do, it’s just real easy to miss.

Edit - I was wrong, there is a particular thing that needs to be done.
Last edit: 20 Oct 2020 20:22 by Disgustipater.

More
20 Oct 2020 15:55 #315379 by jeb
I'm probably making it too hard! Don't spoil, but I have been trying to put lava on the little button thing. Sounds like I am overshooting the mark, haha.

This game is great for gamers. If you've been playing games for your whole life and can still get into CASTLEVANIA or whatever, you can't go wrong with SPELUNKY. It's a marvel.

More
20 Oct 2020 17:03 #315381 by Ah_Pook

Disgustipater wrote: The drill took me a while to figure out, but I think that might be due to poor design? There’s nothing special to do, it’s just real easy to miss.

There is something special you need to do, I'll spoiler it

Warning: Spoiler!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Disgustipater

More
20 Oct 2020 20:21 #315384 by Disgustipater
That's probably why I couldn't figure it out. Thanks!

More
20 Oct 2020 20:36 #315386 by hotseatgames
I've been practicing robbing / murdering the shopkeeper in Spelunky 2. Having a shotgun is SUCH a huge advantage. Of course dealing with rabid shopkeepers after the fact is usually a death sentence for me.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

More
20 Oct 2020 21:34 #315389 by san il defanso
I unlocked all the weapons in Hades, and now I'm in that part of the game where you start gaining Aspects on all of them. It's like the whole thing has opened up to me.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, Gary Sax

More
22 Oct 2020 11:40 #315437 by hotseatgames
On a whim, I picked up Disc Room on the Switch. It's also on PC. My initial impressions are very positive. It is essentially Pacifism mode from Geometry Wars, cranked up to 11. Each room has various rules that you have to figure out, but rule number 1 is to simply not get cut in half by swirling saw blades.

More
28 Oct 2020 10:25 #315635 by Ah_Pook
I've been trying to get hype for Cyberpunk, but it got delayed another month. The fact that it's coming in so so hot kinda makes me feel like I should wait and see if it's a hot mess on release or not, which is a shame.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, BillyBobThwarton

More
28 Oct 2020 11:21 #315637 by Shellhead

Ah_Pook wrote: I've been trying to get hype for Cyberpunk, but it got delayed another month. The fact that it's coming in so so hot kinda makes me feel like I should wait and see if it's a hot mess on release or not, which is a shame.

Same here. The timing is now such that they have a tremendous (Christmas) incentive to rush the game to market and then patch it later. Plus, the year 2020 has a particular significance to fans of the Cyberpunk rpg, which created the setting for this game. The first edition of the rpg was set in the futuristic year of 2013, but the more popular 2nd edition was set in 2020.

More
28 Oct 2020 11:31 #315638 by Shellhead
I'm stuck right now in my Vampire: Bloodlines game. At my current save point, I need to endure back to back cut scenes of reasonable entertainment value (unless I need to watch them both another dozen times), then flee a burning building while crazy burning people try to attack me. Because they are on fire, they are easy to dispatch with a single shot from a gun or blow from my axe, but my character is also very vulnerable to burning. The cut scenes automatically re-holster my weapon and fighting the burning lunatics with my fists causes me more fire damage. But the really bad part is that I need to remember the shortest path to the exit, because I can only survive a short time while on fire. The two previous times that I played this far into the game, I was using characters that had Fortitude, which is short-term supernatural resistance to damage, including fire damage. Now I don't have that breathing room. Once I get past this, my next mission will involve battling past a zombie horde to fight a vampire who has supernatural speed. As in the better zombie movies, these zombies are slow but durable opponents, but a serious threat if I get dogpiled.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.501 seconds