October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2510 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What VIDEO GAME(s) have you been playing?

More
23 Dec 2020 10:16 #317463 by RobertB

jason10mm wrote: My son has discovered Among Us which is basically digital werewolf with a cutesy sci-fi skin. He is really really good as the imposter, shiving unsuspecting players left and right. I think I'm becoming scared of him....

My daughter loves Among Us. She's always been a fan of hidden traitor games.

Her and her friends went through a Coup phase a while back. I played it with them a few times, and they'd just bust my ass at it. They played it at a whole different level than I did, sneaky-ass little snakes.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, jason10mm

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Dec 2020 10:57 #317464 by Rliyen

Andi Lennon wrote: Now that the current gen of consoles is winding down I guess I can formulate my list of what for me were the best games of the generation. I opted for the ps4 this cycle (thanks almost entirely to Bloodborne) and although as a whole I found this generation less interesting than most previous cycles - there were still some gems, even if a lot of them were ports of old games or titles that could comfortably run on older hardware.

So, in no particular order- these are the games I most enjoyed during the life of the PS4:

Darkest Dungeon - I probably put more hours into this than any other title and I STILL haven't crested the final titular dungeon. It’s the peerless atmosphere and constant tension (that counterintuitively actually relieves my real-world anxiety) that keeps me glued to this one, crushing run after and merciless plunge.

Sunless Sea- Similar to DD, SS is a ridiculously challenging roguelike that nonetheless absolutely enchants due to its incredible atmosphere. The most impressive writing I’ve encountered in a videogame to date combines with a wildly evocative soundtrack and the kind of ‘doomed and haunted mariner’ theme that seemed tailor made for me, to craft an unforgettable world.

Both of those are some of my all time favorites. I'm cresting the DD, but haven't gotten to the end. I'm in the Maddening-CYST DUNGEON. With a broken ass uber cyst protecting a smaller one that TELEPORTS YOU TO HELL'S HALF ACRE arbitrarily. A friend who gifted me the game said that the teleport cyst actually HELPED him finish the dungeon, by sending him where he needed to be. Lucky bastard.

And Sunless Sea? A silly, stupid hard naval game in the Fallen London mythos. The writing is witty, sometimes dark, but it's always fun to try again after you've died the zillionth time to sea beasts and you're nearly out of fuel.

If you don't have it, I HIGHLY recommend Cultist Simulator. It's made by the same development group and it's got a steep learning curve. But, once you figure things out, you start getting into a zone with broadening your cult and marking your ascension. Wonderful game.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Andi Lennon

More
23 Dec 2020 11:20 #317466 by Gary Sax
Cultist Simulator will give you a great 10-20 hours at least, you do sound like the audience for it. Don't do an FAQ read, the game really is figuring the mechanics out yourself.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen

More
23 Dec 2020 11:28 #317467 by Rliyen

Gary Sax wrote: Cultist Simulator will give you a great 10-20 hours at least, you do sound like the audience for it. Don't do an FAQ read, the game really is figuring the mechanics out yourself.

QFT

Half the fun is figuring out how to do things.

More
24 Dec 2020 11:46 #317495 by Shellhead
I haven't been able to play Cyberpunk 2077 yet, while waiting for delivery of a better graphics card. It arrived yesterday, but by the time I picked it up from the UPS Store, I was exhausted from dealing with a nasty blizzard. I will get around to installing it on Christmas Day. In the mean time, I spent some time yesterday watching Felicia Day play CP 2077 on Twitch. It was moderately amusing because she is sometimes funny. Here's an example:

Felicia: [cuts down several goons with a katana]

Felicia: [to Twitch audience] Guys, this was supposed to be a stealth mission! I don't know what happened!

More
24 Dec 2020 12:20 #317496 by hotseatgames
I believe I am very near the end of Cyberpunk 2077. I am a God, striking down my foes with a blink of my cyber eyes. This does not get old.

I will expound on this game in detail after I beat it. But the short version is, this game is good when it functions. I would have not believed it to hear that the story is the best part, but it is. The game needs more time to cook.

In the mean time, spend $5 this holiday and buy Deux Ex: Human Revolution if you haven't played it; there are similar themes, and it's a better game. It doesn't reach for the stars in the way that Cyberpunk 2077 does; but it achieves its goals admirably.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, Rliyen, Gary Sax

More
24 Dec 2020 14:07 #317497 by Andi Lennon

Rliyen wrote:

Andi Lennon wrote: Now that the current gen of consoles is winding down I guess I can formulate my list of what for me were the best games of the generation. I opted for the ps4 this cycle (thanks almost entirely to Bloodborne) and although as a whole I found this generation less interesting than most previous cycles - there were still some gems, even if a lot of them were ports of old games or titles that could comfortably run on older hardware.

So, in no particular order- these are the games I most enjoyed during the life of the PS4:

Darkest Dungeon - I probably put more hours into this than any other title and I STILL haven't crested the final titular dungeon. It’s the peerless atmosphere and constant tension (that counterintuitively actually relieves my real-world anxiety) that keeps me glued to this one, crushing run after and merciless plunge.

Sunless Sea- Similar to DD, SS is a ridiculously challenging roguelike that nonetheless absolutely enchants due to its incredible atmosphere. The most impressive writing I’ve encountered in a videogame to date combines with a wildly evocative soundtrack and the kind of ‘doomed and haunted mariner’ theme that seemed tailor made for me, to craft an unforgettable world.

Both of those are some of my all time favorites. I'm cresting the DD, but haven't gotten to the end. I'm in the Maddening-CYST DUNGEON. With a broken ass uber cyst protecting a smaller one that TELEPORTS YOU TO HELL'S HALF ACRE arbitrarily. A friend who gifted me the game said that the teleport cyst actually HELPED him finish the dungeon, by sending him where he needed to be. Lucky bastard.

And Sunless Sea? A silly, stupid hard naval game in the Fallen London mythos. The writing is witty, sometimes dark, but it's always fun to try again after you've died the zillionth time to sea beasts and you're nearly out of fuel.

If you don't have it, I HIGHLY recommend Cultist Simulator. It's made by the same development group and it's got a steep learning curve. But, once you figure things out, you start getting into a zone with broadening your cult and marking your ascension. Wonderful game.

I adore Cultist Simulator, it still intrigues and confounds in equal measure. There's a kickstarter for a new game in the Fallen London universe fast approaching too. It's a visual novel which normally wouldn't appeal but with the writing Failbetter put out I know I'll be down for it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen

More
25 Dec 2020 16:24 #317509 by jason10mm
So the wife surprised me with an xbox series X. Damn that thing is BIG! Not even sure what is worth it, probably get Valhalla and maybe Gears5 since I have game pass. It really makes me want to grab those 4K LOTR blu-rays though since it is the only thing I have that can play those discs.

And where the hell did all the joysticks go? Grabbed Rebel Galaxy Outlaw off the steam sale along with Star Wars Squadrons a few weeks back and I am USELESS playing those things with a KB and mouse. I guess I could use a controller but I really just want a decent HOTAS rig but there are none to be had without a crazy mark-up. Is it just a transient thing due to all these flight games dropping close together or is this just normal and I should expect to pay $200+?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
25 Dec 2020 17:03 #317511 by hotseatgames
I have been using an original Xbox One from way back, and would like to get an Xbox Series X when I can. I requested Mortal Kombat 11 Ultimate as a gift this year, thinking I could play it on the One and then use its fancy upgrades on the Series X when I get it.

As fate would have it, a Series S fell into my lap today, as well as the MK 11 DISC. So the disc sits, still wrapped, and the S is downloading Control.

Also... the Series S is completely silent and tiny. The controller feels great!

More
25 Dec 2020 20:50 #317513 by jason10mm
Yeah, that new controller is awesome. We'll see how well that textured coating holds up. I wonder if xb1 controllers will work with the xsx. Normally I don't expect that sort of thing but console generations just seem to be smearing into an endless slight iteration cycle nowadays.

More
25 Dec 2020 22:27 #317515 by hotseatgames
It's my understanding that the controllers from the One will work forward, and the new ones may even work on a One, but I don't know about that one.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
26 Dec 2020 15:08 #317523 by dysjunct
Decided to get HADES since it’s on the Steam sale, and I like roguelikes, and it’s been getting nigh-universal acclaim. Downloaded it this morning, went to fire it up, and turns out my aging iMac doesn’t meet the system requirements. Sigh. Refund applied for.

More
26 Dec 2020 18:53 #317527 by mtagge

hotseatgames wrote: In the mean time, spend $5 this holiday and buy Deux Ex: Human Revolution if you haven't played it; there are similar themes, and it's a better game. It doesn't reach for the stars in the way that Cyberpunk 2077 does; but it achieves its goals admirably.

It's $2.99. With a recommendation that is hard to turn down. I'll pick it up before the sale ends with the intent to go through it in quarantine. Are the other's any good or just Human Revolution?

As for my slate, I have been loving Game Pass ultimate. To the point where it makes me feel bad about other purchases I have made. When Target had a sale on the three month gift cards for $19 after 5% off, I splurged and picked up three (max purchase in one transaction) so I am good for a long while at about $6.34 a month. One example of a game I bought and regretted was Greedfall (of course now on Game Pass) because the combat was too similar and I hate quests that make you wait in the city until nightfall with no way to auto pass the time. On the other hand there are some gems in there like Untitled Goose Game that is a fantastic four hour game. Utterly delightful you play as a goose with a checklist of tasks in each scene such as make the kid buy his toy back (by stealing it and placing it in a store toy rack), steal the gardner's hat, or other such nonsense. It also has a rougelike platformer that I pick up occasionally, Neon Abyss. It's a two stick game (one for move one for shoot direction) with an random artifact system.

I pretty much finished up Dragon Quest XI. Still need to fight the final boss, but got sidetracked by Monster Train. It takes homage from Slay the Spire with the artifact system, but is so much more robust. I do like that with GamePass I can play on either my Xbox or my laptop when the kids are using the Xbox, even finishing up games I started on the other system. Also started Into the Neoverse which is another rougelike card battler with some key differences (you get bonuses for killing the enemy exactly or blocking exactly). But I am pretty much done with it, ready to go back to Monster Train.

I tried the new Jedi exploration one, but it was too samey after the third planet. Fun, but I wasn't interested in continuing.

Kids have been doing Starwars Battlefront II, Roblox, and a online scenario in Minecraft called Bedwars.

Whew!

I'll get to Cyberpunk next December.

More
26 Dec 2020 21:08 #317529 by hotseatgames

mtagge wrote:

hotseatgames wrote: In the mean time, spend $5 this holiday and buy Deux Ex: Human Revolution if you haven't played it; there are similar themes, and it's a better game. It doesn't reach for the stars in the way that Cyberpunk 2077 does; but it achieves its goals admirably.

It's $2.99. With a recommendation that is hard to turn down. I'll pick it up before the sale ends with the intent to go through it in quarantine. Are the other's any good or just Human Revolution?

My Deus Ex opinions:
Deus Ex (the original, old as hell game): simply one of the best games I have ever played on any platform. A masterpiece and there are high res texture packs to make it look better.

Deus Ex Invisible War: never played. It doesn't have a good reputation.

Deus Ex Human Revolution: fantastic, a shockingly worthy sequel to the original game. Not that they are related, because they aren't.

Deus Ex Mankind Divided: a sequel to Human Revolution, but not as highly regarded. I started it, fell off rather quickly. Maybe I'll try again some day, but something about it just didn't grab me.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, mtagge

More
27 Dec 2020 12:32 #317542 by hotseatgames
I hooked up my old Xbox One to a different television and started playing my newly acquired Mortal Kombat 11 Ultimate. The story mode is really amazing! It is basically like watching a CG movie broken up with sequences where you fight one on one. I've always been a fan of MK so it's fun for me to engage with the characters like this.

A "temporal disturbance" has older characters meeting their younger selves, and the interactions between old Johnny Cage and young Johnny Cage are hilarious.

I have very briefly played some VS with my son, and I can tell you that Rambo is fantastic. Easy moves, and powerful.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WadeMonnig

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.610 seconds