October 09, 2023
2295 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2511 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What VIDEO GAME(s) have you been playing?

More
10 Sep 2021 14:15 #326413 by san il defanso
I remember the vast majority of it being voiced, but I played about a year and a half ago. I always appreciate voice acting, but the sheer density of the dialog in DE makes it hard to listen to everyone talking the whole time. I also think I did the finale pretty late at night, like 2AM, and I think I was very aware at how long the denouement was.

But yeah, it's terrific. A lot of newer CRPGs feel like they are riffing on old ideas, but Disco Elysium is one that can stand with the classics of the genre. It has that Planescape: Torment vibe, while still being much better designed and generally just as strong a story.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Sep 2021 16:41 #326414 by hotseatgames
Just finished all 4 of the official expansions for the original Quake. The first two came out just after the release of the game, the third came out in.. 2019 I think, and the 4th was released during the 25th anniversary celebration.

My mini reviews....
1st expansion - the best of the four, a total blast to play
2nd expansion - got a little too fancy for its own good
3rd expansion - very tricky, again overly elaborate and fancy
4th expansion - huge, expansive levels that never would have been possible back in the day. A challenging treat.

More
10 Sep 2021 17:26 #326417 by Michael Barnes
Those new ones are really well done- they still have that classic Quake feel. What a great game. Bring on Quake 2022!

Other than that than Quake…been playing Devil May Cry 5. At first I didn’t like it, it didn’t have that flow and feel that the other DMC games had…I thought some of the design choices were strange, like how Nero can’t switch Devil Breakers…but last night, I spent about 20 minutes in the training and found the groove. SSS ranks followed. Now I get it. It’s definitely DMC, complete with rev up sword and sassy attitudes from sassy dudes. The hillbilly lady that serves as your fixer is an odd, awkward touch. Looks stunning on PS5.

Still on the Musou thing, especially Pirate Warriors 3. There’s something about mid-tier anime games that is really speaking to me right now. I picked up Gundam Vs. Maxiboost and holy shit it’s FUN. It’s an arcade game in Japan so it’s pretty limited to 2v2 mobile suit battles, but there are like 180 Gundam/Zakus/etc. to choose from and they are all different. It’s quite deep, definitely not a button masher…knowing what you can do and when is critical, and there is a lot of good skill based play. Maining Deathscythe, Crossbones, Sazabi, and F91 right now but honestly it’s fun to just hit random and see what you get. I believe every show and film is represented up through Iron Blooded Orphans.

I also caught a $7 sale on Dragon Ball Z Xenoverse 2. It’s odd, I really like DB but I have zero interest in reading the manga or watching the shows. I just like the characters and art. So far it’s really fun, TONS of content and lots of bullshitty fighting. $7 well spent.

Really want that Attack on Titan game but MF never goes on sale from $60.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames

More
14 Sep 2021 14:18 #326502 by Gary Sax
Deathloop looks extremely cool. Console exclusive to PS5, but on PC right now. I'm holding back as I bought a game this month already, but next month I'll probably pick this up.

More
14 Sep 2021 15:04 #326504 by hotseatgames
I too, am being tempted by Deathloop. Perhaps it will be on gamepass for PC?

More
14 Sep 2021 18:25 - 14 Sep 2021 18:26 #326510 by jason10mm

hotseatgames wrote: I too, am being tempted by Deathloop. Perhaps it will be on gamepass for PC?

I think I heard somewhere that MS bought the studio, so seems likely if that is the case.

Edit: Yup

"Microsoft is entering into an agreement to buy ZeniMax Media, the parent company of some of the most famous game studios in the world. ZeniMax owns studios including id Software, Arkane Studios and Bethesda Softworks, as well as a number of other big game makers."
Last edit: 14 Sep 2021 18:26 by jason10mm.

More
14 Sep 2021 19:03 #326512 by Gary Sax
Yes, it's Arkane. They're doing a coop vampire shooter next. But they had a contractual exclusive with Sony for consoles so its either PS or PC.

More
15 Sep 2021 18:33 #326536 by mtagge
Yowza, looked it up on Steam. It is the second review in as many days (I also looked at the new Vampire: The Masquerade FPS) where the reviews warn about excessive anti-piracy software.

That's going to be a hard pass for me. Perhaps I'll give it a shot if it comes out on XBOX gamepass. FPS aren't my cup of tea in the first place. Spyware is a no from me.

Are people really pirating video games anymore?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen, Gary Sax, sornars

More
20 Sep 2021 14:54 #326645 by Rliyen
Took a break from the PC and Payday 2 to Netflix binge (being in front of the computer all day really doesn't inspirit you to continue once you get home). However, with a few heads up from my Tweeps, I played my ass off in two games.

Titan Quest: Anniversary Edition: I played the original back in 07, thought it was okay, but not great. I gave it to a coworker at my firm and never thought about it since. Now, recently I started Grim Dawn, and liked it. Then, this weekend THQ had a massive sale, and two free games on Steam, one of which was Titan Quest: AE.

Why did I do this???? For the loot, of course! My disdain for this game softened over the 13 years since I last played it. It's fun and a time sink.

I purchased Hand of Fate, because it was on sale. I have to say, Aussies know how to make engaging games (e.g. Crawl) and this one is no exception, part card game and part mini-arena combat. The foes are nice to look at and the encounter cards remind me of Talisman without the board. Will definitely play more in the future.
The following user(s) said Thank You: san il defanso, Nodens

More
20 Sep 2021 15:47 - 20 Sep 2021 15:52 #326647 by san il defanso
Still in a roleplaying kind of place...

Baldur's Gate II - I'm past the first section in Athkatla, and now I'm in Spellhold. I've hit some of the more challenging encounters, so I'm kind of lying low on this one for a while. I'll probably jump back in after a couple days of break.

Neverwinter Nights - One of those weird games with a great deal of success that still has a somewhat mixed reputation. I've bounced off of a couple of tries on this one already, but I reinstalled it today and I dunno, something is working for me right now. The camera and the engine still look kind of ugly, but that's par for the course on those Aurora engine games from the early aughts.

I bailed on Pathfinder: Kingmaker after about 20 hours. It's got a lot of stuff going for it, but it's also one of those games that feels like it was designed by someone who was tired of catering to casuals. It's loaded with cruft and mechanics, and this is in a genre that is already known for its density. I dunno, it feels like it's making me work a little too hard for the stuff I enjoy. The kingdom building stuff is a bit of a swing and a miss for me. It feels like a lot of busywork, and throttles the adventuring part too hard. Maybe some people really dig it, I don't know. I will likely revisit it again at some point, but it's not really the sort of thing I want from a CRPG just now. Shame too, because I think the Pathfinder ruleset is really at its best in this setting.
Last edit: 20 Sep 2021 15:52 by san il defanso.
The following user(s) said Thank You: sornars

More
08 Oct 2021 15:43 #327069 by hotseatgames
Two games from the opposite ends of the spectrum, and they are both free right now:

Battlefield 2042 open beta: the beta runs through the weekend, it's an 18 GB download I think. On PC it's 128 players running around a huge map. I don't pretend to know what is going on yet, but I like the enormity of it; it lets a mediocre player such as myself just run around and do stuff without worrying too much about performance. I'm sure with enough time I'll understand the inner workings. I have already pre-ordered myself a copy and copies for my kids.

PC Building Simulator: This is free right now on Epic Game Store. I know it might sound ludicrous, but I have to say the time I have spent so far is very chill; you take repair jobs via email, never have to talk to customers, and get to fix the PCs, install parts, etc. There is a free build section so you can make the most expensive machine you can dream up.

I wish I had bought this game back when the pandemic hit, because I am finding it very calming, kind of zen.

More
08 Oct 2021 19:48 #327073 by Disgustipater

hotseatgames wrote: Battlefield 2042 open beta: the beta runs through the weekend

I hope to play some tonight.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames

More
11 Oct 2021 22:05 #327125 by san il defanso
I've finished the first two missions of the original Deus Ex. This is my first time playing it. Brace yourself for my hot take...

It real good.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, hotseatgames

More
11 Oct 2021 22:33 #327126 by hotseatgames
Deus Ex is one of my all-time favorite PC games. Probably top 5. I want to play it again one of these days. Human Revolution is also good. (the third title)
The following user(s) said Thank You: san il defanso

More
11 Oct 2021 22:39 - 11 Oct 2021 22:42 #327127 by san il defanso
There's not a lot of reason for me to rehash the great points of the design, but I will do so anyway because that's how I roll. The biggest thing I love is how it really does invite you to play however you want. You can do the very stealthy thing and creep around, picking people off from a distance. But then you can also go in with a shotgun and a grenade, and with some luck you can succeed just as much. It really does provide enormous flexibility in how you play. The way the levels are designed (so far) it doesn't seem to tilt me in any particular direction. It's just big areas that feel organic and realistic, and you can do whatever it takes.
Last edit: 11 Oct 2021 22:42 by san il defanso.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.465 seconds