October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What VIDEO GAME(s) have you been playing?

More
14 Oct 2021 11:24 #327177 by hotseatgames
Quite a while ago, I played through all 3 games in the Nonary Game series. These are basically puzzle games that involve a group of people locked up in a complex and forced to survive various death traps. They can at times be frustrating but I appreciated the storylines and how things branch. You get to jump around to experience the different threads of the story as well. This is usually required if you want to see the "true" ending.

Anyway, a game by the same developer is on Xbox Gamepass now. AI - The Somnium Files, which is not a name that instills confidence, perhaps. You play an investigator with an AI installed in one of your eyes, and you can enter people's dreams to investigate crimes. This game isn't connected to the nonary games, but you can tell that the music was done by the same person (persons?), and that's a good thing because the music in these games is very good.

The game started out in a very linear fashion and I was a little disappointed that it didn't seem to really let you fail at all. However, as the game progresses, the story gets more interesting and choices increase. You will have to put up with some suggestive dialog that is probably hilarious if you are 14. I thought I was racing towards the finish of the game at around the 8 hour mark, and suddenly was faced with going back and further exploring past branches of the story in order to proceed. So... this game is clearly more like the Nonary Games than I previously expected. Overall I like the game and will definitely finish it. I can't say that for many of the games I try on gamepass.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Oct 2021 11:37 #327178 by jpat
For my birthday, my wife got me/us a more or less handmade standup arcade game cabinet with four player controls and trackball. It runs games as software under emulation, which, in my limited experience produces mixed results--some very good, many OK, some eh but playable, some that won't load or run. Seems like there's plenty that will run, though, and the cabinet itself is a beaut, with the only minor flaws being that I unknowingly tore the "skin" in a couple of places where scotch tape remained in place too long. First game I tried was the arcade version of Gyruss, as between the arcade and NES versions, it was probably my most played game as a kid. I got my mother-in-law, who is living with us now, to play Mortal Kombat 3 with me a few times too. :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen, Gary Sax, jason10mm, hotseatgames, sornars, Kmann

More
14 Oct 2021 14:19 #327189 by jason10mm
I was at some random game bar the other day that had a lot of Capcom multi-game arcade cabinets. I played enough games to remind myself that while my MEMORIES of these games cherishes them, the actual gameplay is so damned frustrating with a brutal level of difficulty! Having infinite "quarters" to respawn takes all the thrill out of it as well. Still, it was so nice to have beefy joysticks to slam around and buttons to pound on versus the oh so delicate console controllers.

I still think pin-ball machines are the epitome of physical gaming pleasure though. About the only modern arcade games I like are the ones with a gun to use or a bike to ride (now that I think on it, those are about the ONLY arcade games being made now, other than a digital screen replacing physical ticket generating carnival games). I think VR is the next big scene, at least going by the stuff I see at Main Event and the like.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen, Gregarius, BillyBobThwarton

More
14 Oct 2021 15:40 #327196 by Gregarius

jason10mm wrote: I still think pin-ball machines are the epitome of physical gaming pleasure though.

You are wise.

More
15 Oct 2021 01:32 #327211 by RobertB
A friend of mine put together one of those big 4-control suite MAME cabinets, with all of the controls - 6 buttons, a trackball, and joystick. He bought it to play Gauntlet. It was pretty sweet.

Any time I play my old mid-80's arcade favorites, I find out how slow my reflexes have gotten.

As for pinball, I have a Nitro Groundshaker . It's pretty nice. I don't play it as much as I should. It does work and keep score, but it could stand a little TLC.

More
15 Oct 2021 08:28 #327213 by hotseatgames
I have a 4 player MAME cab I built a long time ago. I regret not doing a trackball but I did do rotary sticks for Ikari Warriors and a 4-way stick for Donkey Kong. It rotates for Q-Bert and Congo Bongo.

Pinball would be cool but they are noisy and you are signing up for a lifetime of maintenance.

More
15 Oct 2021 09:16 #327214 by Ah_Pook
Owning a pinball table is a hobby unto itself. Constant tinkering and maintenance on extremely specialized parts. I see the appeal, but I'm not in a place where I can really do that myself. Kinda like owning and restoring a classic car.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, sornars

More
15 Oct 2021 09:27 #327215 by RobertB
Sam's Club is selling this: www.atgames.net/arcades/legends-pinball/ . I guess if you're a hardcore pinball junkie that's strapped for space, maybe it would scratch your itch.

As for maintenance/tinkering, you're right - it's a subhobby of a hobby.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen, jpat, hotseatgames

More
15 Oct 2021 10:15 #327216 by hotseatgames

RobertB wrote: Sam's Club is selling this: www.atgames.net/arcades/legends-pinball/ . I guess if you're a hardcore pinball junkie that's strapped for space, maybe it would scratch your itch.

I'm glad I don't have a SAM'S club membership or that would be in my basement already.

More
15 Oct 2021 10:20 #327217 by Rliyen

jason10mm wrote: I was at some random game bar the other day that had a lot of Capcom multi-game arcade cabinets. I played enough games to remind myself that while my MEMORIES of these games cherishes them, the actual gameplay is so damned frustrating with a brutal level of difficulty! Having infinite "quarters" to respawn takes all the thrill out of it as well. Still, it was so nice to have beefy joysticks to slam around and buttons to pound on versus the oh so delicate console controllers.

I still think pin-ball machines are the epitome of physical gaming pleasure though. About the only modern arcade games I like are the ones with a gun to use or a bike to ride (now that I think on it, those are about the ONLY arcade games being made now, other than a digital screen replacing physical ticket generating carnival games). I think VR is the next big scene, at least going by the stuff I see at Main Event and the like.

I know the feeling of the "infinite" quarters. I have a lot of capcom games on my PS2, and to relive that INSERT COIN feeling, I take some poker chips and put them to the side. Every time I need a "quarter" I put one of the chips to the side and continue. Out of chips? Shit, gotta ask mom for more.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jason10mm

More
15 Oct 2021 13:47 #327231 by jason10mm

Rliyen wrote: Every time I need a "quarter" I put one of the chips to the side and continue. Out of chips? Shit, gotta ask mom for more.

My wife: "You want a chip? Take out the trash and for god's sake let your kids take a turn, sheesh!"
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen, the_jake_1973

More
15 Oct 2021 13:51 #327232 by jason10mm

Ah_Pook wrote: Owning a pinball table is a hobby unto itself. Constant tinkering and maintenance on extremely specialized parts. I see the appeal, but I'm not in a place where I can really do that myself. Kinda like owning and restoring a classic car.

I was staying at a Disney resort once and they had an Indiana Jones pinball machine in their little mostly neglected arcade room.

I actually cased the joint to see if there was a legit possibility I could steal that machine and get it into the minivan and off the resort :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen

More
15 Oct 2021 15:33 #327236 by Gregarius

hotseatgames wrote:

RobertB wrote: Sam's Club is selling this: www.atgames.net/arcades/legends-pinball/ . I guess if you're a hardcore pinball junkie that's strapped for space, maybe it would scratch your itch.

I'm glad I don't have a SAM'S club membership or that would be in my basement already.

I'm glad I don't have a basement or it would be filled with pinball machines.

Pinball machines used to be a big hobby of mine. I've gone through several machines. The only ones I have left are Hurricane (3rd in the rollercoaster theme) and Gran Prix (an old EM from the '70s). There are so many others that I would love to have, but I just don't have the time or the space. Maybe someday I'll get back into it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jason10mm

More
15 Oct 2021 15:33 #327237 by Ah_Pook
Was it the old one with the revolver grip to launch the ball? I played that one a ton back when it came out.

More
16 Oct 2021 12:26 #327250 by hotseatgames
Back 4 Blood is on GamePass, and I played it on PC last night with a friend of mine and two of his friends. This is THE way to play this game. Solo with bots is just.... boring. The bots are dumb, and it's just not all that interesting. However, playing cooperatively is infinitely more entertaining. It was nice all having complementary weapons so we weren't stealing ammo from others, etc.

The game itself is cribbing so hard from Left 4 Dead that it's amazing that it just came out. It seems like it could have been Left 4 Dead 3 and showed up 2 years after the second game. The big new feature is the "card system". You can build a deck of cards, and each round you get to choose one that will provide some sort of buff. In addition, the game system will draw a "corruption card" that will somehow provide a negative effect to the game.

My initial impression of the card system is that the corruption effects are more interesting than the buff system, but perhaps it gets a lot better as you get higher tier cards.

The guns feel good, as does the shooting. One thing I noticed with the standard M4 assault rifle is that the ADS (aiming down sights) is SLOOOOW, so it was with great joy that I managed to find an attachment that reduced the time by 30%. This made the gun much more fun to use.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, jason10mm

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.557 seconds