Front Page

Content

Authors

Game Index

Forums

Site Tools

Submissions

About

T
thegiantbrain
August 11, 2022
147 0
W
WadeMonnig
August 10, 2022
356 1
O
oliverkinne
August 09, 2022
421 0
T
thegiantbrain
August 04, 2022
425 0
O
oliverkinne
August 01, 2022
733 0

Scout Board Game Review

Board Game Reviews
O
oliverkinne
July 29, 2022
817 0
T
thegiantbrain
July 28, 2022
494 0
W
WadeMonnig
July 27, 2022
846 1
O
oliverkinne
July 26, 2022
940 0
T
thegiantbrain
July 25, 2022
710 0

The Split - Review

Board Game Reviews
T
thegiantbrain
July 21, 2022
769 0
W
WadeMonnig
July 20, 2022
1123 1
MB
Michael Barnes
July 14, 2022
2566 0
T
thegiantbrain
July 14, 2022
724 0
A
adamr
July 13, 2022
827 0
×
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What VIDEO GAME(s) have you been playing?

More
25 Jan 2022 14:31 #330124 by RobertB
Raids as a concept are fun. I raided in WoW for probably longer than was mentally healthy, and for me there was nothing more fun in WoW than a raid whose difficulty was right on the edge of achievable. But pick-up raids are misery. I knew better, but where there's life there's hope.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, BillyBobThwarton, Ah_Pook

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Jan 2022 09:06 #330128 by jason10mm
My favorite username of "Leroy_Jenkins666" told everyone what they were gonna get if they picked me for a rando raid :P

If you have comms I find even rando raids can be pretty good, if the community is healthy. Rainbow Six Siege, at least in the early days, was positive like that. Folks WANTED you to succeed.

These days though I'm leery of any kind of chat, especially when my kid is on it (or conversely, if I'm playing as his character just to get him past a tough spot and his little buddies are squawking in the background, I try to stay quiet because I don't want any parents hearing an adult voice on the line). Just too much trash talking.

The comment about folks exploiting games is true as well. Me and my friends played the crap out of L4D and it was an absolute blast. Then I played with one of my wifes cousins, a teenager, and he knew ALL the exploits and frame clip breaks, etc. He zipped to the end of the level in blinding speed and left me in the dust. Not only was it defeating the purpose of the game, it was poor teamsmanship. As mad as I was, it was EXACTLY the shit I was doing at that age :P
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Jan 2022 09:53 #330132 by Legomancer
I'm looking for a good couch co-op game my wife and I can play. I'm way out of the loop on what's good (we have a PS4).

In the past we've enjoyed Diablo 3, The Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance PS2 games, Gauntlet on PS2, and some of the earlier Lego Star Wars and superhero games.

I'm looking for something fairly light. Neither of us needs anyone on the screen yelling at us to do shit. We like running around killing things and busting stuff up. Neither wants to fiddle too much with tiny incremental stats or whatever (In Diablo 3 we both tend to hang on to items until we get something that is unquestionably better). No PVP, not really into fighting games, bullet hell, racing. Just us no other players.

I looked at a few guides for PS4 couch co-op and these titles jumped out but the PS4 store has NO information! Screenshots, video, nothing. Anyone have any yea/nays on these?

Minecraft Dungeons
Outward
It Takes Two
Gauntlet: Slayer Edition
Divinity: Original Sin
Never Alone

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Jan 2022 10:51 - 26 Jan 2022 10:54 #330135 by jeb
BROFORCE is great, but check it out. If you don’t think 80s/90s action bro movies are worth satire it won’t work. It’s funny, highly kinetic, and has some great opportunities for couch co-op hilarity.

SPELUNKY 2 can be played couch co-op, but that’s a lifestyle choice. You might haaaaate it.

There’s another one that is slightly more serious, with a menacing undercurrent of STARSHIP TROOPERS vibes as you fly off to distant worlds to protect MegaEarth or something. I can’t remember it at the moment, but I’ll update when it comes back to me.
Update! HELLDIVERS
Last edit: 26 Jan 2022 10:54 by jeb.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen, Legomancer

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Jan 2022 10:54 #330136 by hotseatgames

jeb wrote: There’s another one that is slightly more serious, with a menacing undercurrent of STARSHIP TROOPERS vibes as you fly off to distant worlds to protect MegaEarth or something. I can’t remember it at the moment, but I’ll update when it comes back to me.


I think you are talking about Helldivers, and that game is RAD. Super challenging though.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Jan 2022 10:59 #330137 by Rliyen

hotseatgames wrote:

jeb wrote: There’s another one that is slightly more serious, with a menacing undercurrent of STARSHIP TROOPERS vibes as you fly off to distant worlds to protect MegaEarth or something. I can’t remember it at the moment, but I’ll update when it comes back to me.


I think you are talking about Helldivers, and that game is RAD. Super challenging though.


Especially with that "FUCK YOU" tutorial.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Jan 2022 11:02 - 26 Jan 2022 11:38 #330138 by Rliyen

Legomancer wrote: I'm looking for a good couch co-op game my wife and I can play. I'm way out of the loop on what's good (we have a PS4).

In the past we've enjoyed Diablo 3, The Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance PS2 games, Gauntlet on PS2, and some of the earlier Lego Star Wars and superhero games.

I'm looking for something fairly light. Neither of us needs anyone on the screen yelling at us to do shit. We like running around killing things and busting stuff up. Neither wants to fiddle too much with tiny incremental stats or whatever (In Diablo 3 we both tend to hang on to items until we get something that is unquestionably better). No PVP, not really into fighting games, bullet hell, racing. Just us no other players.

I looked at a few guides for PS4 couch co-op and these titles jumped out but the PS4 store has NO information! Screenshots, video, nothing. Anyone have any yea/nays on these?

Minecraft Dungeons
Outward
It Takes Two
Gauntlet: Slayer Edition
Divinity: Original Sin
Never Alone


I can recommend Gauntlet. It's essentially Arcade Gauntlet with an isometric view and way better graphics. It's challenging, but fun. And I love the quips from the elf. "Oh, I'm coming up against fancy enemies, better use my fancy arrows!"
Last edit: 26 Jan 2022 11:38 by Rliyen.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, Legomancer

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Jan 2022 12:31 #330146 by Legomancer
I should also point out that my wife is NOT a gamer, so anything that's going to require gamer reflexes and skill is just going to frustrate. What we like a lot about those Baldur's Gate games and Diablo is that you can largely just bulldoze through. Neither of us is terribly interested in finessing a million different attack tweaks or all that other bullshit that is so prevalent in current games.

We're dumb, old, and lazy. Something aimed at a teenage audience is probably not going to work well.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Jan 2022 13:25 #330148 by jeb
My recs can all still apply, maybe with the exception of SPELUNKY 2, if only because the activation energy for progress there is very high. My eldest is actually playing SPELUNKY 2 as a 20% project laid out over the semester. She's got a 13-week plan to beat Tiamat.

HELLDIVERS doesn't require any gamer magic and BROFORCE is way to chaotic for that to matter. It's about explosions BROOOOO!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Jan 2022 13:35 #330149 by Disgustipater

hotseatgames wrote: Also picked up Vampire Survivors on Steam, for $3.

I also picked this up and it’s fun to play for a session here and there. Garlic is a game-changer.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Jan 2022 13:52 - 26 Jan 2022 13:53 #330151 by Virabhadra
Broforce is a blast (Predabro!) but extremely chaotic with two players. We could barely keep track of what was happening.

I'm not a gamer by any stretch, so I think the last thing my girlfriend and I played together was an emulated version of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Turtles in Time. Hella fun tho.
Last edit: 26 Jan 2022 13:53 by Virabhadra.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Jan 2022 14:03 #330152 by hotseatgames

Disgustipater wrote:

hotseatgames wrote: Also picked up Vampire Survivors on Steam, for $3.

I also picked this up and it’s fun to play for a session here and there. Garlic is a game-changer.


Maxed out Garlic and Bible is like "just try to touch me mwuhahahahhhahahaa"
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Jan 2022 14:45 #330153 by dysjunct
It’s been a while, but my non-gamer wife really liked the various Lego games. Coop, mash buttons, funny, cute.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen, mezike

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Jan 2022 17:09 #330155 by mezike
We have a big box of Lego Dimensions here, it’s the best.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Jan 2022 13:53 #330181 by jason10mm
I was gonna recommend the Overcooked games to play with your wife but that would probably lead to divorce within SECONDS unless you stay in the untimed practice mode. My son and I scream at each other when we play it and not always in the best way.

Only Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime might be worth a look.

A suuuuper chill game is Donut County. It's one player but as a physics based puzzle game it allows for "group input" or handing the controller back and forth.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.511 seconds