October 09, 2023
2454 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2657 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What VIDEO GAME(s) have you been playing?

More
10 Feb 2023 04:36 - 10 Feb 2023 04:36 #338287 by san il defanso
I've been getting into Vampire Survivors as well. It's absurdly addictive. I got to lvl. 48 on one run, and as I unlock things and see how important it is to have upgraded weapons early on I am able to average a deeper run every time. It's one of those stupid/brilliant games.
Last edit: 10 Feb 2023 04:36 by san il defanso.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kmann

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Feb 2023 08:24 - 10 Feb 2023 08:42 #338288 by Ah_Pook
I picked up Slice and Dice on my phone, which is arun based tactical dice game. It's pretty much awesome. Each class in your party is represented by a custom die, and as you level up you change to different classes with weirder and better dice, and there's equipment that will change specific sides of dice and stuff like that. It's just real really fun.
Last edit: 10 Feb 2023 08:42 by Ah_Pook.
The following user(s) said Thank You: lj1983, san il defanso, hotseatgames

More
10 Feb 2023 10:29 #338290 by Gary Sax
I've been playing a total conversion mod to Europa Universalis 4 called Anbennar. It's an entirely original fantasy world based on the creator's dissertation. It has some off-brand real world elements, since it's based on EUIV and the mechanics in that game, but by and large it is a pretty cool achievement.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nodens

More
10 Feb 2023 10:45 #338291 by dysjunct
VS gets easier. You get a few unlocks, upgrade a few things, and learn what items combine with what (not just evolutions, but general synergies). It has a good challenge ramp. Always just a little hard to get the next thing.
The following user(s) said Thank You: lj1983

More
10 Feb 2023 14:06 #338292 by san il defanso

Ah_Pook wrote: I picked up Slice and Dice on my phone, which is arun based tactical dice game. It's pretty much awesome. Each class in your party is represented by a custom die, and as you level up you change to different classes with weirder and better dice, and there's equipment that will change specific sides of dice and stuff like that. It's just real really fun.

Can testify, this is a lot of fun. Definitely worth $7.

More
11 Feb 2023 00:35 #338293 by SuperflyPete
I finally did the 3 Mass Effect games. Very cool despite me not liking KotOR.

Then, Portal Knoghts with my kid for the 10th time through. Always fun.

Now, For the King, which is stupidly fun
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike

More
11 Feb 2023 22:42 #338299 by jason10mm
Starting the dive down the MAME arcade emulation rabbit hole and damn, it is a deep one. Once you start realizing that all the arcade games you loved back in the day and want to play now all had unique control schemes (Tron with the joystick and spinner, Assault with twin sticks with buttons, Star Wars with the yoke, Gauntlet with 4 players, Spy Hunter with a wheel and pedal) the "I want it ALL" control panel starts to look like something that could be used to play one of those Battletech sims they have at cons........hey now, can you get that software and use it at home....new rabbit hole, here we go!! :P
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames, sornars

More
12 Feb 2023 12:41 #338301 by hotseatgames

jason10mm wrote: Starting the dive down the MAME arcade emulation rabbit hole and damn, it is a deep one. Once you start realizing that all the arcade games you loved back in the day and want to play now all had unique control schemes (Tron with the joystick and spinner, Assault with twin sticks with buttons, Star Wars with the yoke, Gauntlet with 4 players, Spy Hunter with a wheel and pedal) the "I want it ALL" control panel starts to look like something that could be used to play one of those Battletech sims they have at cons........hey now, can you get that software and use it at home....new rabbit hole, here we go!! :P

I built a full-on MAME cabinet many years ago, and did a 4 player control panel, even going so far as to re-create the panel for Guantlet in Adobe Illustrator. I also made two of the joysticks standard, added an extra rotating 4-way joystick in the center (for Q-Bert and Donkey Kong) and the outside two joysticks were actually rotary sticks because I was determined to play Victory Road and Ikari Warriors as intended. They were a pain in the ass and overall not worth it. I would have been better off adding a trackball.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jason10mm, Virabhadra

More
13 Feb 2023 16:58 #338314 by BillyBobThwarton
Finished the campaign for WH40K Chaos Gate Daemonhunters on ruthless difficulty. I had such a great time that I have restarted on legendary difficulty.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dr. Mabuse

More
13 Feb 2023 17:48 #338315 by Gary Sax
Wow, I had a reasonably hard time until about the halfway point on the default difficulty!

More
27 Feb 2023 17:07 #338495 by birdman37
Dead cells, on the PS4. I very nearly rage-quit after the first few tries, but eventually I figured out how to dodge/block rather than button-mash, and things got better from there. (Yeah, I'm not very good at video games. :D )

Funnily enough: I only heard about it due to the recent BGG hotness of the soon-to-be-kickstarted board game of the same name. Not sure I'll bother with the board game - I mean, the main reason rogue-lite works as a genre in the video game world is because (aside from load screen waiting) there is ZERO tear-down/set-up between runs, and that surely cannot happen for a board game.

Still, I'm having fun on the console, so I'm grateful for that, at least. :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames, sornars, Dive-Dive-Dive!

More
28 Feb 2023 13:07 #338504 by RobertB
I finally got bored with Railway Empires. I got my money's worth, but it was mostly the same thing over and over again. Granted, it was a thing I liked, but everything in moderation, etc.

Then I dragged out Skyrim for the sixth or seventh time. Once again I got about 20 hours into it and got bored. Maybe open worlds that are that open (Fallout 3/4 as well) just aren't for me.

While I was playing Skyrim, I thought, "If I'm going to play a big open world game, why don't I play Witcher 3 again?" So I did. Its story is about as subtle as a shotgun blast, but unlike Skyrim it tells you what it is, and what you need to be doing to keep the plot moving.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gregarius

More
01 Mar 2023 10:52 #338519 by Gregarius
I've been going through Skyrim again as well, and had the same thought about Witcher 3.

Skyrim is like a comfy old sweatshirt; warm and reassuring, but maybe a little worn in some places. I've enjoyed finding stories I hadn't seen before, but the world is so huge. It seems clear that a player wasn't meant to do them all (at least, not in one playthrough), but I still feel compelled to try.

Unfortunately, I must've done something to break a couple of the threads, as I can't seem to progress them anymore. I probably did them in the wrong order or blocked one by completing another.

More
01 Mar 2023 11:53 #338520 by Jackwraith

RobertB wrote: Then I dragged out Skyrim for the sixth or seventh time. Once again I got about 20 hours into it and got bored. Maybe open worlds that are that open (Fallout 3/4 as well) just aren't for me.

This is where I am with WoW. I originally got back into it because I had friends that were still playing and were all geeked about Dragonflight, etc. But one of them got waylaid by another RPG that's taking all her time, one of them does nothing but raid with his guild, and another is swamped with real-life stuff that has kept him offline. So, I've spent the last three or four months, until recently, playing mostly by myself, outside of running dungeons with the LFG tool, which is precisely NOT what I wanted; hence, the "until recently" because I basically stopped playing two or three weeks ago and am probably not going back. It was fun while I leveled all my healers and a couple other toons, but now it's just doing the same stuff over and over and doing it alone in the MMORPG. The other complication is that I didn't realize that all of said friends play mostly Alliance, with Blizzard trumpeting the "war is (mostly) over" so you can actually play with your friends, cross-faction. But you still can't run dungeons or raids with them, which is mostly what I enjoy doing, so there went that. I tried logging on the other day and running one dungeon and it's kind of a bore and I'm just not interesting in doing rep grinds or the rather pedantic climb that professions have turned into.

We'll see what Diablo 4 has to offer when the beta starts at the end of this month.

More
01 Mar 2023 11:56 #338521 by hotseatgames
I am eagerly awaiting the Diablo IV beta.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nodens

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.535 seconds