October 09, 2023
2290 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2506 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What VIDEO GAME(s) have you been playing?

More
02 Jul 2015 10:40 #205259 by Sevej
Assassin Creed 2. I got back to this. The last time AC I played was Brotherhood, and man... this game is HUGE. 2 huge cities, 2 medium sized cities, and a small home city. I was really anxious to get to a new map in Brotherhood, which I never really got.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Jul 2015 02:17 #205322 by duckgoatwombat

Jackwraith wrote: Played two games on the new Diablo-themed map of Heroes of the Storm yesterday

I'm just getting into the game (new to the genre after bouncing off LoL) and love the new map layout but the immortals seem pretty lame in ability to push a lane whereas the spear thrower dudes are an amazing return on investment if you can keep the other team distracted.
As for people doing stupid things I can only laugh because I've done dumb shit. I was learning to play Nazeebo and trapped myself and my teammates multiple times in the same match. That was embarrassing but it was Vs AI (I don't bring my shit game to quickmatch) so I wasn't too worried. I've had it done to me too. As for characters The Butcher is quite a lot of fun to play especially on maps with lots of mercs as he solos like no other. I've found Diablo is great for learning when to engage as he can't do anything useful by himself. Next up I want to learn Murky or Abathur. I like that they offer a very different experience.

More
03 Jul 2015 12:57 #205350 by Disgustipater

Legomancer wrote: I have been "playing" the shit out of that free Fallout Shelter game on iPad. I say "playing" because there really isn't much to it, it's super easy, and you've seen about all it has to offer in a matter of minutes. Yet it's dumb fun. I reviewed it here .

A while ago my wife started playing a "tap and wait" game called Hay Day about farming and I continuously made fun of her for it. Then I tried Fallout Shelter when it was released and got hooked, then realized it was the exact same thing as her dumb game. Damn it.

I'm at the end game, and pretty much ready to be done with it. All the objectives are the same except the required number of whatever just goes up, so it's gotten boring. I have 110+ dwellers, all the rooms unlocked/built. My last goal is to level my best dweller up to max and send him out one last time to see if he gets anything good. Last time I sent him out for 3.5 days and he brought back garbage. Also, non-purchased Lunchboxes give you crap, so that kind of grates on me.

More
04 Jul 2015 08:59 #205379 by Legomancer

Disgustipater wrote: Also, non-purchased Lunchboxes give you crap, so that kind of grates on me.

This isn't my experience at all. I just got a dweller, Bittercup, out of a lunchbox, which is where I also got Three Dog's Outfit. I've only purchased one lunchbox and the big super special was 500 caps, like I can't just generate 500 caps in 2 minutes.

More
04 Jul 2015 12:40 #205382 by Disgustipater

Legomancer wrote: This isn't my experience at all. I just got a dweller, Bittercup, out of a lunchbox, which is where I also got Three Dog's Outfit. I've only purchased one lunchbox and the big super special was 500 caps, like I can't just generate 500 caps in 2 minutes.

500 caps out of a purchased one? That sucks. I haven't purchased any, but I have gotten 3 of the higher level dwellers, as well as a plasma rifle out of the 20 lunch boxes or so I've earned? Not the best return. I guess I just see people's screenshots online that they are all decked out in crazy outfits that I have never even come close to seeing.

More
05 Jul 2015 12:51 #205416 by Jackwraith

duckgoatwombat wrote: I'm just getting into the game (new to the genre after bouncing off LoL) and love the new map layout but the immortals seem pretty lame in ability to push a lane whereas the spear thrower dudes are an amazing return on investment if you can keep the other team distracted.

I think the Immortals grade up as the game moves along, so they're weak initially but get stronger as the heroes do. I'm betting that's a direct response to the snowball nature of Haunted Mines, where the golem is freaking awesome from the first run (although it also grades up) and anyone who gets a big one pretty much wins the game after 2 runs, regardless of what else happens. The reason I like the Diablo map so much is the same reason I dislike the Mines: it encourages player interaction in the center, as opposed to trying to coordinate action on two levels.

duckgoatwombat wrote: As for people doing stupid things I can only laugh because I've done dumb shit. I was learning to play Nazeebo and trapped myself and my teammates multiple times in the same match. That was embarrassing but it was Vs AI (I don't bring my shit game to quickmatch) so I wasn't too worried. I've had it done to me too.

Stupid shit I don't mind. I've done my share. What annoys me is the people who mute group chat and then just go do their own thing, regardless of what's happening on the board, in a game that emphasizes TEAMWORK.

duckgoatwombat wrote: As for characters The Butcher is quite a lot of fun to play especially on maps with lots of mercs as he solos like no other. I've found Diablo is great for learning when to engage as he can't do anything useful by himself. Next up I want to learn Murky or Abathur. I like that they offer a very different experience.

I'm aiming toward Murky or Azmodan with my next gold buy. Over the course of the game, I've picked up Raynor, Muradin, Malfurion (beginner's bundle at 66% off; my only cash drop until the other day), Valla (got her for pre-ordering the D3 expansion last year), Rehgar, Uther, Zagara, Arthas, Tyrael, and Li Li. All of them were 7K or less (Li Li is only 2K) and they just dropped Murky to 7K. I want to play him because he's just so weird. OTOH, I like the siege role and Azmodan is one of the best. I play Zagara pretty often for that reason and dropped $5 on the desert queen skin because it's so cool (and it was on sale; I'm not playing $10 for anything cosmetic.) I'm halfway to Murky in gold right now, so I could hold out a few days more for Azmodan or I could hold out for a couple weeks and pick up Leoric when he drops, since he looks Bad. Ass. and it would be cool to have another warrior. I suppose I should pick up an assassin at some point if I ever want to run quests with someone other than Raynor and Valla, both of whom I find fairly uninspiring. The Butcher is a possibility...
The following user(s) said Thank You: duckgoatwombat

More
06 Jul 2015 09:06 #205449 by Black Barney
still playing through Episode One of Telltale Games' GAME OF THRONES. The game is pretty stressful, not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing.

Getting dressed down by Cersei Lannister in the throne room because my family were Stark bannermen was super stressful. I have new found respect for Sansa for always defaulting to saying that Joffrey is her one true love and king. I couldn't bring myself to say that I would choose Joffrey over Margarey (I'm her handmaiden in the game). That didn't go well for me :(

Then as Ethan Forrester, 3rd son and new Lord of the house, i had to decide punishment for a thief who's family was starving and was inciting rebellion. Cut off his fingers, send him to the wall or show him mercy? I ended up sending him to the wall which basically dooms his now father-less family to starve.

Then as an exiled squire for House Forrester on my way to the wall, I came across Ramsay Snow flaying some poor soul alive. It was brutal.

Thematically, it's bang-on, you feel all the stress you feel watching the show (or reading the books, presumably). I'll finish up Episode One and then I'm debating on buying the entire season for only 20 bucks (it's 6 chapters!). This is good fun. I doubt I'll get the same emotional connection to the game that I did for Clementine with Lee but we'll see.

The cool thing will be if I get shocked by major character deaths just like in good Game of Thrones fashion.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Columbob

More
06 Jul 2015 11:24 #205466 by Columbob

Black Barney wrote: The cool thing will be if I get shocked by major character deaths just like in good Game of Thrones fashion.

Well, you did say "Thematically it's bang on", so expect the unexpected.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
06 Jul 2015 21:10 #205527 by duckgoatwombat

I think the Immortals grade up as the game moves along, so they're weak initially but get stronger as the heroes do.

Ahh. That makes more sense now. Thanks!

I'm aiming toward Murky or Azmodan with my next gold buy. Over the course of the game, I've picked up Raynor, Muradin, Malfurion (beginner's bundle at 66% off; my only cash drop until the other day), Valla (got her for pre-ordering the D3 expansion last year), Rehgar, Uther, Zagara, Arthas, Tyrael, and Li Li. All of them were 7K or less (Li Li is only 2K) and they just dropped Murky to 7K. I want to play him because he's just so weird. OTOH, I like the siege role and Azmodan is one of the best. I play Zagara pretty often for that reason and dropped $5 on the desert queen skin because it's so cool (and it was on sale; I'm not playing $10 for anything cosmetic.) I'm halfway to Murky in gold right now, so I could hold out a few days more for Azmodan or I could hold out for a couple weeks and pick up Leoric when he drops, since he looks Bad. Ass. and it would be cool to have another warrior. I suppose I should pick up an assassin at some point if I ever want to run quests with someone other than Raynor and Valla, both of whom I find fairly uninspiring. The Butcher is a possibility...

MY problem is that I don't like the Warcraft universe so I've been avoiding half the characters in the game. I've been trying the heroes that appeal and if I like them I buy them, preferably with gold. LiLi was boring as fuck to play and Rehgar wasn't too bad. Of course I'll take back all my mean words if they let me play as Peon.
Kerrigan was a lot of fun . I like Azmodan in theory but didn't actually enjoy playing him. Zagara is crazy good at pushing and is such a pain in the arse to play against. You're right about the desert queen skin. One of the best in the game. I'm not sure why I haven't gotten into the ranged assassins yet but I'll probably learn and buy one just to have that option available to me.

More
06 Jul 2015 22:09 #205534 by Jackwraith

duckgoatwombat wrote: MY problem is that I don't like the Warcraft universe so I've been avoiding half the characters in the game. I've been trying the heroes that appeal and if I like them I buy them, preferably with gold. LiLi was boring as fuck to play and Rehgar wasn't too bad. Of course I'll take back all my mean words if they let me play as Peon.
Kerrigan was a lot of fun . I like Azmodan in theory but didn't actually enjoy playing him. Zagara is crazy good at pushing and is such a pain in the arse to play against. You're right about the desert queen skin. One of the best in the game. I'm not sure why I haven't gotten into the ranged assassins yet but I'll probably learn and buy one just to have that option available to me.

See, I love Li Li. I know a lot of people complain about her because you can't target the brew, but the key is just to keep moving, healing, and blinding. She just has a huge buildup effect as long as you take advantage of those abilities as often as possible (and keep moving!) Cloud Serpent is next to useless, unfortunately. I take the same philosophy with Tyrael, who really can't tank like a regular warrior, but is brilliant at harassment and initiating fights that the enemies really don't want any of. The movement ability of El'Druin's Might is great for that. OTOH, he also basically has no Trait, since he moves so slowly that no one ever gets caught in his death explosion (to say nothing of it having no effect on the game until you die, which is generally bad in MOBAs.) Looks like Johanna is going on F2P tomorrow. Might give her a spin, as I'm pretty fond of my Crusader in D3.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.921 seconds