October 09, 2023
2444 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2645 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What MUSIC are you listening to?

More
16 Feb 2017 02:18 #244028 by Thrun
Skinny Puppy`? literally never heard of them as I get close to 50 yeas old
as for
Wumpscut, Haujobb, Leather Strip

i can only think of

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Mar 2017 00:03 - 29 Mar 2017 03:55 #245734 by Hadik
Creeper's Eternity, in Your Arms. I guess it's Horror Punk.. which was never a thing I was into. But I think this is the best album since Phoenix's Wolfgang Amadeus.

edited for spelling
Last edit: 29 Mar 2017 03:55 by Hadik.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead

More
29 Mar 2017 12:14 - 29 Mar 2017 12:15 #245758 by Matt Thrower
The Black Angels are my new current favourite band. I do like a bit of west coast acid rock. Droning guitars, big bass, thumping rhythm. For full effect, it's got to be driving and heavy, and that's where a lot of bands in the genre go wrong IMO. The Black Angels got it right.

Last edit: 29 Mar 2017 12:15 by Matt Thrower.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead

More
29 Mar 2017 13:11 #245761 by SuperflyPete
Been listening to Mr Bono Vox (U2) again, not only because their Joshua Tree album is fantastic, but it's also pretty simple to play on guitar. Also been re-introduced to the Traveling Wilburys. Huge Roy Orbison and Jeff Lynne fan....and I like George Harrison just fine too. I just wish Tom Petty wasn't in the band because I really don't like his voice. Or maybe just his accent.

More
19 Apr 2017 11:43 - 20 Apr 2017 11:28 #246750 by Mr. White
These tributes to the classic Street Fighter II tracks.
Some are much better than others, but all are fun to listen to. Familiar, yet new.

Early stand outs for me are the E Honda and Zangief scores.

Bandcamp if you wanna listen by track: 30thfloor.uk/album/synth-fighters

EDIT: Dhalsim's track is outstanding.
Last edit: 20 Apr 2017 11:28 by Mr. White.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jexik

More
19 Apr 2017 22:16 #246784 by Shellhead

Bojack wrote: Skinny Puppy`? literally never heard of them as I get close to 50 yeas old

Really? Skinny Puppy has been around since 1982, though I admit I didn't know of their existence until around 1990.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries

More
19 Apr 2017 22:27 #246785 by Shellhead

Hadik wrote: Creeper's Eternity, in Your Arms. I guess it's Horror Punk.. which was never a thing I was into. But I think this is the best album since Phoenix's Wolfgang Amadeus.

They call that sub-genre Psychobilly, This song sounds like watered down Tiger Army.

More
19 Apr 2017 22:30 #246786 by Shellhead
One of my favorite Tiger Army songs:

The following user(s) said Thank You: Hadik

More
19 Apr 2017 22:57 - 19 Apr 2017 22:58 #246788 by Cranberries
I just downloaded a bunch of stuff that I was listening to in grad school in Louisville, including Grandaddy, Clem Snide, Ben Folds, and Evan Dando. I thought I'd introduce my 17-year-old son to it, as he just discovered Nevermind on his own. But then I realized a lot of it is kind of depressing. I've mostly been listening to Tim Ferriss podcasts. Don't judge me. And Mitski.

Last edit: 19 Apr 2017 22:58 by Cranberries.

More
03 May 2017 10:20 #247668 by Jexik
Some weird facebook and Vice/Broadly hole led me to MF DOOM and Madvillain. Been listening to them a lot. I like CAKE, so I enjoy forced rhymes without melody, backed by some brass and other stuff, so I like it a surprising amount.

More
03 May 2017 11:03 #247678 by Michael Barnes
I like it when this thread comes back 'round to call.

My big listen right now is the new Jesus and Mary Chain record, "Damage and Joy". It is...fuckin' awesome. They haven't done a record in 18 years (Munki, which I bought the day it came out) and I'll be damned, they didn't miss a beat. It is 100% the classic Mary Chain sound, particularly their more scuzzy stun rock/Velvet Underground jag since they veered away from the glossier sleaze of "Automatic" and "Honey's Dead". The lead track, "Amputation", is as good as anything they've ever recorded. "Always Sad" is an instant Mary Chain classic. There are at least three other songs that stand up to anything off Psychocandy or Darklands.

I tend to forget sometimes that they are one of my favorite bands. Like, top ten. During the 90s, I saw them no less than six times. I went through a period where I all but worshipped Psychocandy. When I played guitar semi-seriously, I was always kind of chasing their "chainsaw in a hurricane" sound.

Many bands have come that have tried to capture their particular "thing" (Black Rebel Motorcycle Club and A Place to Bury Strangers come to mind) but nobody gets it just right like they do.

Really want to listen to some Yellow Magic Orchestra but nothing is on Spotify...

MFDoom and Madvillain are pretty great...Metalface is really into those dudes, I think.

More
03 May 2017 11:22 #247682 by barrowdown
My album focus at the moment is Kendrick Lamar's new album "DAMN.", which is just awesome. It's a step back in complexity from "Good Kid, M.A.A.D. City" and "To Pimp a Butterfly", but it just flows really well. The arrangements are a bit simpler as he embraces a bit of trap (Mike Will Made It produces three of the tracks, but his influence can be felt throughout), but the focus is very tight with very minimal distraction from each songs thesis. The three tracks by Mike Will Made It are the easiest standouts for me ("HUMBLE.", "DNA.", and "XXX.") as Kendrick is the most focused on his rapping on these songs, but pretty much everything is great with a lot of overall cohesion tying everything together.

It's probably not as "great" as GKMC or TPaB, but I think I might enjoy the overall album more.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jexik

More
03 May 2017 11:29 #247684 by Michael Barnes
I really need to listen to some Kendrick Lamar...he's kind of a Big Deal, and he seems like he may actually be the most important figure in hip hop today.

Apparently Bowie wanted to do something with him before he passed away.

More
03 May 2017 11:39 #247686 by barrowdown
Kendrick Lamar with Bowie would have probably been something to listen to.

Kendrick is kind of an oddity for a major hip hop star. The closest comparison would be Kanye, but Kanye's material always feels like a Kanye song. While Kanye certainly plays with a lot of styles and influences, it still sounds like Kanye. Kendrick morphs with his material, even changing his voice and flow to match whatever he is going for. It probably helps that he is a very talented rapper so his vision can always fall back on that. Listen to something like "The Blacker the Berry" and then "HUMBLE." and just how different his flow and sound are on each song.

As a counterpoint, my wife cannot stand Kendrick Lamar because of the base nasal quality in his voice. If he is not adopting a lower register or affecting a rasp for a song (such as "King Kunta"), she can't make it past that.

More
03 May 2017 12:10 #247698 by Jexik
Yeah, I find Kendrick's voice kind of annoying too, but I get over it when I can. My favorite cameo of his is from the lonely island boys though, haha.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.349 seconds