October 09, 2023
2218 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2437 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What MUSIC are you listening to?

More
02 Jul 2015 18:14 #205309 by Hex Sinister
70's rock is the shit. No need for guilt! 80's rock, one should feel guilt.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Jul 2015 09:23 #205340 by Black Barney
GENTICORUM - this traditional Quebec music group. Love them. Only got to see them live once so far since they seem to be perpetually touring the States
The following user(s) said Thank You: Columbob

More
03 Jul 2015 09:30 - 03 Jul 2015 11:07 #205343 by Mr. White
I was recently exposed to the Night Birds. Great, American punk band who remind me of the Circle Jerks, the Dickies and the like.

Anyway, they do a killer cover of John Carpenter's Escape From New York. Gonna have to use this as an intro to a BB team.

And a song about wrestler Mick Foley.
Last edit: 03 Jul 2015 11:07 by Mr. White.

More
03 Jul 2015 13:26 #205357 by Michael Barnes
What the hell does traditional Canadian music sound like Barney? "Tom Sawyer"?

More
03 Jul 2015 13:36 #205360 by Black Barney
Quebec, Cape Breton, Newfoundland and *gasp* Ottawa Valley traditional music all sound very much like irish traditional. Ottawa Valley adds clogging (which is awful), Cape Breton adds piano (which makes it sound wimpy, but still awesome), Quebec adds "podorythmie" which is basically one guy sitting down (while playing fiddle) stomping his foots in different rythmn to make the percussion (Cape Breton does something like this but it's not very loud and is only done to keep rythmn instead of actually adding percussion).

Rush is rock, as you know :)

More
03 Jul 2015 13:45 #205362 by OldHippy
I always dug the way that Daniel Lanois would play around with traditional Quebecois folk music.

The following user(s) said Thank You: iguanaDitty

More
03 Jul 2015 14:24 #205365 by Black Barney
To me that sounds like more of a splash of American folk in there. Really nice :)

More
09 Jul 2015 10:31 #205817 by Mr. White
More wrestling songs!

The Mountain Goats released a pro-wrestling concept album (Beat the Champ) and it's pretty good. I think there's a dud or two, but the material covered in the songs are all great. The old territories, illegal foreign objects, heel/face turns, etc. The album is all about John Darnielle's childhood as a fan of pro-wrestling so the subjects all pre-date the Hulk Hogans and Rocks.

Fun video for this one.

More
09 Jul 2015 12:12 #205849 by hotseatgames
Last night I went to Detroit to see Morrissey. His voice was amazing! He's still got it.

The set list.... well let's just say he only played a single Smiths song. Disappointed. But hey, I've now seen him.

More
09 Jul 2015 12:33 #205851 by Michael Barnes
I saw him at Radio City Music Hall on the You Are the Quarry tour...it felt like going to see Frank Sinatra or something. Maybe because Nancy Sinatra was there, I dunno.

It was pretty awesome...last song was "There is a Light That Never Goes Out", he got miffed about something and stormed off stage. Perfect closer.

More
09 Jul 2015 13:45 #205868 by hotseatgames
The Smiths song he pulled out for me was "Stop me if you think you've heard this one before." It was great.

More
10 Jul 2015 16:25 #205972 by Columbob

Black Barney wrote: GENTICORUM - this traditional Quebec music group. Love them. Only got to see them live once so far since they seem to be perpetually touring the States

Guess what : Pascal Gemme's my cousin.

I'm glad they manage to keep going despite Alex's departure.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
11 Jul 2015 11:43 #206003 by Black Barney
the flutist left?? Oh no :(

Pascal is the fiddler, yeah? He's so insanely talented, it's crazy. It's funny cuz he looks like a such a gamer. My little girl and I got to meet him at La Grande Rencontre, very cool guy.

More
13 Jul 2015 10:10 #206156 by Columbob

Black Barney wrote: the flutist left?? Oh no :(

Pascal is the fiddler, yeah? He's so insanely talented, it's crazy. It's funny cuz he looks like a such a gamer. My little girl and I got to meet him at La Grande Rencontre, very cool guy.

I thought he left last year-ish or 2013 - touring isn't that great when you're building a family and with baby 2 on the way, he had a choice to make. But I think it might have been a temporary thing, 'cause their website still lists him. He might have been replaced for some shows, while still maintaining his presence in the band. That trio have something going on and a little hiatus might have been necessary to keep it going. Maybe there's more info on their FB page.

Yeah, that's Pascal. Gamer - not really, not boardgames at least. He bought the first Nintendo of the whole family back in the day with money from his job wrapping groceries, so vidja games were a big thing back then when we went to visit, not too sure nowadays. Last time I saw him was for our aunt's funeral 2 years ago, where he busted out the fiddle at the get-together after. He's often on the road, so misses out on some of the family reunions. Big gatherings with all the cousins are a rare thing nowadays anyways.

My kids love this music too and often request it in the car, at least the pieces with singing - not so much instrumentals. Le Reel circulaire is awesome however, check it out on Youtube.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
13 Jul 2015 14:16 #206172 by Black Barney
nono, I'm not saying he's a gamer, I'm saying he LOOKS like one. Not a compliment.

I think Alex was playing with them at La Grande Rencontre when I saw them. Those guys tour all the time.

That's awesome that your kids request that music. I force Emily to listen to this stuff all the time (I prefer the instrumentals by far, but some of the songs are really good).

Yeah, everyone goes ga-ga for Le Reel Circulaire (by far their most popular tune), but I'm not blown away by it. The fact that your cousin wrote most of the instrumentals is incredible.

My favourite is the Finno-Gaspesienne...

love the pick-up at 3:43 where just Pascal and Alex are playing

wish I could see the foots :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Columbob

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.426 seconds