October 09, 2023
2451 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2654 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What MUSIC are you listening to?

More
30 May 2018 15:51 #274299 by Shellhead
By coincidence, I was binge-watching American Horror Story: Coven recently, and there was a scene where a frat boy was getting mocked by his frat brothers for being a Toto fan.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 May 2018 16:38 #274301 by WadeMonnig
2018 : Where Weezer will be trending on YouTube doing a cover of "Africa" by Toto.
I put that up there with Anthrax trending doing a cover of "Wayward Son" by Kansas.

More
02 Jun 2018 00:50 #274498 by Shellhead
This is not my favorite song by The Regrettes, but the instruments they use on this song are killing me. In a good way:

The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
02 Jun 2018 01:10 #274499 by JMcL63
Turning to my embarrassing teenage tastes for some mellow prog.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Colorcrayons

More
02 Jun 2018 12:22 #274526 by Black Barney
Shell, the hot chick should really lose the percussion so she can concentrate on the singing. She’s clearly distracted and half her notes are falling flat

Love the drummer :)

More
02 Jun 2018 14:25 #274531 by engineer Al
Just finished reading TROUBLED BOYS about the rise and fall of The Replacements. I've been listening to nothing but The Replacements including the amazing recent "Live at Maxwell's" release recorded in 1986. Found this GEM of a video on YouTube:

The following user(s) said Thank You: BaronDonut

More
02 Jun 2018 14:39 #274533 by Shellhead
I moved back to the Twin Cities a few years after The Replacements were done, but got exposed to their music anyway. Some of the local stations still play their hits, and Paul Westerberg was still active. They had plenty of talent, but the heavy drinking made their shows a crapshoot.

More
02 Jun 2018 20:15 #274541 by SuperflyPete
I’ve been listening nonstop to Postmodern Jukebox and Scary Pockets.

Holy shit these folks have a niche that has become my favorite thing.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Colorcrayons

More
03 Jun 2018 09:27 #274551 by Shellhead
I'm a fan of Postmodern Jukebox, but haven't heard of Scary Pockets until just now. Have you tried Nouvelle Vague?

More
03 Jun 2018 09:54 #274553 by BaronDonut

engineer Al wrote: Just finished reading TROUBLED BOYS about the rise and fall of The Replacements. I've been listening to nothing but The Replacements including the amazing recent "Live at Maxwell's" release recorded in 1986. Found this GEM of a video on YouTube:

Fantastic book about maybe the best band. I recently revisited their whole catalog and man, even their worst albums have so much good stuff on them. And the best just can’t be topped.

I was recently on my friends’ podcast talking about the Mats, if anyone’s idea of a good time is listening to three people fawn like teenagers over a band for two hours: desertislanddiscourse.com/podcast/episode-44-the-replacements/

Also been digging the I Don’t Cares, Westerberg’s recentish collab with Juliana Hatfield. It’s low stakes but consistently pleasing—their voices are just perfect together.

More
03 Jun 2018 16:18 #274578 by engineer Al

BaronDonut wrote: Also been digging the I Don’t Cares, Westerberg’s recentish collab with Juliana Hatfield. It’s low stakes but consistently pleasing—their voices are just perfect together.

Dammit, I had passed on this because I was growing bored of the Westerberg solo stuff. It was hard to resist since I am a fan of JH as well. You just pushed my Amazon button. I'll let you know what I think. . .

More
03 Jun 2018 16:47 #274579 by Shellhead

Black Barney wrote: Shell, the hot chick should really lose the percussion so she can concentrate on the singing. She’s clearly distracted and half her notes are falling flat

Love the drummer :)

She is only 17, so I expect she will get even better.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
03 Jun 2018 16:49 #274580 by Shellhead
Westerberg did a great duet with Joan Jett many years ago:

The following user(s) said Thank You: engineer Al

More
03 Jun 2018 22:57 #274605 by SuperflyPete

Shellhead wrote: I'm a fan of Postmodern Jukebox, but haven't heard of Scary Pockets until just now. Have you tried Nouvelle Vague?

Yeah, I know them. They did Too Drunk To Fuck and it was definitely different. Not a super fan because I’m not too into the new wave sound all that much.

Weird coincidence: I met a Postmodern Jukebox band member (Ryan, guitarist) whose g/f is Emanuelle (Singer) at Guitar Center on Saturday (perhaps 12 hours after learning about the band and 6 hours after posting this)

More
06 Jun 2018 10:59 - 06 Jun 2018 11:31 #274809 by Matt Thrower
I know no-one's going to bite on this with your punk and metal and all that jazz, but I've been listening to Declan O'Rourke's concept album Chronicles of the Great Irish Famine and, oh lord, it's just got me in bits. I had to stop spinning it because it was too upsetting.

I first found it when this turned up on my weekly discovery list of suggested music

The whole album was inspired by a story he read of a young couple found dead by the roadside at the height of the famine. The man was holding his wife's feet to his chest as if in a forlorn attempt to warm them up. And, huddled together like that, they sat down and starved to death. That resulted in this song.

The rest of the record is just as sadly beautiful, full of mournful fiddle and little lyrical knives. Of the emigrants who washed up in North America riddled with poverty and starvation and disease he sings "they are more like ghosts than living things".

It makes me ashamed to be English. People talk about Nazis and Communists as the great evils of modern history, but it turns out that laissez fare capitalism also killed millions of people and caused untold suffering which we whitewash away in the name of "progress".
Last edit: 06 Jun 2018 11:31 by Matt Thrower.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Not Sure, Colorcrayons

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.285 seconds