October 09, 2023
2295 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2511 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What MUSIC are you listening to?

More
17 Jun 2018 21:01 #275647 by san il defanso
I thought I'd do my annual check-in into the music thread to share whatever music has been speaking to me lately.

The Decemberists - I'll Be Your Girl: As you may see through this post there are a number of albums that have served as soundtracks for my move overseas. This is the first one, by virtue of the fact that it came out a week before we left. I liked it a lot when I first heard it, and I've returned to it now and then. However I have cooled on it just a little since my early enthusiasm. My opinion has shifted from "maybe one of their best" to "a pretty average Decemberists album." There's a lot of electronic noodling on it, and I do like that in principle, but it's started to feel a little gimmicky to me after some exposure. There are also two really chirpy songs with super dark lyrics in the back half ("Everything Is Awful" and "We All Die Young") that have grown a little thin now that I've listened to them for a while. There are lots of really great songs though, like "Severed," "Your Ghost," and "Rusalka, Rusalka". I do like it, but I think I prefer the more organic approach of the two previous albums. I think Josh Look likes it a lot more though, he should chime in and share his opinion.

Jack White - Boarding House Reach: I know for a fact that this album does not work for a lot of people, and I cannot blame them. This is the sound of an artist screwing around, and sort of accidentally finding songs. That said, it has kind of had the opposite arc of I'll Be Your Girl. My first impressions were a little cool, but because I am inclined to dig into any Jack White album, I have now started to think it might be the most compelling solo album he's done. True, there are only like five songs that would have made it onto another album of his, songs that have words and hooks and things like that. But there are a lot of weird instrumental moments, like "Corporation," that kind of come together to make the album more than the sum of its parts. There's even some spoken word stuff in there, which is not my favorite but imparts that sense of a crazy man alone in a shack somewhere. It's not a bad look for Jack White, who gives off that vibe in the first place. He just sounds more engaged and like he's enjoying himself more, even if the results are not always as listenable as his first two solo albums or anything by the White Stripes. I had worried this would go the way of Arcade Fire's Everything Now, but it has actually gone up in my estimation with more exposure.

Hamilton - Original Cast Recording: Since I did a lot of acting in high school and college, I have always been a little wary of the cliche of the drama nerd who listens to original cast recordings. But if there has been one album that has been my soundtrack lately, it has been the Hamilton cast recording. I don't know why precisely I got into it when I did, a full two and a half years after everyone else became a fan. But something about this has really resonated with me right now. Maybe it's the sense of purpose from accepting a new position overseas and feeling very aware that this is an opportunity to make an impact in my context (not throwing away my shot, as it were), or maybe it's a reminder of the good parts of the US while I'm adjusting to another culture. I am sure at least part of it is the subtle thread throughout that pitches the whole "states rights" movement as a product of southern slaveholders, and casts those people as the antagonists, a satisfying narrative for this midwestern liberal in the current American climate. Regardless, it helps that there is a huge variety of music on the soundtrack, all well done. More than that, since this is almost entirely music, the cast recording contains pretty much the whole show in audio form, giving a strong sense of the characters, themes, and plot. For whatever reason, it has been a very meaningful album to me at this point in my life, and I think it might become one of those emotional favorites in years to come.

The following user(s) said Thank You: dysjunct, Jexik

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Jun 2018 20:04 #276295 by Frohike
I just cannot stop listening to this album. She wields sincerity like a sword, and it cuts... really deep. First album I've been disarmed by in awhile.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, Jexik, Colorcrayons

More
26 Jun 2018 22:37 #276306 by Shellhead
Thanks for posting that Snail Mail song. I caught the second half of that song when I turned on the radio yesterday. I remembered the line about how it feels like the same party every weekend.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike

More
27 Jun 2018 14:48 #276395 by SuperflyPete
itunes.apple.com/us/album/26-hour-day-li...13675305?i=513675384

Guy sounds like Jason Mraz and writes like Woody Guthrie

More
13 Jul 2018 10:49 #277449 by Michael Barnes
Listening to Public Image Ltd all day because I just bought tickets to see them here in Atlanta October 10th. So freaking excited.
The following user(s) said Thank You: allismom3, Jexik, Colorcrayons

More
13 Jul 2018 11:39 - 13 Jul 2018 12:27 #277454 by Jexik

Frohike wrote: I just cannot stop listening to this album. She wields sincerity like a sword, and it cuts... really deep. First album I've been disarmed by in awhile.

This is the kind of thing I think I'd like but my wife will mock me or roll her eyes if she finds me listening to. She just doesn't like non-aggressive guitars + female voices from white faces.* So no Sleater Kinney, Best Coast, Courtney Barnes, Metric, Tegan and Sera, etc. around her. She's got no problem with effeminate dudes** though - Queen and Dir en Grey top her favorite bands list. She is OK with Blood Red Shoes for some reason though, and pretty meh on the Yeah Yeah Yeahs.

*Haven't really thought about it much until now but it might be because white girls bullied her in middle school and she doesn't have a ton of patience for "weird" women with guitars feeling bad and introspective. She has had a lot of pain and struggles in her life, usually not caused by herself.

**Yeah, there's probably a joke here.
Last edit: 13 Jul 2018 12:27 by Jexik.

More
15 Jul 2018 09:46 - 15 Jul 2018 09:48 #277578 by Jexik
How have I gone my whole life without hearing this?!

I was a white, surburban, kindergartner but still!

Anyone have any favorite country or folk albums? older, classic ones?

I feel like giving my son a wide appreciation of music is important to understanding other people and cultures. But neither my wife or I really like country at all, especially the more recent Bud Light down an old dirt road garbage.
Last edit: 15 Jul 2018 09:48 by Jexik.

More
17 Jul 2018 09:26 #277751 by xthexlo
I’ve fairly recently discovered Dutch singer Caro Emerald. While I love her poppy, retro-ish cabaret style, I found her acoustic “Paris” to be absolutely enthralling.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, Jexik, BillyBobThwarton

More
19 Jul 2018 10:32 - 19 Jul 2018 10:37 #277900 by Jexik
As a 90s kid, this new song hits and definitely feels pumpkinsy.

William Corgan looks like Uncle Fester meets Powder though.
Last edit: 19 Jul 2018 10:37 by Jexik.
The following user(s) said Thank You: BillyBobThwarton

More
21 Jul 2018 15:57 #278059 by SuperflyPete

jay718 wrote:

SuperflyTNT wrote:

Michael Barnes wrote: King Diamond > John Mayer

At this point it’s clear you’re trolling.

There's not a chance that John Mayer has an album as good as Abigail under his belt. He's obviously a gifted guitar player, but his original music stinks.

To end this once and for all, I give you Eric Clapton saying John Mayer is a MASTER.

More
21 Jul 2018 16:19 #278060 by Colorcrayons

SuperflyTNT wrote:

jay718 wrote:

SuperflyTNT wrote:

Michael Barnes wrote: King Diamond > John Mayer

At this point it’s clear you’re trolling.

There's not a chance that John Mayer has an album as good as Abigail under his belt. He's obviously a gifted guitar player, but his original music stinks.

To end this once and for all, I give you Eric Clapton saying John Mayer is a MASTER.

Huh. I used to beleive Clapton wasn't retarded. I guess the 60's drug use has finally surfaced in a notable fashion.

There is no way Mayer will ever be remembered as having the same impact on music as Abigail.

Abigail is a veritable masterpiece of rock composition. Not subjectively, but objectively. Read the sheet music. From paper to ear it's just this side of Mozart level genius.

Mayer is talented, but that talent has yet to surface to the same degree as King Diamond's Abigail.
This isn't about potential. This is about reality.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Barnes, jay718, Black Barney

More
21 Jul 2018 21:31 #278098 by SuperflyPete
You guys kill me.

Citing a 1978 album that spawned horror metal and created an entire genre of “metal storytelling” and comparing it to a 2000 pop singer is retarded.

That’s like saying “Mozart was an influential prodigy so Wagner sucks”. What kind of retarded comparison is that?

The issue isn’t “OMG ABIGAIL IS BETTER THAN JOHN MAYER” it’s “John Mayer is a bad ass guitar virtuoso.” Which is an objective fact.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
21 Jul 2018 22:19 - 21 Jul 2018 22:19 #278105 by Colorcrayons

SuperflyTNT wrote: That’s like saying “Mozart was an influential prodigy so Wagner sucks”.

Actually, it's not like that at all.

SuperflyTNT wrote: What kind of retarded comparison is that?

I dunno. You're making the comparison that's retarded, so you explain the reasoning to us.
Last edit: 21 Jul 2018 22:19 by Colorcrayons.

More
21 Jul 2018 23:00 - 22 Jul 2018 00:38 #278107 by SuperflyPete

Colorcrayons wrote:

SuperflyTNT wrote: That’s like saying “Mozart was an influential prodigy so Wagner sucks”.

Actually, it's not like that at all.

SuperflyTNT wrote: What kind of retarded comparison is that?

I dunno. You're making the comparison that's retarded, so you explain the reasoning to us.

Wagner and Mozart were separated by decades.

Mozart composed individual pieces and suites, and though he did dramas, Wagner os most known for operas. Different scope, different times. Your boys are trendsetters and visionaries, Mayer is simply an ultra talented bluesman, and while he is mostly known for pop, he does all kinds of things. He’s with the Dead (remaining) now. He’s done pop. He’s done blues. Both incredible in their own right, just different.
Last edit: 22 Jul 2018 00:38 by SuperflyPete.

More
22 Jul 2018 10:18 #278121 by Black Barney
Never thought I’d see a cool discussion around John Mayer. I love this place. You’re both making great arguments

It’s important to highlight that Pete’s evaluating Mayer simply on his guitar ability, which is totally fair. I realize it’s hard not to think of everything else about him when evaluating anything about him. I mean my evaluation of his hair would be influenced by my thoughts of him as a person

He was in Montreal cohosting a Just for Laughs gala, weird. Seeing him on HQ the other day was weird too. I wonder why he’s branching like that

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.390 seconds