October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2507 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What MUSIC are you listening to?

More
15 Jan 2019 16:26 #290055 by jeb
I have a couple of Pandora stations. I'm doing a lot of coding right now at work, so I can't have lyrics bugging me overly. This Chillout Electronica station is getting lots of play:

www.pandora.com/station/play/1245317705933986162

Very good if you like breaks, beats, shoegazing, jazzy whatever noises.

When I can handle lyrics, it's throwback hiphop time:

www.pandora.com/station/play/94824197879175538

Basically, it's an A Tribe Called Quest era station. Bits of Wu-Tang, Public Enemy, some one-offs.

I really miss WFNX, which was the best alt-rock station that ever existed. I try to match those ideas with this one:

www.pandora.com/station/play/94660396416440690

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Jan 2019 04:32 #290848 by Matt Thrower
Caught this band on this late night music show just before all the holiday tunes kicked in.

Since I've been back under headphones, I've had the chance to check out some more material. There's not a lot - they're still very young - but I really like most of it.

I'm not really sure what makes it so compelling. On the surface it's just another modern alt-rock band but there's something about those deep vocals, driving rhythms and stop-start sequences that just works really well.

More
29 Jan 2019 08:06 #290853 by SuperflyPete
I’m on a massive Tenacious D kick.

More
19 Feb 2019 17:26 - 19 Feb 2019 18:03 #292637 by Ancient_of_MuMu
This story is so funny that I have to share it here.

About a month ago I was out on a date with my girlfriend and after dinner we were wandering the streets and picked a random bar to go into. There was music playing, 4 bands, free entry, and the 3rd band was someone I had seen as a support act earlier and wanted to check them out again, so we went to watch the bands play.

We just caught the last song of the first act and they rocked so happily stayed. And then the second act "Infraghosts" came on and me and my girlfriend were just thinking WTF. It was someone with far more ambition than talent, but you had to just admire the verve of someone just putting everything out there. She was a trans gender performer in a catsuit with a bondage harness, who couldn't sing, couldn't dance, had a weird video show projected behind her (powered by her phone that kept locking up, so she kept having to stop performing mid song to unlock the phone and restart the video). But weirdly the music was quite good (a bit like New Order), and it took me a while to convince my girlfriend that it was original as everything else was so bad that my girlfriend assumed that she was droning in her bad monotone over other peoples songs.

And then after she finished she announced that she had a merchandise stand in a briefcase if anyone wanted to buy anything after the show. It was all just so out there, as though she looked at what a top act had and decided to recreate everything they have. I was too intimidated to look at the merchandise as I didn't want to engage with Infraghosts as I had no idea where that might go, but was intrigued. So the next day I looked up Infraghosts online to check out the merch, and to my surprise it was cassettes of her music (normal) and engraved kitchen knives (WTF).

So since that night Infraghosts has been a running joke between me and my girlfriend, occasionally singing lyrics and mentioning the knives. On Sunday my girlfriend found out about a couple of concerts that she really wanted to go to but had sold out, and I was joking and told her that we just needed to become Infraghosts superfans because then we will never have any difficulty getting tickets for the concerts we want to go to. And the next morning while half asleep, I thought, well her birthday is coming up in a couple of months, I am going to get her an Infraghosts knife and bought one online, and then because it was early promptly forgot that I had done so.

So I got home yesterday and my daughter said to me "Your merch has arrived", and because i had forgotten about it, had no idea what she she was talking about. "You know. Infraghosts. She was here. She asked for you, I said you weren't home. I told her that you said Infraghosts was cool, and she left this package". And there was a package with a gift wrapped knife and a hand written note explaining that she had hand crafted these as a promo to send to radio stations with her music, and that there was one left over so she put it on the merchandise page.

So it turns out that I am the first and last and only person to have ever bought an Infraghosts knife. So happy to see a 'sold out' notice on the website. And now I have to wait months before telling my girlfriend, which is agony, as she is the one who will truly appreciate the fact that Infraghosts came to my house and how unique the knife is.

And as much as I laugh at Infraghosts, I am reminded that there is some real talent there. She just needs to get someone else to sing, dance, etc, and just leave herself to creating the music.

Attachments:
Last edit: 19 Feb 2019 18:03 by Ancient_of_MuMu.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Shellhead, jeb, jay718, Jackwraith, sornars, Nodens, BillyBobThwarton, WadeMonnig, mc, Ah_Pook

More
19 Feb 2019 19:33 #292658 by Shellhead
Can't top that story, so I will just post an old song that I accidentally stumbled across while poking around YouTube. Should have been a classic:

More
19 Feb 2019 23:57 #292689 by mc
Replied by mc on topic What MUSIC are you listening to?
Why haven't I looked in here before? Grindcore (was never actually a huge fan, but I once paid a gold coin - $2 - to see 40 bands I'm a warehouse, about 29 of them were Grindcore, so if anyone has that review of the person going to the gig without knowing, yeah, would love to read), Tribe focused radio station, hell yeah, CJ Ramone, Infraghosts.... great stuff.

I myself have been listening to Quantic/Flowering Inferno. That's as up to date as I have been for a long time in terms of contemporary stuff. It's a combination of old sounds, in cumbia and reggae, but there's not much out there putting those things together and it pulls it all off.

More
20 Feb 2019 01:03 #292690 by Shellhead
Quantic is pretty awesome alone:

The following user(s) said Thank You: mc

More
05 Mar 2019 22:02 - 06 Mar 2019 08:34 #293443 by Gary Sax
I've been listening to Mount Eerie's 2017 album "A Crow Looked at Me" and it is literally the saddest piece of media of any type I've ever consumed. And extremely good.
Last edit: 06 Mar 2019 08:34 by Gary Sax.
The following user(s) said Thank You: BillyBobThwarton

More
21 Mar 2019 16:22 - 21 Mar 2019 16:22 #294208 by Ah_Pook
I don't listen to much of my giant pile of experimental stuff these days. I was real into this stuff for a long time but it's not where I'm at mentally much these days. But I dug up The Monstrous Soul by Lustmord the other day to listen to while playing a bunch of solo Arkham Horror and it's still pretty good if you like that kinda thing

I think The Place Where The Black Stars Hang is probably a better album on the whole, but this ones got a real solid vibe.
Last edit: 21 Mar 2019 16:22 by Ah_Pook.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead

More
21 Mar 2019 16:58 #294210 by Michael Barnes
Have you heard Heresy? That and PWBSH are the best Lustmord records by far.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ah_Pook

More
22 Mar 2019 20:05 - 22 Mar 2019 20:06 #294304 by Ah_Pook
Yeah heresy is real good too. I had that and a couple more back in days of yore, but I only actually have copies of Monstrous soul and pwtbsh any more. I have culled my music collection pretty ruthlessly over the years, going from probably 4000 CDs down to maybe 700 and a lot of stuff got pared back to representative works yknow. Probably should have just axed it all when anyone still gave a fuck about CDs and gone full digital, but I couldnt get myself to pull that particular trigger.
Last edit: 22 Mar 2019 20:06 by Ah_Pook.

More
04 May 2019 08:45 #296497 by Jexik
This was suggested to me on Youtube. I like it. You may recognize the rapper from some early 2000s Gorillaz songs that he was featured on.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Ah_Pook

More
04 May 2019 09:40 #296500 by Ah_Pook
Man youre taking me back to college with that one. Deltron and Cannibal Ox all day.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Jexik

More
04 May 2019 10:23 #296501 by Jackwraith
@Jexik: One of the best albums of this century and still largely unheralded. If you like the first, you'll like the sequel: Event II.

More
04 May 2019 11:09 - 04 May 2019 11:10 #296505 by Michael Barnes
What y’all know about “Iron Galaxy”!

How about Anti-Pop Consortium, Company Flow, Dalek, Aesop Rock, Kool Keith...I was managing a Wherehouse Music when all of that was going on...we used to listen to that stuff on the in-store all the time while selling customers The Hot Boys, Juvenile, and Sisqo.
Last edit: 04 May 2019 11:10 by Michael Barnes.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.273 seconds