October 09, 2023
2218 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2438 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What MUSIC are you listening to?

More
07 Nov 2022 14:59 #336673 by BillyBobThwarton
Low albums were always a must buy for me after Trust came along. I was to see them perform in Houston around '05 or '06 and found out that the show was cancelled right as I was leaving my apartment. After Ones and Sixes came out in 2015, they went through Houston on a Monday night. I had childcare lined up so that my wife and I could attend. When she got held up at work, I initially felt a bit guilty attending solo, but the performance washed that away. For reasons that baffle me, the venue was this strange small space attached to a "record store" that more resembled a vinyl garage sale tucked in a warehouse north of downtown. Maybe 100 people were there, and I stood there leaning against a metal beam feet away from a stage barely elevated off the floor. Everyone spoke in hushed tones when they weren't playing, and there was revenant silence for the music. There were several moments of utter beauty.

We go hiking in Estes Park CO most summers. My flu equivalent altitude sickness really makes these hikes a struggle, though I do my best to hide it from my wife for fear of ruining her vacation. On the last day of hiking this summer, I felt so awful as we pulled into the trailhead. I then threw on some earphones and played 2001's Things We Lost in the Fire. All the discomfort faded away as the music matched the visuals.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Nov 2022 15:57 #336676 by fightcitymayor

BillyBobThwarton wrote: On the last day of hiking this summer, I felt so awful as we pulled into the trailhead. I then threw on some earphones and played 2001's Things We Lost in the Fire. All the discomfort faded away as the music matched the visuals.

Things We Lost In The Fire is a really great album.

It feels like the next big nostalgia trip will be a lot of that Bush-years indie-rock, sadcore, dream-pop, flannel rock that was everywhere in the 2000's. Not the Strokes/Interpol/Arcade Fire stuff but the Low/Fleet Foxes/Shins/Iron&Wine stuff.

More
30 Nov 2022 16:05 #337134 by Shellhead
My favorite Low song is Just Like Christmas. I worked retail for a few years when I was young, and then later worked a non-retail job that was in the Mall of America. So I am pretty sick of all the mainstream Christmas songs, but enjoy songs like this that capture the right spirit without being too familiar. One of my current guilty pleasure tv shows is The Sex Lives of College Girls (HBO), and they ended this week's episode with Just Like Christmas and I suddenly felt better about the show and life and everything. A good song can do that for me. One of the showrunners likely picked the song in honor of Mimi Parker.

Christine McVie died today. I didn't appreciate Fleetwood Mac enough back during their peak in the '70s, but I will definitely be listening to Rumours tonight.

More
20 Dec 2022 12:22 #337535 by Shellhead
This song has been intermittently stuck in my head for days now, because it really captures my feeling about a fresh snowfall around the holidays:

More
08 Feb 2023 21:03 #338267 by Ancient_of_MuMu
So Fred Again..

I discovered Fred Again by accident 6 months ago, and thought his stuff was decent but it has slowly grown on me and now I regard him as the one of most important musicians of the last decade. He is sort of like the second coming of Fatboy Slim, but more important and more profound, and in some ways better as the songs work just as well as a quiet bedroom groove as during wild partying. The Actual Life albums are recordings of conversations he had and conversational clips he found on the web put to music and tell a story of his life over several months. I have a suspicion something really special is happening with him, and his Actual Life trilogy (particularly Actual Life 1 with its story of love and loss) will be up there in those lists of top albums of all time 20 years from now. Or maybe I am wrong and he will vanish away ...

I wouldn't say "We've Lost Dancing" is anywhere near his best song, but it is a good introduction to his style of working conversation into song
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nodens

More
09 Feb 2023 13:33 #338281 by Nodens
The kids are alright:

More
30 Aug 2023 16:55 #340385 by Virabhadra
I saw The Melvins and Boris in Petaluma last night with my partner. My first time seeing either act (though a longtime fan of Boris), and th energy level of both sets was incredible. I was very proud to be in front row wearing my t-shirt with the Japanese cover art for MAGIC REALM that I bought from the Emperors of Eternal Evil webstore.

More
30 Aug 2023 17:17 #340386 by Shellhead
The Melvins are still together? Did they play Hooch?

I had to search to find an image of that Japanese version of Magic Realm shirt. I keep forgetting that I can get a t-shirt of almost anything from Sticker Mule if I send them a scan.

More
30 Aug 2023 18:50 #340390 by Virabhadra
I didn't think to post it since it's out of stock.

store.cave-evil.com/collections/shirts/p...riant=39881460973654

I wish they had made it with a yellow shirt as well.

Melvins' opening number was a crowd sing-along to the first chorus of Take on Me (a-ha) and they did all of Bullhead + extras. No Hooch, but I can cross off seeing Honeybucket live on my bucket list.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.229 seconds