October 09, 2023
2448 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2648 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What TV SHOWS are you watching?

More
08 Sep 2015 09:33 #210153 by Shellhead
Undeclared was another one of those tragic shows that got canceled without even getting a full first season. It did a great job of portraying life in a college dorm, though the humor was uneven at first. Surprising number of big names did guest shots on the show, including Adam Sandler, Amy Poehler, Will Farrell, Ben Stiller. Judd Apatow also brought back several cast members from Freaks & Geeks for guest shots and cameos. Thanks to watching several seasons of How I Met Your Mother, I actually recognized Jason Segel's voice on the phone in the first episode. And even Tom Welling was in the pilot episode, shortly before he got cast as the star of Smallville. As Apatow noted in the commentary track, everybody on the set knew that Welling was going to be a big star, but they just didn't have an ongoing role for him on Undeclared.

I actually saw most of these episodes back when they aired in 2001 and 2002, and I vaguely remembered really liking the characters. Seeing it again, I now recognize that it was a well-written show that was very insightful about the college experience. It's a shame that a show like this didn't get a fair shake from Fox, while ordinary crap like Everybody Loves Raymond managed to continue season after season after season. At least Apatow went on to do well with movies.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Sep 2015 12:19 #210170 by Gary Sax
...and Jax Teller is in it as the cool kid from Britain?

More
08 Sep 2015 12:50 #210173 by Shellhead

Gary Sax wrote: ...and Jax Teller is in it as the cool kid from Britain?

True. He looked so different back then that it's hard to see the same actor in the two characters.

Oh, and Jenna Fischer from The Office makes a couple of cameo appearances, with a couple of funny lines. Ted Nugent plays himself in one episode. Jon Favreau directed an episode.

Apatow had an eye for talent. While he wasn't responsible for the subsequent success of some of the funnier people on Undeclared, he did manage to work with them before they got big.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
15 Sep 2015 21:16 #210726 by KingPut
Finished the first 2 seasons of Rectify. It started to drag about half way through season 2. I'm glad I'm getting a break from it to watch so lighter stuff.

Started Narcos on Netflix. I'm enjoying it so far. Good acting, writing etc. It makes me want to get in a game of Andean Abyss.

I also watched the first episode of Marvel's Guardian of the Galaxy Animated Series from Disney XD. Overall, it's the typical Disney animated stuff like Star Wars Clone Wars, X-Men and Avengers Assemble. I would have loved this kind of show when I was 9-12 years old and I find my liking this this kind of animated show when I'm watching with one of my daughters but there's too many other good non-animated shows to watch now a days. So I don't tend to watch animated shows too often now a days. However, me and my daughter are planning on watching the whole Guardian series and I'm looking forward that.

After one episode and the short origins stories. What they got right:
1. Excellent visual, animation, scenery and characters.
2. Use the sound track from the movie. I hope they add in some more 70s tunes.
3. Rocket and Groots voice overs are pretty good.
4. Sticking close to the movie tie in with Yondu and a trip to Knowhere
5. Good mix of humor and action. The humors is geared more for 10 - 12 year but they only had one fart joke so I'm ok with that.

What they didn't get right:
1. Star-Lord sounds and acts a little more like a 14 year old. More like a young Peter Parker not adult Peter Quinn. It got a little better as the show went on.
2. The biggest problem I had was the writing and voice acting for Gamora. It was horrible. How come writers and actresses play almost ever women warrior type as a stiff emotionless robot. Personally, I think Zoe Saldana did a pretty good job Gamora the most dangerous women in the universe. The animated Gamora reminds me of the stiff emotionless Wonder Women from the 1970's Super Friend, May on Shield or Nebula (Amy Pond) in the Guardian's Movie.
3. Drax and Rocket are the 2 funniest character in the Guardian movie and in the comic books. As I mentioned they did good job with Rocket. I'm hopeful they'll find a way mix in more of the great Drax humor rather than have him say let me get my revenge on Thanos every other line.

More
22 Sep 2015 13:18 #211118 by Green Lantern
Homeland season two is going fine but man does the relationship between Brody and Carrie strain the suspenders of disbelief. I think I'll call it after this season as I'm getting to the point where I don't really care for any of the characters and Carrie is wearing out her welcome.

More
22 Sep 2015 15:55 #211134 by airmarkus

Green Lantern wrote: Homeland season two is going fine but man does the relationship between Brody and Carrie strain the suspenders of disbelief. I think I'll call it after this season as I'm getting to the point where I don't really care for any of the characters and Carrie is wearing out her welcome.

Yeah, I quit after Season 1. I just thought the whole thing was pretty hard to believe after the last few episodes. Agree on the characters., except the daughter. She was the only one who seemed like a realistic character.

More
22 Sep 2015 16:24 #211141 by hotseatgames
Finished Happy Valley on Netflix. Awesome show, definitely recommended!

More
22 Sep 2015 17:27 #211150 by airmarkus
Aw crap, I just realized the daughter character I was thinking of in Homeland was really the daughter in The Americans. Was there even a daughter in Homeland. I guess I didn't find much of Homeland believable after all, or memorable for that matter.

More
22 Sep 2015 18:19 #211156 by Green Lantern
Yeah, there is a daughter to Brody in Homeland but I haven't really found her arc or actor very compelling. Like I said, I am punting after season 2. I had every intention of stopping at season 1 but nothing, and I mean NOTHING, was resolved at the end of season 1. Another reason I've gone into season 2 with a bit of a grudge.

More
22 Sep 2015 21:21 #211162 by ChristopherMD
Doctor Who's been hit or miss (mostly miss) for a while now. I thought the season opener was a hit. Glad to see
Warning: Spoiler!

More
22 Sep 2015 21:27 #211163 by SuperflyPete
The Voice. Natural fit because of my love of music.

I saw the premiere of Blindsided (??)...spy-ey show with too much action and the most contrived plot ever. Manchurian Candidate meets 24. Meh.

More
23 Sep 2015 00:17 - 23 Sep 2015 00:19 #211173 by Cranberries
I just finished the first season (ten episodes) of Mr. Robot . I predicted the big twist before it happened, but who didn't? It has some painful moments as characters you have grown to like make morally compromising decisions. Pretty gritty, but it kept me up late for several nights as I tried to watch just one more episode. I am assuming that the second season will be terrible.

Parts of this show relating to Elliot's father knocked the wind out of me as my father passed away in August, and I learned things about him I wished I hadn't. He was also into electronics and old school nerdery. He spent the last years of his life obsessively copying rental movies onto dvds.

Last edit: 23 Sep 2015 00:19 by Cranberries.

More
29 Sep 2015 09:31 #211565 by Black Barney
Anyone catch new daily show with Trevor Noah ? I thought it was excellent. Very funny and, like Larry Wilmore, he’s taking a lot more risks than Stewart did. Very funny stuff.

New correspondant was terrible but I'm glad Klepper is still there. He's my favorite

More
29 Sep 2015 09:42 #211570 by Columbob
Anyone watching the new Muppets? Second episode tonight. I missed the first one but it's on repeat on Sunday.

More
29 Sep 2015 15:38 - 29 Sep 2015 15:39 #211604 by Grudunza

Columbob wrote: Anyone watching the new Muppets? Second episode tonight. I missed the first one but it's on repeat on Sunday.

I really liked the first ep. I'm a long time Muppets fan, but wasn't really sold on this concept, initially. But it's kind of the perfect vehicle for them; the old Muppet show was sending up the variety shows of the 70's, and this follows the reality comedy style (Office, Modern Family, etc.) as well as late night talk shows (a great way to get some celebs on). I thought the writing was sharp and there were a good number of gags and jokes that landed. And they had Pepe show up a few times. He's my favorite character from the newer era, but they barely used him at all in the two recent films, so it was good to see him have a few lines.
Last edit: 29 Sep 2015 15:39 by Grudunza.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Columbob

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.559 seconds