October 09, 2023
2455 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2657 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What TV SHOWS are you watching?

More
11 May 2018 10:29 #273131 by SuperflyPete

Msample wrote: After recently getting hooked on THE EXPANSE, bummed to find out that ScyFy is dropping it after this season. Hopefully some other network picks it up.

You wholeheartedly ruined my day, and this after arguing with my family because they’re telling my brother he should be looking at naturopathy to cure his early stage lymphoma. I swear to God. The Expanse gets cancelled and I get indisputable proof that half my family is retarded.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 May 2018 10:36 #273132 by Colorcrayons

Michael Barnes wrote: Or stop spending money on that garbage ass Lost In Space debacle...

It seems a lot of bad decisions are being made like this.

Which is sad, because the expanse is the best thing to happen to Sci-Fi (and SyFy) since the first season (or at least the pilot) of BSG.

But then again BSG overstayed it's welcome. I wouldn't mind abrupt endings as long as they can be satisfying.

Sadly, lost in space is just bad and always has been. I've watched it since a kid and nostalgia isn't helping it.

I would rather see shows like the expanse getting made and being cut short before they should be, rather than see yet another poor bit of nostalgia rape.

But we do have santa Clarita diet, and the good place. (I've been developing an unhealthy obsession over Kristen Bell, as she just gets better and better. She has such a sharp wit and great timing) So there is still a reason to have hope in creativity in TV.

More
11 May 2018 10:53 #273133 by barrowdown

san il defanso wrote:

Gary Sax wrote: Saw episode 2 of the Rajneeshi cult doc on Netflix. As you said, thus far I'm just growing to hate the hick assholes who live there more and more. It's funny how not upsetting the freakout film plays in 2018 that horrified everyone about what the cult might be up to.

Ready for the cult to get real fucked up in the next episode or so.

That show was super fascinating from the standpoint of conflict resolution, because at no point does anyone involved really bypass the opportunity the de-escalate the whole thing. After all is said and done I'm not sure anyone comes out of that series looking very good. Really great documentary, I like how they largely take all of the Rajneeshis at face value, not really making them look like blinkered dummies.

This show has created an exponential increase in random coworkers dropping by my office to ask about it (I grew up in Wasco County). I have normally described the area I grew up in as a place you generally drive through but do not stop.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, san il defanso

More
11 May 2018 10:57 - 11 May 2018 10:58 #273134 by stoic
I'm beginning to distrust networks and ScFi series.

For me the hurt all started when they cancelled Earth 2 and Space Above and Beyond on NBC despite the good ratings and fan support.

Thereafter:

I get suckered into watching the Dollhouse and Fox cancels it.
I get suckered into watching Firefly on Fox cancels it.
I get suckered into watching all of the Stargate series and SyFy cancels it.
I get suckered into watching Jericho and Fox cancels it.
I get suckered into watching Farscape and SyFy cancels it.
I get suckered into watching Defying Gravity and ABC cancels it.
I get suckered into watching the new "V" and SyFy cancels it.
I get suckered into watching The Expanse and SyFy cancels it.

What's the deal with scifi tv series?
Last edit: 11 May 2018 10:58 by stoic.

More
11 May 2018 11:06 #273135 by hotseatgames
I really enjoyed the first season of Expanse. Frankly, I thought season 2 was so disappointing that I haven't even bothered with season 3. I think the main character sucks.

More
11 May 2018 11:10 #273136 by Msample

stoic wrote: I'm beginning to distrust networks and ScFi series.

For me the hurt all started when they cancelled Earth 2 and Space Above and Beyond on NBC despite the good ratings and fan support.

Thereafter:

I get suckered into watching the Dollhouse and Fox cancels it.
I get suckered into watching Firefly on Fox cancels it.
I get suckered into watching all of the Stargate series and SyFy cancels it.
I get suckered into watching Jericho and Fox cancels it.
I get suckered into watching Farscape and SyFy cancels it.
I get suckered into watching Defying Gravity and ABC cancels it.
I get suckered into watching the new "V" and SyFy cancels it.
I get suckered into watching The Expanse and SyFy cancels it.

What's the deal with scifi tv series?

Don't forget TERMINATOR: THE SARAH CONNOR CHRONICLES .

Stargate had a pretty good run at least.

More
11 May 2018 11:19 #273137 by Michael Barnes
When it comes down to it, the audience for SF TV does not equate to enough eyes on screens to sustain what are generally fairly expensive, high concept serials. Even original Trek only lasted 3 seasons. TNG went 7 seasons long chiefly because at that time, it was really the only thing like it and it was of a generally high quality. During its run, lesser shows came and went- Space: Above and Beyond, anyone?

BSG was an anomaly, but the secret sauce was that it was sexy and had sexy people in it and more importantly it was actually about it’s time- the spaceships and robots were not the attraction to a large audience, it was the post 9/11 paranoia politics and the overarching sense of surviving an unthinkable disaster. Everyone could understand the themes, concepts, and characters- it wasn’t a bunch of tacky, cheese ass nerd shit like Babylon 5 or Stargate. This is also why Game of Thrones is more popular than Legend of the Seeker or Beastmaster: The Series.

Doctor Who has been on for the better part of over 50 years...because it covers a wide range of subjects, has normal people in it, and hinges on a central character that is usually very likable and appealing (Colin Baker notwithstanding). It’s a miracle that they manage to pull off 50+ years of actual continuity AND refresh the show every couple of years for another generation.

I knew The Expanse was DOA. It’s good. But it is also supreme nerd stuff- like Dollhouse or Farscape. It’s more serious, but it is ultimately alienating for mainstream audiences.

Netflix, Hulu and Amazon are the future for SF TV, period. As long as they don’t fuck it all up like Lost in Space. I though “cool, maybe it’s something I can watch with my kids”...then the R-rated language kicks in and the “gritty” bullshit. Horrible show with virtually zero appeal.

I believe, however, it is time for LEXX to be reassessed as one of the great SF programs.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample, Nodens

More
11 May 2018 11:23 #273138 by Colorcrayons
V and many other series, suffer(ed)from the mid season break that we have been plagued with since the writers strike of 2007.

We lost many good shows, like Pushing Daisies because of that.

I no longer keep track of shows on TV on their schedule because of that. I've been content to just watch them in binge fashion once their seasons are complete. I'm not going to play that mid season game anymore, since I lose complete interest in a show and I just forget about it's existence if the tempo gets broken.

Even Netflix has been toying with it lately, instead of releasing a season in it's entirety. I have no idea why any network thinks this an even remotely good idea.

More
11 May 2018 11:24 #273139 by ChristopherMD

Michael Barnes wrote: - it wasn’t a bunch of tacky, cheese ass nerd shit like Babylon 5.

You're dead to me now.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample, stoic, Gregarius

More
11 May 2018 11:30 - 11 May 2018 12:39 #273140 by charlest

SuperflyTNT wrote:

Msample wrote: After recently getting hooked on THE EXPANSE, bummed to find out that ScyFy is dropping it after this season. Hopefully some other network picks it up.

You wholeheartedly ruined my day, and this after arguing with my family because they’re telling my brother he should be looking at naturopathy to cure his early stage lymphoma. I swear to God. The Expanse gets cancelled and I get indisputable proof that half my family is retarded.

Man, my brother in law just beat Lymphoma with chemo. Found out in December and just finished his last chemo session. Crazy how fast it went. Hopefully it all works out for your bro.

Barnes nonsense

I actually enjoyed Lost in Space.
Last edit: 11 May 2018 12:39 by charlest.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, Black Barney

More
11 May 2018 11:59 #273142 by Sagrilarus

Michael Barnes wrote: Or stop spending money on that garbage ass Lost In Space debacle...

I'll lean in on this one.

Seriously, there's some shows where someone should fund BLOCKING a remake. This would have been near the top of the list. I watched the first episode and boy, I was rooting for the ice planet to win. Starting with a whole new cast would have been refreshing halfway through.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney, Colorcrayons

More
11 May 2018 12:05 #273143 by Msample

Michael Barnes wrote:
Doctor Who has been on for the better part of over 50 years...because it covers a wide range of subjects, has normal people in it, and hinges on a central character that is usually very likable and appealing (Colin Baker notwithstanding). It’s a miracle that they manage to pull off 50+ years of actual continuity AND refresh the show every couple of years for another generation..

Doctor Who is also pretty low budget as well - that probably helps sustain it.

More
11 May 2018 12:11 #273144 by Black Barney
How far away are we from a Buck Rogers reboot?! I can't wait.

I hope Flash Gordon doesn't get redone.

Has Castle Rock started yet? I was looking forward to that one. What about The Terror?

I didn't watch any of The Siren. Is it like super-sexy or just super-terrible?

Anyway, if I was a betting man, I bet we're going to get a Quantum Leap reboot before most other things

More
11 May 2018 12:24 #273145 by charlest
The Terror is very good, I've watched the first two episodes.
The following user(s) said Thank You: allismom3, Black Barney

More
11 May 2018 13:05 #273146 by Msample

Black Barney wrote: How far away are we from a Buck Rogers reboot?! I can't wait.

I hope Flash Gordon doesn't get redone.

Has Castle Rock started yet? I was looking forward to that one. What about The Terror?

I didn't watch any of The Siren. Is it like super-sexy or just super-terrible?

Anyway, if I was a betting man, I bet we're going to get a Quantum Leap reboot before most other things

Actually Flash Gordon was rebooted a decade ago:

www.imdb.com/title/tt0959086/?ref_=nv_sr_2

Lasted one season .
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.566 seconds