Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

TOPIC: What TV SHOWS are you watching?

What TV SHOWS are you watching? 11 May 2018 11:45 #273150

Sagrilarus wrote:
Michael Barnes wrote:
Or stop spending money on that garbage ass Lost In Space debacle...

I'll lean in on this one.

Seriously, there's some shows where someone should fund BLOCKING a remake. This would have been near the top of the list. I watched the first episode and boy, I was rooting for the ice planet to win. Starting with a whole new cast would have been refreshing halfway through.

You're not alone. We watched his with the kids. The female spawnling was remarking how she hoped the girl trapped in ice would just get trapped with only her hand sticking out, so the rest of the family could remember her by high fiving her every morning.

That kid ain't right. But I too wanted them all to die to make it stop. Nobody enjoyed the two episodes we labored through. Don't care if it gets better. Life's too short.
  • Colorcrayons
  • D8
  • Wiz-Warrior
  • Thank you received: 1516
The administrator has disabled public write access.

What TV SHOWS are you watching? 11 May 2018 11:58 #273152

Southernman wrote:
BaronDonut wrote:
Shellhead wrote:
And yet, by the closing minutes, I was hooked.

I was floored by season 1. I liked the book okay--I think Gaiman's a strong storyteller, but I find his prose pretty uninteresting. The show capitalizes on the storytelling and matches it with Bryan Fuller's visual sense, which is nothing less than astonishing. Every shot is gorgeous and strange. I also think the new material they added for the show really works as well.

I'm a little worried about season 2--with Fuller departing, I wonder if it'll retain its style.

I found the characters dialogue to be one of the most intriguing parts of the show, especially the leprechaun.

The leprechaun looked familiar, so I checked on IMDB. That actor played a key role in season two of The Wire, my all-time favorite tv show.
  • Shellhead
  • D20
  • Thank you received: 3624

What TV SHOWS are you watching? 11 May 2018 12:34 #273153

yeah, i really need to see that. This summer i plan to finish watching The Sopranos for the first time and then I think I'll jump right into The Wire
  • Black Barney
  • D20
  • 10k Club
  • Thank you received: 3372
"We must let go of the life we had planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us." - Joseph Campbell
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample

What TV SHOWS are you watching? 11 May 2018 14:08 #273158

What is with the Lost in Space hate? I've watched 6(?) episodes and the writing for the siblings seems fairly spot on. It isn't a terribly written show and the characters feel believable. The kids are all wunderkinds of some flavor and that is unbelievable, granted. I wasn't expecting anything amazing going into it, so maybe that is why I don't hate it.

We all knew what was going to happen when the daughter went into the ship and didn't make it out. But that is set piece drama for you.

A gropping drama, no. Fun distraction, sure.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, ChristopherMD, Not Sure

What TV SHOWS are you watching? 11 May 2018 14:27 #273161

People like to hate on stuff. That's why I don't talk online about most of the TV shows I'm into.
  • ChristopherMD
  • Road Warrior
  • Thank you received: 2170

What TV SHOWS are you watching? 11 May 2018 14:43 #273163

the_jake_1973 wrote:
What is with the Lost in Space hate? I've watched 6(?) episodes and the writing for the siblings seems fairly spot on. It isn't a terribly written show and the characters feel believable. The kids are all wunderkinds of some flavor and that is unbelievable, granted. I wasn't expecting anything amazing going into it, so maybe that is why I don't hate it.

We all knew what was going to happen when the daughter went into the ship and didn't make it out. But that is set piece drama for you.

A gropping drama, no. Fun distraction, sure.

I actually enjoyed watching it. Parker Posey was a good version of villain Dr. Smith. My only gripes are that there wasn't much believable "science" in this science fiction story, and, even as fantasy it was lame too. Moreover, John Robinson, a special forces soldier, was an awful leader who is portrayed as a wimp who would never have agreed to go anywhere in a frontier setting without an easy access to a weapon. In the end, the whole show felt like a second-rate Terra Nova reboot, but, with a robot.
  • stoic
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D8
  • Cobra Kai!
  • Thank you received: 944

What TV SHOWS are you watching? 11 May 2018 20:28 #273179

This is not the year for a groping drama.

I'm sort of pissy that Brooklyn 99 is "cancelled", which apparently really means "fielding offers from everyone except Fox".
  • Not Sure
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D8
  • Thank you received: 1049
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, the_jake_1973

What TV SHOWS are you watching? 11 May 2018 21:34 #273180

Finished season one of American Gods.It's very good. The material was stretched a little too far to the pad out the season, but overall was definitely worth watching. My only serious complaint is the soundtrack was nowhere near as good as the rest of the show. Songs were sometimes annoying and often intrusive. The worst was the episode featuring the story of Essie the indentured servant, where the show went with '50s pop songs for all the 18th century scenes. And of course, some of those '50s songs were annoying and intrusive.
  • Shellhead
  • D20
  • Thank you received: 3624

What TV SHOWS are you watching? 12 May 2018 10:29 #273190

Not Sure wrote:
I'm sort of pissy that Brooklyn 99 is "cancelled", which apparently really means "fielding offers from everyone except Fox".

‘Brooklyn Nine-Nine’ Is Picked Up by NBC
  • Disgustipater
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D8
  • Dapper Deep One
  • Thank you received: 955
The following user(s) said Thank You: Not Sure

What TV SHOWS are you watching? 12 May 2018 13:36 #273198

Watched the Andre the Giant docu from HBO. It was really good even if like me you aren't into wrestling. Now I'm going to have to watch Princess Bride later.
  • ChristopherMD
  • Road Warrior
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, stoic

What TV SHOWS are you watching? 12 May 2018 14:23 #273199

Yeah, really want to see that one.
  • Gary Sax
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Shelf Toad King
  • Thank you received: 3349

What TV SHOWS are you watching? 13 May 2018 15:26 #273238

Watched the first couple of episodes of Cobra Kai. It is surprisingly good to see how such a seminal event in two teenager's lives affects them later in life. It has been really good to make things much more grey as it was really good teacher vs bad teacher in the original Karate Kid rather than good kid vs bad kid. Very interested to see how this plays out.
The following user(s) said Thank You: stoic

What TV SHOWS are you watching? 13 May 2018 21:27 #273244

charlest wrote:
The Terror is very good, I've watched the first two episodes.

We finished The Terror last Friday. One of the best horror shows I've seen and a great tv show in its own right. The vise starts ratcheting fairly early on and the last few episodes are unbelievably tense.

Syfy only distribute The Expanse- hopefully the company that makes it can get it on Netflix. I'm really liking season 3 at the moment. Watching the latest episode followed by the latest episode of Legion was a series of gut punches.
  • trif
  • D4
  • Thank you received: 68

What TV SHOWS are you watching? 14 May 2018 18:41 #273302

Finished watching the last season of Ash vs Evil Dead. This whole series was a treat to watch. Lots of great stuff this season particularly. Finally nodding to Army of Darkness and the plot with his daughter. I loved the scene in the shed where she was getting all the camera angles and wackiness that Ash usually gets. Pretty cool ending for the series too.
  • ChristopherMD
  • Road Warrior

What TV SHOWS are you watching? 14 May 2018 20:12 #273309

I'm currently watching True Blood.

On the beginning of season 6 right now.

I don't know if it's always intentional, but there are parts in this show that are so ridiculously stupid, I can't help but cackle with levity. I know they understand and make some self effacing bits in the show as a wink to how dumb it is, but I'm not sure if all funny parts are like that. If it's all intentional, then this is the most genius comedic series since arrested development.

As it stands though, I often hug my blanket in bed, shuddering with tears from laughter as I loudly bemoan how utterly fucking stupid the show is. And I can't stop watching.
  • Colorcrayons
  • D8
  • Wiz-Warrior
  • Thank you received: 1516
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, ChristopherMD, Black Barney
Time to create page: 0.494 seconds