October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2509 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What TV SHOWS are you watching?

More
14 May 2018 23:52 - 14 May 2018 23:52 #273316 by SuperflyPete

ChristopherMD wrote: People like to hate on stuff. That's why I don't talk online about most of the TV shows I'm into.

I liked the Lost in Space remake. Loved it, almost. I don’t really need to shit in people’s cheerios because they like something, most of the time.

Sort of like the John Mayer/Blues/Jazz thing.
Last edit: 14 May 2018 23:52 by SuperflyPete.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 May 2018 00:16 #273317 by hotseatgames
Finished the seasons of Silicon Valley and Barry. Silicon Valley was average; I keep hoping it will get better. Barry was a wonderful surprise; very entertaining.

The latest Westworld certainly had a lot going on. :)

More
15 May 2018 08:39 #273321 by charlest
Yeah, that latest Westworld was a great episode. Lots of good stuff.

Anyone still watching The Americans? I really enjoy it still and will be sad when it eventually goes.

More
15 May 2018 08:48 #273322 by Shellhead

Colorcrayons wrote: I'm currently watching True Blood.

On the beginning of season 6 right now.

I don't know if it's always intentional, but there are parts in this show that are so ridiculously stupid, I can't help but cackle with levity. I know they understand and make some self effacing bits in the show as a wink to how dumb it is, but I'm not sure if all funny parts are like that. If it's all intentional, then this is the most genius comedic series since arrested development.

As it stands though, I often hug my blanket in bed, shuddering with tears from laughter as I loudly bemoan how utterly fucking stupid the show is. And I can't stop watching.

My sister is a big fan of True Blood, in part because she lives in Shreveport. So I gave it a try. The title sequence is great, but the rampant stupidity of the show became oppressive. I gave up after six episodes, but if it gets even more stupid, it sounds like it could be entertaining after all.

More
15 May 2018 09:39 #273325 by RobertB
Shellhead wrote:

My sister is a big fan of True Blood, in part because she lives in Shreveport. So I gave it a try. The title sequence is great, but the rampant stupidity of the show became oppressive. I gave up after six episodes, but if it gets even more stupid, it sounds like it could be entertaining after all.

More stupid? I don't think that's possible. No, wait - I sat through a lot of Banshee, so 'more stupid' is definitely possible. True Blood definitely lets you check 'boobs' and 'blood' off your list, though.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
15 May 2018 09:49 #273327 by ChristopherMD
I only really liked the first season of True Blood because it had the murder mystery.

Banshee was a lot more fun throughout its series.

More
15 May 2018 11:10 #273330 by Colorcrayons
The humor often happens in serious places. The tone heaps up so high that it just breaks the dam.

Other times it's recurring, like absolutely everytime a vampire bears fangs (seriously, it's one of the most ridiculous things I've ever seen. The show has to be self aware of this), or vampire bill says the name "Sookie".

It's a daytime soap opera with a harlequin romance novel cover, that is also 'meant to be consumed after dark'.

I'm convinced it is trash that is self aware and rolls in it's own offal like a hog.

I also enjoy some of the portrayals of Southerners. As a person who has been all over the gulf coast region, I find some of it as exaggerated parody and some of it so honest that I don't know whether to laugh or cry. It's spinal tap for the south.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead

More
15 May 2018 11:33 #273336 by Gregarius

charlest wrote: Anyone still watching The Americans? I really enjoy it still and will be sad when it eventually goes.

I love The Americans, but I don't have cable. So I'm always a full season behind. Fortunately, it stays under the radar pretty well, so it's easy to avoid spoilers.
The following user(s) said Thank You: charlest

More
15 May 2018 13:34 #273348 by Jackwraith

Gregarius wrote:

charlest wrote: Anyone still watching The Americans? I really enjoy it still and will be sad when it eventually goes.

I love The Americans, but I don't have cable. So I'm always a full season behind. Fortunately, it stays under the radar pretty well, so it's easy to avoid spoilers.

We've been catching up on the Americans and are midway through season 5 right now. I have to say that I'm losing my interest in it pretty rapidly. There were some good moments in seasons 3 and 4, but nothing that had me saying: "We should watch another one tonight!" Now it feels more like a completion thing.

Gregarius, The Americans is on Amazon, including the current season (I think the episodes are available after the initial FX broadcast.) So, if you have Prime, you should be able to watch everything and catch up to the current stuff, as you like.

More
15 May 2018 13:53 #273349 by stormseeker75
We are almost done with season 2 of Preacher. It took a while to get going, but it's overall quite good. The character development is great.

More
15 May 2018 13:59 #273350 by Cranberries

Jackwraith wrote:

Gregarius wrote:

We've been catching up on the Americans and are midway through season 5 right now. I have to say that I'm losing my interest in it pretty rapidly. There were some good moments in seasons 3 and 4, but nothing that had me saying: "We should watch another one tonight!" Now it feels more like a completion thing.

Gregarius, The Americans is on Amazon, including the current season (I think the episodes are available after the initial FX broadcast.) So, if you have Prime, you should be able to watch everything and catch up to the current stuff, as you like.

Season five was notoriously slow, and more about their relationship than anything else. Season six is KNOCKING MY SOCKS COMPLETELY OFF. This will replace The Shield as my favorite long arc tv series. Really, it's a tv show about two serial killers in the eighties and their marital difficulties, with a little ideology slathered on top.

More
15 May 2018 15:45 #273361 by Pat II

charlest wrote: The Terror is very good, I've watched the first two episodes.

This is a good series. I loved the book and they've done it justice.

More
15 May 2018 16:25 #273367 by Jackwraith

cranberries wrote: Season five was notoriously slow, and more about their relationship than anything else.

And I'm OK with that except... we've done this bit already, multiple times. Every season has one or the other of them getting jealous about the esoteric parts of a job THAT THEY'VE BEEN DOING FOR TWENTY YEARS. Shouldn't they be past the jealousy part, already? For that matter, midway through season 5, we have Philip getting uneasy about the job again. This is the same thing he was complaining about in the VERY FIRST EPISODE of the series. After 4.5 seasons, you're telling me that they can't come up with some new themes? By far the most interesting sequence in the entire series is (spoilers)

Warning: Spoiler!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries

More
15 May 2018 16:32 #273370 by Gregarius

Jackwraith wrote:

cranberries wrote: Season five was notoriously slow, and more about their relationship than anything else.

And I'm OK with that except... we've done this bit already, multiple times. Every season has one or the other of them getting jealous about the esoteric parts of a job THAT THEY'VE BEEN DOING FOR TWENTY YEARS. Shouldn't they be past the jealousy part, already? For that matter, midway through season 5, we have Philip getting uneasy about the job again. This is the same thing he was complaining about in the VERY FIRST EPISODE of the series. After 4.5 seasons, you're telling me that they can't come up with some new themes? By far the most interesting sequence in the entire series is (spoilers)

Warning: Spoiler!

I don't think they're *returning* to the theme of Philip questioning his job, I think it's still unresolved. Unlike most TV dramas, real, life-changing decisions don't get made over the course of a week so that people can move on. It's an internal conflict that will probably never properly resolve for him. He's good at it, but he hates it. He wants to quit, but doesn't want to give up all the things it has given him. That inner turmoil influences every action he takes, every interaction with other people, even his own family. I find it fascinating and well-imagined.

I've watched every season so far on Amazon, but I didn't realize I could get currently airing episodes on there. I'll have to look into that.

More
15 May 2018 18:58 #273388 by Jackwraith
Sure. That's valid. I'm always one who appreciates that characters act like real humans, rather than just how the ideal script would have them perform, and I appreciate that. I've just found it tiresome that they keep returning to those same themes even though they'll acknowledge that "This is part of the job." five minutes later. Perhaps it's just the deep cover KGB agent's way of bitching about one's job but never actually doing anything to solve the conflict that they're bitching about.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.537 seconds