October 09, 2023
2505 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2704 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What TV SHOWS are you watching?

More
16 Jul 2018 08:49 - 16 Jul 2018 12:30 #277640 by charlest
I made it halfway through season 1 of Channel 0. It was solid but for some reason I stopped and never got back to it. Maybe I will.
Last edit: 16 Jul 2018 12:30 by charlest.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Jul 2018 12:04 #277668 by Jexik
We've watched both seasons of Nailed It! It's stupid fun.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose

More
16 Jul 2018 12:32 #277674 by Black Barney
Its probably way too political to talk about but I just watched the 10 minute clip of THIS IS AMERICA (Sacha Baron Cohen's new Showtime show) and I was floored by how brilliant and brutal it was.

I think some of the political satire shows are getting a little too trite and cringy (I can't even watch Samantha Bee anymore), but THIS IS AMERICA seems to dance the line perfectly (so far). I was sure the guy was never going to be able to score another interview again but he's somehow pulled it off by being unrecognizable enough. His character is hilarious. I don't know how he keeps a straight face at all.

More
16 Jul 2018 15:12 #277686 by Disgustipater
It is called Who is America?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
16 Jul 2018 16:59 #277705 by ubarose

Jexik wrote: We've watched both seasons of Nailed It! It's stupid fun.

The Spawn and I watched one episode. It was okay, but it just didn't fill the void left by the Great British Baking Show

More
16 Jul 2018 17:06 #277706 by BaronDonut

ubarose wrote:

Jexik wrote: We've watched both seasons of Nailed It! It's stupid fun.

The Spawn and I watched one episode. It was okay, but it just didn't fill the void left by the Great British Baking Show

Truly, nothing can.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Gary Sax

More
17 Jul 2018 11:16 #277767 by Joebot

Black Barney wrote: Its probably way too political to talk about but I just watched the 10 minute clip of THIS IS AMERICA (Sacha Baron Cohen's new Showtime show) and I was floored by how brilliant and brutal it was.

I think some of the political satire shows are getting a little too trite and cringy (I can't even watch Samantha Bee anymore), but THIS IS AMERICA seems to dance the line perfectly (so far). I was sure the guy was never going to be able to score another interview again but he's somehow pulled it off by being unrecognizable enough. His character is hilarious. I don't know how he keeps a straight face at all.

I saw a clip of the segment where he got a bunch of congressmen to endorse his "Kinderguardians" program to train and arm kindergartners. That was nauseating how eagerly those guys jumped on board with that.

I finished season 2 of Luke Cage. Eh. It was okay, I guess. I think I might be done with these Netflix Marvel shows. They can't seem to figure out what they want to be. Are they fun superhero adventures? Or are they super-serious prestige dramas? It's pretty hard to be both of those things at the same time. The pacing is so slow and plodding. They clearly don't have enough plot to fill 13 episodes. I really wish they'd go with shorter seasons, or change up the format a bit, to introduce more one-off adventures and stories, instead of always being 100% focused on a big, serialized story.

And then, because I just finished reading, "All the Pieces Matter" (a book about The Wire) .... I started a rewatch of The Wire. I'm excited. "There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck."

More
21 Jul 2018 09:39 #278038 by Black Barney
I might finally start watching THE WIRE in three weeks but I got to finish SOpRANOs first

So I watched all of the more recent collection (5) of COMEDIANS IN CARS GETTING COFFEE and to my surprise I think Ellen DeGeneres was the best one. Zach Galifinakis was also excellent as was Neal Brennan. Dave Chappelle was a snoozer and I was disappointed in my favourite, Brian Regan. Dana Carvey was really funny but talk about a guy with zero evolution. I guess he doesn’t need to cuz his old stuff is all still funny.

And I finally really started STRANGER THINGS and am half way through season one. Winona Ryder is surprisingly decent, and I still don’t even know who Millie Bobby Brown is despite hearing her name everywhere. Is she Nancy (the hot sister) or Eleven? I’m guessing she’s one of those and I feel I’ve asked this here before, lol

More
21 Jul 2018 10:35 #278042 by repoman
I stumbled upon a series from 2007 on Amazon Prime. The surprising thing is that I had no idea it even existed.

It's a modernized version of Flash Gordon.

The show is from the era, or should be from the era, of syndicated genre shows. The production values are right in line with Xena Warrior Princess or Buffy the Vampire Slayer and shares some of the same philosophies. It's not taking itself super serious, sort of light hearted but not self aware or super campy either. The acting isn't horrible and some of it is pretty darn good.

They have changed the basic premise from one where Ming the Merciless is flying his planet Mongo towards earth and causing all sorts of catastrophic geologic events to rip the world apart. They heroes don't fly in a space ship either.

Rather, they introduce a story line where Flash's father was involved in some super secret science project where he creates an intradimenstional gate ala Sliders which allows travel between Mongo and Earth. So we've got Flash's hometown stories woven with the Mongo stuff. Ming's minions are sent to Earth to look for a McGuffin Flash's dad has hidden.

They were pretty smart with what I assume are supposed to be the Lionmen of Prince Thun. Instead of going with what would surely be ridiculous costumes or expensive CGI, they instead make them sort of fierce but shaggy barbarians. It was a good choice and worked well. I really like the Hans Zarkov character as well.

Attachments:

More
21 Jul 2018 10:37 #278043 by repoman

Black Barney wrote:
And I finally really started STRANGER THINGS and am half way through season one. Winona Ryder is surprisingly decent, and I still don’t even know who Millie Bobby Brown is despite hearing her name everywhere. Is she Nancy (the hot sister) or Eleven? I’m guessing she’s one of those and I feel I’ve asked this here before, lol

You should try this marvelous website called I.M.D.B. Barney. It's like the Boardgame Geek of movies.

T.L.D.R. Millie plays the character 11

More
22 Jul 2018 07:38 #278114 by ThirstyMan
Just bought the first season of The Terror on Amazon Prime for $7.

It is great. MEGA in fact (Make England Great Again).

Thanks to whomever recommended it some pages back.

More
22 Jul 2018 10:28 #278123 by Black Barney
I can’t wait to see Mega in theatres. Looks like a fun Deep Blue Sea

So I finished season one of Stranger Things last night which was mostly amazing. Too much bullying for my taste, especially mid season, but everything else was excellent. The season finale was sooo exciting, I was constantly amazed. Note to viewers : don’t start watching season two immediately after. The pace grinds to a halt, relatively, so it’s hard to stay into it.

I think the chief of police is my favourite character

More
22 Jul 2018 13:41 #278132 by stoic
At the thrift store, I picked up Josh Wedon's The Dollhouse Seasons 1 & 2. It's been a well done tv-series with a few stand out actors and actresses. I really dig the conspiracy theory MKUltra mind control story plot line.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: WadeMonnig

More
22 Jul 2018 13:42 #278133 by stoic

repoman wrote: I stumbled upon a series from 2007 on Amazon Prime. The surprising thing is that I had no idea it even existed.

It's a modernized version of Flash Gordon.

The show is from the era, or should be from the era, of syndicated genre shows. The production values are right in line with Xena Warrior Princess or Buffy the Vampire Slayer and shares some of the same philosophies. It's not taking itself super serious, sort of light hearted but not self aware or super campy either. The acting isn't horrible and some of it is pretty darn good.

They have changed the basic premise from one where Ming the Merciless is flying his planet Mongo towards earth and causing all sorts of catastrophic geologic events to rip the world apart. They heroes don't fly in a space ship either.

Rather, they introduce a story line where Flash's father was involved in some super secret science project where he creates an intradimenstional gate ala Sliders which allows travel between Mongo and Earth. So we've got Flash's hometown stories woven with the Mongo stuff. Ming's minions are sent to Earth to look for a McGuffin Flash's dad has hidden.

They were pretty smart with what I assume are supposed to be the Lionmen of Prince Thun. Instead of going with what would surely be ridiculous costumes or expensive CGI, they instead make them sort of fierce but shaggy barbarians. It was a good choice and worked well. I really like the Hans Zarkov character as well.

I have this one on DVD. It deserved a second season.

More
28 Jul 2018 12:22 #278637 by hotseatgames
Since The Killing is leaving Netflix on August 1, I powered through and finished all 4 seasons. While not all moments of the show were good, overall the show was good, and I have to say that the ending was much more satisfying than most series endings. It felt appropriate.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.988 seconds