October 09, 2023
2491 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2691 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What TV SHOWS are you watching?

More
28 Jul 2018 14:29 #278645 by Frohike
Just finished the first 3 episodes of Castle Rock on Hulu. Outstanding cast. I think it really nails the Stephen King mythos from so many of his books of the dude returning to his small town in Maine, unearthing its secrets & sociological weird zones, and of course possessing his own mysterious quasi-supernatural, traumatic past. I enjoy the (many) nods to other stories that have been set there as well (you’ll know them when they drop the references).

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Jul 2018 15:14 #278647 by Josh Look
I’m only 2 episodes in, but I 100% agree. It’s great so far.

More
28 Jul 2018 17:57 #278657 by Chaz
Finished watching the final season of 12 Monkeys last night. I've been watching this from the start, and man, it's just been a million times better than it had any right to be. The really crazy part is for a mystery box show about time travel, they actually managed to answer all the questions and tie up all the plot threads, and had a really solid finale. Plus, lots of strong female characters. For real, watch this if you haven't. It's only four seasons, so it's not a huge commitment.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries, Sagrilarus, Colorcrayons, Nodens

More
29 Jul 2018 17:10 #278686 by Sagrilarus

Chaz wrote: Finished watching the final season of 12 Monkeys last night. I've been watching this from the start, and man, it's just been a million times better than it had any right to be. The really crazy part is for a mystery box show about time travel, they actually managed to answer all the questions and tie up all the plot threads, and had a really solid finale. Plus, lots of strong female characters. For real, watch this if you haven't. It's only four seasons, so it's not a huge commitment.

The first episode was quite good. Thanks for the tip.

More
07 Aug 2018 12:38 - 07 Aug 2018 12:39 #279419 by Black Barney
So once a year on my main summer vacation i get access to HBO for a couple of weeks. Its pretty overwhelmimg all the stuff i can stream so i try to come up with a plan. Last year i watched the first half of Sopranos which was awesome. I thought this year i was going to finish it off but i decided to start watching The Larry Sanders show for the first time. So far its awesome.

Its easier to stick with the TV shows cuz theres way too many movies to choose from. I found a helpful website that tells me what is new on HBO, whats coming and, most importantly, what is leaving. So if there is some movie i've always wanted to see and its only around for August, i can prioritize it.

I don't know how people do it when they have several streaming services

I'm glad i only do this on vacation. I'd be watching too much tv otherwise

Also having this much access to Last Week Tonight makes me realize that the show isn't excellent. Its just pretty good. Theres better things to be seeing
Last edit: 07 Aug 2018 12:39 by Black Barney.

More
07 Aug 2018 15:50 #279431 by Gregarius
If you haven't seen it already, I highly recommend "The Night Of" on HBO. It's a limited series (10 episodes, I think) about how the legal system works (or doesn't) for the average person. It's really great, but just a tad darker than Larry Sanders.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample, Black Barney, charlest, GorillaGrody

More
07 Aug 2018 17:48 #279433 by boothwah
I found Pluto Tv last month - There's a 24 hour a day MST3K Channel that pulls from Hodgson and Nelson. Other than the upcoming NFL season, it pretty much is the only thing I ever need to watch.

/Sometimes I accidentally watch a couple hours of the Rifftrax channel
//And they have a 24 hour Anthony Bourdain show, Nerdist, a station that streams dj shows, 2 Cat channels......
///It's like some stoners dreamt up their perfect entertainment suite
The following user(s) said Thank You: Colorcrayons

More
07 Aug 2018 19:30 #279447 by Black Barney
i think my viewing order on HBO series is going to be:

1. Larry Sanders (man, there are so many gems where I'm laughing hysterically already and i'm not even done Season 1 (I hear seasons 3-5 are the best). At one point he feels threatened by David Spade guest hosting when 'all the guy can do are a bunch of voices' so Larry says, "I can do characters too you know! You've never even seen my Chinese Weatherman" and then just about the worst imitation of a chinese weatherman you can imagine. It's so bad, it can't even be offensive cuz he doesn't even sound chinese when he does it. The layers this show has...wow.

2. The Wire - i've put it off long enough

3. The Leftovers - i've been hearing non-stop great stuff about this regardless of not knowing a single thing about it

4. Sopranos (i've only seen the first half).

this should keep me busy for the next year or two...

More
07 Aug 2018 23:43 #279456 by hotseatgames
I randomly loaded up an old anime on Amazon Prime, Goku Midnight Eye. It's cyberpunk, has voice actors from Akira, and is directed by the director of Ninja Scroll. Needless to say, the show is fucking rad.

More
08 Aug 2018 09:50 #279472 by Black Barney
I've been rewetting some of Season 7 of Game of Thrones and the whole Arya/Sansa/Littlefinger arc is really getting on my nerves in the same way that M. Night's The Village got on my nerves.

The way they are telling the Arya/Sansa/Littlefinger stuff, they are intentionally trying to deceive and mislead the audience. The characters are doing behaviors that make zero sense other than trying to trick us. I mean, there are no other characters in the room, there is no one else there to deceive or mislead. The whole thing is just for our 'benefit' which is dumb. So when the story finally concludes itself, we're supposed to be like, "oh, snap! Didn't see that coming!" but rewatching how the pieces are put together is not making any sense at all given how these characters are supposed to function and interact. Really lame story-telling I think. Thank goodness for Samwise at the Citadel. Those scenes are great upon rewatch.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gregarius

More
08 Aug 2018 21:01 #279508 by jeb
Replied by jeb on topic What TV SHOWS are you watching?
I really enjoyed Season 1 of THE GOOD PLACE on Netflix. Great show, very well-written, and the idea is loaded with comic sensibilities that they take to all kinds of cool places. It even exploits the utter -fakeness- of the "Smalltown USA" set on Universal's backlot.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD

More
08 Aug 2018 21:08 #279509 by ChristopherMD
Season 2 of The Good Place is great too.

More
08 Aug 2018 21:19 #279510 by Black Barney
I finished all of Season One of THE LARRY SANDERS SHOW in one day. One day. Binge much?

I'm starting season two and if they got rid of his wife, Jeanne, they made a heck of a right choice. Man, her scenes were draining in season one. The fun sponge of the show.

Also, i keep forgetting how attracted I used to be to Jeanine Garafolo.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WadeMonnig

More
10 Aug 2018 03:21 #279569 by mc
Replied by mc on topic What TV SHOWS are you watching?
Glad to hear about 12 Monkeys, I had that niggling feeling that things might not ever get resolved. I've enjoyed the first 3 seasons for the most part all the same.

I've persisted with El Ministrio del Tiempo, it's pretty fun. I've no doubt I've missed the odd Spanish in joke but you can get the gist of it. Light entertainment with some fun characters especially if you don't think too hard about the time travel and how it works. Some of it is pretty lavish too in terms of the look, they've gone to a lot of trouble. Last night I watched an episode which had a whole apocalypto vibe, some of the scenes wouldn't have been out of place. It's also fun when they have episodes with Spanish actors playing English people or Americans - there was a great one with Alfredo Hitchcock for instance - because that's most likely what most English language shows are like for non-English speakers.

More
11 Aug 2018 16:16 - 11 Aug 2018 16:16 #279596 by stoic
I finished binging Babylon Berlin on Netflix. This is highly recommended. It tells a winding tale of murder, mystery, intrigue, politics, spy-craft, mind-control, and detective noir set in the Post-WWI Weimar Republic. It has unforgettable characters and the cinematography is spell-binding. In typical Germanic fashion it has elements and influences from Fritz Lang.
Last edit: 11 Aug 2018 16:16 by stoic.
The following user(s) said Thank You: repoman

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.522 seconds