Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

TOPIC: What TV SHOWS are you watching?

What TV SHOWS are you watching? 19 Sep 2018 15:12 #281915

Shellhead wrote:
RobertB wrote:
@Shellhead - If you're talking about Gods of the Arena, I read that it was put together on relatively short notice to give the actor who played Spartacus some time to deal with cancer. Unfortunately, he passed away.

No, in my head canon, Gods of the Arena is Season 0 because it takes place before Season 1. Season 2 (Vengeance) is after the gladiators escape and start a rebellion. Gods of the Arena was fine, but the show moved away from what I enjoyed during season 2.
I loved Spartacus! It started as a guilty pleasure that I came to feel less and less guilty about.

I agree with Shellhead that the (historically necessary) turn it took in Seasons 2 & 3 made it a different show and somewhat less enjoyable, but overall I still thought it was great. In fact, I've been contemplating rewatching the whole thing, even though there are still a ton of shows out there that I've yet to watch.
  • Gregarius
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D8
  • Thank you received: 743
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, RobertB

What TV SHOWS are you watching? 19 Sep 2018 16:24 #281917

The best part about Gods of the Arena is that you get Gannicus, my favorite character on the show.
  • hotseatgames
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D10
  • Thank you received: 2260
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, RobertB, Colorcrayons

What TV SHOWS are you watching? 20 Sep 2018 10:31 #281957

I saw all seasons of Spartacus at Goodwill.

And while I have Netflix and can watch it anytime I like, I bought the first season and left everything else on the shelf.

To me, after watching the entire series years ago, the only bit you need is season 1. Everything else, by comparison, is not worth the time.
  • Colorcrayons
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D8
  • Wiz-Warrior
  • Thank you received: 1446
The following user(s) said Thank You: cranberries

What TV SHOWS are you watching? 20 Sep 2018 10:36 #281958

Also, I finished the first season of Dragon Prince on Netflix.

This is a pretty good show. Some of the characters are cookie cutter, but it satisfies the itch I have to see a magical fantasy show.

The spells being cast are creative and give you a sense that effort was put into it rather than just ripping off D&D wizard spells for material.

I hate how each episode is 20+ mins and you only get 9 episodes for first season.
  • Colorcrayons
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D8
  • Wiz-Warrior
  • Thank you received: 1446
The following user(s) said Thank You: Josh Look

What TV SHOWS are you watching? 20 Sep 2018 11:17 #281960

Colorcrayons wrote:
Also, I finished the first season of Dragon Prince on Netflix.

This is a pretty good show. Some of the characters are cookie cutter, but it satisfies the itch I have to see a magical fantasy show.

The spells being cast are creative and give you a sense that effort was put into it rather than just ripping off D&D wizard spells for material.

I hate how each episode is 20+ mins and you only get 9 episodes for first season.

I enjoyed it, too. I can’t really explain why when I talk to people about it. I just did.
  • Josh Look
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D10
  • Thank you received: 1542
I'm ok with Ben Affleck playing Batman. At least there will be a better director on set.

What TV SHOWS are you watching? 20 Sep 2018 12:02 #281961

I just re-watched all five seasons of Chuck. Sure, it can be goofy and dumb. And yes, you can see where the show hits some rough patches because it was on the bubble, so you see these amazing finales smack dab in the middle of seasons three and four. But there were moments when I laughed out loud, audibly cheered, or even briefly ugly cried. So there's that. It also has a lot of fan service, but incredibly satisfying fan service.

And this image, which I missed the first time around. The burned out employee Jeff who has been sleeping in his van with the engine running, turns off his van at night on doctor's orders and is transformed into an intelligent, ethical person, who is seen here reading Flowers for Algernon.

• cranberries
  • D10
  • Wait, are you sure?
  • Thank you received: 1495
Last Edit: 20 Sep 2018 12:04 by cranberries.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Grudunza, Colorcrayons

What TV SHOWS are you watching? 20 Sep 2018 12:51 #281969

Chuck was a huge favorite for our family. Probably wouldn’t hold up that well now, but at some point I’ll probably give it a spin again.

I wanted to add something to my earlier comment about the Better Call Saul montages, to say that I love many of them... the one the other day showing Kim and Jimmy’s split-screen life was absolutely brilliant. It’s more that they can sometimes feel like a crutch, or belabor an episode. For example, some of the ones with Mike, where they might take 10 minutes to show him taking a car apart. Yes, it’s meditative and shows you his meticulous nature, but still a bit much. And I think the last episode had something like three musical montages. Sure, show don’t tell... but for TV, sometimes also tell.

Terrific depth on some of these characters, though. And when it’s done, watching Breaking Bad again seems like a must.
  • Grudunza
  • D8
  • Thank you received: 882
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD

What TV SHOWS are you watching? 21 Sep 2018 07:38 #282018

Gregarius wrote:
ChristopherMD wrote:
For live tv I bought one of these and get all the basic channels. Paid for itself years ago.

www.amazon.com/Mohu-Paper-thin-Reversibl...pop_d_yo_pop_d_pd_t2
Yep, that's what I use.

Just ordered one of these pups from Amazon. I got the opportunity to try out a cheap antenna at the house and pulled in 48 channels. So this should sweep up everything in the area, and fit flat against the wall behind the TV. Thanks for the tip gents!
  • Sagrilarus
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D12
  • Thank you received: 3453
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD
Time to create page: 0.304 seconds