October 09, 2023
2491 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2691 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What TV SHOWS are you watching?

More
03 Dec 2018 02:18 - 03 Dec 2018 02:39 #287296 by mc
Replied by mc on topic What TV SHOWS are you watching?

repoman wrote: The Mighty Boosh is streaming on Amazon Prime.

Here is how I describe watching the Mighty Boosh:

First Viewing: What in the hell was that?
Second Viewing: I've no idea what's going on or why I'm smiling
Third Viewing: Laughing so hard I've got tears in my eyes.

The Mighty Boosh is genius!

Tony Harrison is my hero.

For a very very disturbing but mercifully short period my son kept talking like Old Greg. (He hadn't seen it or anything).

Also without seeing it my kids seem to do crimps all the time.

I love the Boosh, but what's alarming is that it doesn't put the madness of the world into any normal perspective as much as it should.

Finished watching Babylon Berlin.

It went crazy. Not quite anthropomorphic sex-pest fox crazy (Boosh!) but a kind of, b-grade action thriller crazy. It was a bit disappointing actually. Still glad i watched the rest though.
Last edit: 03 Dec 2018 02:39 by mc.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nodens, Hadik

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Dec 2018 14:07 #287336 by Gregarius

Michael Barnes wrote: However, it looks like a much more interesting way to do Watchmen than slavishly recreating the book (and completely misinterpreting it) like Zack Snyder did.

I find this most heartening.

More
03 Dec 2018 16:17 #287351 by Joebot
I finished watching the third season of Daredevil, just in time for Netflix to cancel the show, and throw it on the trash heap with other Marvel shows Iron Fist and Luke Cage. Presumably, this is all related to Disney's upcoming streaming service, and not wanting to compete with Netflix.

I thought this last season of Daredevil was really good. Definitely one of the better Netflix seasons.

That being said, I find I still don't really care that these shows are all being cancelled. None of them were what I would call "great TV." They ranged from "terrible" (Iron Fist) to "pretty good" (Daredevil). They all feel like a missed opportunity. They were originally billed as a new and interesting little corner of the MCU, where they would tell superhero stories with darker themes, more violence, and more time than you get in a 2-hour movie. Unfortunately, the shows were often saggy and very poorly paced, with not nearly enough plot to fill 13 episodes. The action scenes were a mixed bag. How can you have a show about a guy with mystical martial arts superpowers, and be SO BAD at action choreography!?!? Fucking Iron Fist, man.

I also think they missed an opportunity to make these shows "fit" into the larger MCU, and feel like a connected part of that shared universe. One of the most interesting things about the MCU movies is the shared universe, and taking that concept from the comics, and porting it over to movies. Other than a few little bits of dialogue here and there, these TV shows never really tried to do that.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Gary Sax, ChristopherMD

More
04 Dec 2018 11:32 #287428 by Mad_Adam
I agree with you. It feels like they are forcing the superhero topic for years now in both, movies and series and they end up with a mediocre product. I actually love superheroes and that is why I really can't say that those are great series.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, ChristopherMD

More
05 Dec 2018 14:30 #287535 by BillyBobThwarton
I am one third the way thru a 6 hour mini-series on AMC called Little Drummer Girl and it’s proving to be quite enjoyable. Plot revolves around Israeli intelligence recruiting an open minded English actress to infiltrate a Palestinian group responsible for various bombings. The Israeli agents are like Vic Mackey collaborating with the cops on the Wire. Seeing this actress open up to such an insane mission in a believable way is compelling as well. With parenting obligations wearing us down, it might be a few weeks until we have time to finish it but I feel like I’ve seen enough to strongly recommend it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, Cranberries, charlest

More
10 Dec 2018 14:44 #287858 by DarthJoJo
Paw Patrol. My boy goes hard on a show for two or three weeks before switching to the next. There’s been Curious George, Looney Tunes, Daniel Tiger, Give a Mouse a Cookie and Sesame Street streaks. I honestly enjoy some of them like Looney Tunes and Sesame Street, but I appreciate the rest so much more since seeing Paw Patrol.

In brief, Adventure Bay, a city of morons, depends on Ryder and the Paw Patrol for everything. Can’t find your lunch? Call the Paw Patrol. Your boat iced in the Arctic, thousands of miles away? Call the Paw Patrol. The pups assemble, and Ryder chooses a few to help him with the problem. They solve the problem.

You can see the toy advertising in every show as the dogs get a new vehicle or outfit. The writing is roughly 30% catchphrases and variants upon. They never ask the girl pup (pink, of course) on a mission even though her thing is flying, and she could get on the scene first to provide additional reconnaissance or just tell the idiot where their lunch was.

Maybe this is what Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles was like for my parents.

The evil mayor has a team of kittens that dress like the Paw Patrol. That makes me smile.
The following user(s) said Thank You: BillyBobThwarton

More
10 Dec 2018 15:20 #287859 by barrowdown
While my mini-human is aware of Paw Patrol. The only thing she is interested in watching is Mr. Roger's Neighborhood, which is perfect. No merchandising, slow pacing, and she can apply a lot of it to her own experience.

Prior to that, it would have been Reading Rainbow or Daniel Tiger's Neighborhood.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DarthJoJo

More
10 Dec 2018 15:32 #287860 by hotseatgames
I have almost finished Narcos: Mexico. This is an interesting spin-off of the 3 seasons of Narcos. It's a totally separate story with separate characters, but you should absolutely watch the main Narcos seasons before watching this, for multiple reasons, one of which is that the main series is better.

Narcos: Mexico takes a while to get going, but once it does, you'll be on board. This one stars Michael Pena, and he does a great job. There's also a coke-addicted pot farmer who has hair so dense it's like an alien entity.

Content warning, there isn't a lot of violence, but when there is.... man.

More
10 Dec 2018 15:51 #287863 by DarthJoJo
I hate how cheap the animation is on Daniel Tiger and how relentlessly it denatures everything to appeal to every possible culture (Halloween becomes Dress-Up Day where the children collect stickers and Thanksgiving is Thsnk You Day and lacks any feasting), but I can appreciate its lessons. It is alright to feel angry, Daniel, but no, you should not pop your claws and maul Miss Elaina for taking your spot at circle time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WadeMonnig

More
10 Dec 2018 17:50 #287870 by WadeMonnig
As much as I love Mr. Rodgers, I intensely dislike Daniel the bi polar tiger. Political correctness gone horribly wrong.

More
10 Dec 2018 17:56 #287871 by repoman

mc wrote:

repoman wrote: The Mighty Boosh is streaming on Amazon Prime.

Here is how I describe watching the Mighty Boosh:

First Viewing: What in the hell was that?
Second Viewing: I've no idea what's going on or why I'm smiling
Third Viewing: Laughing so hard I've got tears in my eyes.

The Mighty Boosh is genius!

Tony Harrison is my hero.

For a very very disturbing but mercifully short period my son kept talking like Old Greg. (He hadn't seen it or anything).

Also without seeing it my kids seem to do crimps all the time.

I'd be willing to bet your kids have seen crimps on the Cartoon The Regular Show which stole that bit. Think its The Regular Show...the one with the blue jay and his buddy.

More
10 Dec 2018 18:01 #287872 by repoman

DarthJoJo wrote: I hate how cheap the animation is on Daniel Tiger and how relentlessly it denatures everything to appeal to every possible culture (Halloween becomes Dress-Up Day where the children collect stickers and Thanksgiving is Thsnk You Day and lacks any feasting), but I can appreciate its lessons. It is alright to feel angry, Daniel, but no, you should not pop your claws and maul Miss Elaina for taking your spot at circle time.

Daniel the Tiger is the fucking worst. Gah! I hate it so damn much. I strive to keep The Boy (grandson) as insulated from that garbage as possible.

It is hard to find good kids television as so much of it is just steaming garbage.

Sarah and Duck is gold. It was streaming on Netflix but not anymore. At least I don't think so. Worth getting the DVD's though.

Story Bots is awesome. Lessons about how the world works along with humor and some catchy tunes.

Some vintage Sesame Street is cool too.

The thing to remember about Daniel the Tiger is that no matter how saccharine sweet he and his family may seem they did actually devour Mr.Rodgers and appropriate his home. No amount of singing songs about going to the bathroom is going to change the fact that he is still a dangerous man killing tiger.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bendgar, WadeMonnig, DarthJoJo

More
10 Dec 2018 19:39 #287877 by DarthJoJo

repoman wrote: The thing to remember about Daniel the Tiger is that no matter how saccharine sweet he and his family may seem they did actually devour Mr.Rodgers and appropriate his home. No amount of singing songs about going to the bathroom is going to change the fact that he is still a dangerous man killing tiger.

Is he though? The Tiger family is clearly the most dangerous in the neighborhood, but they still live under the heel of a despotic monarch who taunts those under him by announcing elections (but to choose whether the playground will get a new slide or swings and only allow the children to cast votes).

Speaking of the royals, Prince Wednesday is the absolute worst in the show. He’s always going on about his “rock” collection and dresses as friggin’ gold from said collection on Dress Up Day. To rub it in more, gold doesn’t have arms, so he makes others carry his stickers for him.

More
10 Dec 2018 19:48 #287878 by bendgar
Sarah and Duck are on Amazon/Prime.
I agree that it is fantastic and it does it all in 8 minutes.

I had many 8 minute naps when my son and I discovered it 6 years ago.

More
10 Dec 2018 20:35 #287882 by DarthJoJo

repoman wrote: Some vintage Sesame Street is cool too.

Sesame Street is still solid, but Elmo has kind of ruined it. I don’t have any issues with him as a character. The problem is when every character is Elmo because he’s their most marketable personality. There’s a girl Elmo in Abby Cadabby, and the adults all act like children. It was so refreshing when Gordon showed up for a scene to set everyone straight.

Elmo and Abby get so much screen time it takes away from the show’s deep bench. There are all the classic characters, and Murray and Rosita are no slouches. Just stop pushing the three-year-olds.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.603 seconds