× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What TV SHOWS are you watching?

More
06 Jan 2019 21:25 #289325 by Shellhead
Still too much time on my hands while the job search continues, though I just had an okay interview on Thursday, and have another one coming up on Tuesday. So I have continued to check out seasons of tv from the library to binge in between answering ads.

I watched Killjoys season one maybe a year ago, and it was moderately entertaining action/sci-fi. The main characters are bounty hunters, but the show soon switches course to dealing with the corporate and political machinations of the terraformed planets and moons of the local solar system. It's somewhat like Firefly with more action and worse writing, though the three main characters do have some degree of charisma and acting ability. So in a typical episode there might be one or two good scenes and maybe a great line or two, and the rest is more mediocre. Then I started to binge season two but life stuff happened and I didn't get through it. So I finally checked out season two to finish, as well as season three. Same. Some good stuff mixed in with a lot of average stuff. I would watch seasons four and five if they are free and I have plenty of free time, but otherwise I wouldn't bother.

I am currently watching the cartoon Mike Tyson Mysteries, and really enjoying it. The opening credits position the show as a hybrid of Scooby Doo and Jonny Quest, but the humor is comparable to Venture Brothers, only with less mockery of homosexuals. Mike Tyson does his own voice acting, and he must have a great sense of humor to endure so many jokes at his expense. Like a character questioning his literacy, or the occasional scenes where he punches people for ridiculous reasons. The show starts out okay funny, worth a smile or slight chuckle, but eventually is delivering occasional laugh out loud moments. The mysteries at hand are nicely varied and often unexpected, like when the first episode included critiques of the writing style of both Cormac McCarthy and John Updike. The humor is definitely adult and there is some profanity. Overall, it's a good show and worth at least a try.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Jan 2019 16:22 - 07 Jan 2019 16:32 #289378 by RobertB
Video with my daughter, pt: 2. She was suffering from some stomach flu that's going around, which I sincerely hope I don't get because it looks rough. Mom had to go out of town and Dad, surfing on Netflix, decided he wanted to watch Lucifer. I knew it was Satan slumming with humanity, but I didn't realize it was also a cop show a'la Castle or Sleepy Hollow. I guess it could be worse - the actor in the title role plays it well, and the rest of the cast isn't horrible. The show's high-concept roots are showing, but the four episodes I watched were entertaining.
Last edit: 07 Jan 2019 16:32 by RobertB.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WadeMonnig

More
11 Jan 2019 04:49 #289774 by ThirstyMan

Jackwraith wrote: About halfway through Trotsky on Netflix. I like it because it's an opportunity to teach my girlfriend about a lot of early 20th-century radical politics and contrasting viewpoints. It has good production quality. I can't say that there are any performances that stand out. They've taken a certain amount of creative license with Trotsky's overall character, too, since he's being played as far more the egotist than most of his writing and contemporaneous accounts would indicate. It's worth a look-see if you don't mind subtitles (plus Russian voiceover when they're speaking Spanish in the Mexico City scenes) and/or have any interest in the history.

Mmm I rapidly gave up with this, especially as I found out that it is the 'favoured' version of history that Putin's government likes. They like to portray Trotsky as basically an evil guy whose motivations are nothing like the actual historical record but revolve around sex, greed and being evil. The character and motivations of Trotsky are interesting but I guarantee they are far more complex than this. The actual politics seem to be largely left out and his brilliant speeches reduced to soundbites. Trotsky, BTW, did not order the killing of the Romanovs (which is a highly contentious subject in current Russia). Of course, he never met his killer before the assassination either but this is minor compared to the other travestys made in this series.

Not very enjoyable even in Russian (which I can speak). More of a semi propaganda thing for Putin.
The following user(s) said Thank You: siberianhusky, Colorcrayons

More
11 Jan 2019 08:06 #289776 by Jackwraith

ThirstyMan wrote: The character and motivations of Trotsky are interesting but I guarantee they are far more complex than this. The actual politics seem to be largely left out and his brilliant speeches reduced to soundbites. Trotsky, BTW, did not order the killing of the Romanovs (which is a highly contentious subject in current Russia). Of course, he never met his killer before the assassination either but this is minor compared to the other travestys made in this series.

Having read everything the man ever wrote (or that has been preserved, anyway), I'm pretty familiar with him. (I was SWP for a long time.) So, yeah, it's very popularized, overdramatic and, like I said, presents him as something of a megalomaniac with all of the negative implications that carries for his character and those around him. It definitely didn't get better as it went along. But, again, it was an opportunity to talk to my girlfriend about stuff ("Well, first off, this isn't how this happened...") that she otherwise has no grounding for, so I was fine with spend a few hours on it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ThirstyMan

More
12 Jan 2019 09:53 #289843 by stoic
I've been watching Starhunter Redux (2018) just released on Amazon Prime. It's an uncensored director's cut of the original series, supposedly the way that it was meant to be watched. I watched this series way-back-when, but, I don't remember any of it. It seems to be classic low-budget scifi with memorable characters in the tradition of Blake's 7 and a precursor to Firefly. Was Firefly before or after? I can't remember. I do remember Michael Paré in the Streets of Fire of fire movie--it had one of the best axe-on-axe fight scenes ever filmed that occurred between him and Willem Dafoe's character. I wonder what happened to his career?

More
12 Jan 2019 11:13 - 12 Jan 2019 11:14 #289852 by RobertB
stoic wrote:

I do remember Michael Paré in the Streets of Fire of fire movie--it had one of the best axe-on-axe fight scenes ever filmed that occurred between him and Willem Dafoe's character. I wonder what happened to his career?

Looks like his career is going just fine. :)

When I first started at my current job way back when, a coworker had a collection of a couple of hundred DVDs that he kept at work, as a mini-library for us. They were all direct-to-DVD dramas and comedies, not Interstellar Kickboxer VII, but stuff like Jason's Letter . I think Michael Pare is making a pretty good living in movies like that.
Last edit: 12 Jan 2019 11:14 by RobertB.

More
12 Jan 2019 12:20 #289855 by stoic
You're right. IMDB shows he's quite active. And, I see that he was in a movie that I saw and didn't realize he was in it: Bone Tomahawk.

More
13 Jan 2019 20:40 #289926 by Hadik
Killing Eve with Sandra Oh is a lot of fun. We are two episodes in and the writing is good, the acting is great and the premise is entertaining. A female gov agent stumbles onto the path of an elite female international assasin. Once the assassin discovers she is being tracked she starts hunting the agent. I’ve never been a big Sandra Oh fan, but I now see why people like her.

More
13 Jan 2019 23:41 #289935 by hotseatgames
I just watched the first 2 episodes of season 3 of True Detective. It's off to a strong start; the episodes are slow and brooding, as you might expect.

More
14 Jan 2019 02:08 #289937 by Scott_F
Once again I signed up for a free trial of Starz and instantly was disappointed. I'm not a huge Neil Gaiman fan but have enjoyed most of the stuff I've read. American Gods was pretty trashy from the start after about 20 minutes. The wife raised an eyebrow at it and I had to agree.

Vida, a show about latina women in LA, was just as trashy with nonsensical sex scenes minutes into the show. A while back we tried watching the Kelsey Grammer show about a Chicago politician and it was just as awful. And I'm all for trashy at times when it makes sense, like Altered Carbon or Tell Me You Love Me.

Sex Education on netflix has been surprisingly good. Gillian Anderson is always awesome and the main character does a great job of awkward nerdy teenager.

More
14 Jan 2019 09:18 - 14 Jan 2019 09:40 #289949 by Grudunza

hotseatgames wrote: I just watched the first 2 episodes of season 3 of True Detective. It's off to a strong start; the episodes are slow and brooding, as you might expect.

Yeah, but almost too slow and too brooding. And too much in the same vein as season 1, which this already feels far inferior to, unfortunately. It also seems to be a take on the West Memphis Three story, which, okay, that's an interesting story, but I just heard a long podcast series about that and so at least for me this seems kind of redundant to that.

People bagged on TD season 2, and yes, it wasn't as good as that phenomenal first season, but at least it felt more fresh and different and energetic than this does right now.
Last edit: 14 Jan 2019 09:40 by Grudunza.

More
14 Jan 2019 09:25 #289951 by BaronDonut

Grudunza wrote: Yeah, but almost too slow and too brooding.

Maybe true, but even if the rest of the show is just beautifully lit landscape shots and Mahershala Ali dramatically stooping to look at footprints that will be enough for me.

More
14 Jan 2019 09:45 #289957 by charlest
I haven't watched it yet but I'll absolutely take a poor man's season 1. I've rewatched that season three times over the years, and it's absolutely magic. I'm willing to accept less than that.

Started watching Barry last night and was very impressed. Pretty hilarious at times. We also burned through The Bodyguard this past week and that was fantastic. Reminded me of Homeland a bit but it was much better than Homeland's last few seasons.

More
14 Jan 2019 15:06 #289985 by DarthJoJo
So. The Catskills episodes of Mrs. Maisel. Are those a satire or fond nostalgia or what? The festivities, the forced frivoloty, further alliteration? It was a hell for which you pay your own good money, right? But Midge was genuinely excited about the initials dance, the staff treated Susie well and the doctor only became sympathetic after his return. I don’t know what to think.

Also. When did Chuck become buffer than Captain Awesome?

More
19 Jan 2019 22:23 #290289 by Ah_Pook

Hadik wrote: Killing Eve with Sandra Oh is a lot of fun. We are two episodes in and the writing is good, the acting is great and the premise is entertaining. A female gov agent stumbles onto the path of an elite female international assasin. Once the assassin discovers she is being tracked she starts hunting the agent. I’ve never been a big Sandra Oh fan, but I now see why people like her.

My wife and I watched through the season of this last week and both loved it. Tonally it's all over the place, but it works. Great cast and acting, and it's pointed in very interesting directions for season 2.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hadik

Moderators: Gary SaxFrohike
Time to create page: 0.372 seconds