October 09, 2023
2296 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2511 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What TV SHOWS are you watching?

More
22 Feb 2019 12:47 #292915 by hotseatgames
I watched the first episode of a Japanese show on Netflix called Smoking. I don't know why it's called that. It's about a crew of assassins who have a signature style of cutting off the tattoos of their targets.

While the premise might sound interesting, I found the result to be a wannabe-Dexter show with less-interesting characters.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Feb 2019 13:21 - 25 Feb 2019 13:21 #293005 by Joebot
The season 3 finale of True Detective aired last night. Overall, I thought the season was pretty good. Nowhere near the heights of season 1, but based on the interviews with creator Nic Pizzolato that have been airing after each episode ... season 1 was probably a crazy "lightning in a bottle" fluke. Pizzolato comes off like a pretentious douchebag in those interviews. He seems very impressed with his own cleverness when it comes to episode titles, and he delights in explaining them to you, the poor dumb viewer.

Anyway, the finale was 20 minutes too long, but satisfying for the most part. The show had some weird plot threads that either got dropped or cut, but nothing too distracting (Tom and Roland's relationship being one in particular). I was kind of surprised by the lack of any big, shocking reveals or twists in the finale. I had my own theory after last week's episode, and it turns out ... I was pretty much right on the money. The way they finally solved everything (giant exposition dump sitting around a suspect's kitchen table) was super lame.

One GIGANTIC complaint -- why hire Michael fucking Rooker, and then waste him by using him in ONE scene, that ended up being irrelevant anyway?? What a huge waste.

Of perhaps even more exciting news, HBO aired a "here's what's coming in 2019" trailer before the show. Somehow I had no idea that HBO is adapting Philip Pullman's "His Dark Materials" trilogy. How did I miss that? I'm actually reading "The Golden Compass" to my son right now (having read it to my oldest daughter many years ago). The Nicole Kidman movie was fucking trash, so here's hoping HBO can do something cool with one of my all-time favorite books.
Last edit: 25 Feb 2019 13:21 by Joebot.

More
25 Feb 2019 13:36 #293007 by Colorcrayons

RolandHemisphere wrote: The problem with living through the "Golden Age" of television, is that we have a lot more mediocre television to wade through to get to the truly great stuff. And the truly great stuff is as rare as it ever was.

I wonder if there's a parallel to our current "golden age" of board games? I guess we'll never know.

I always thought the golden age was right before the writers strike in 2007, when the beginning of split seasons based on paranoia about another strike.

Some notable television has came out since then, but there were a lot of programs that made you think we would finally be awash in smarter programming. Pushing Daisies as merely one example that was a casualty of those circumstances.

It feels like we have been trying to heal from that strike ever since.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RolandHemisphere

More
25 Feb 2019 13:37 #293008 by hotseatgames
I thought season 3 was pretty good. I liked how even the detectives admitted to not feeling like they had great closure. :D

More
25 Feb 2019 14:39 #293011 by Sagrilarus

Michael Barnes wrote: I lasted about 25 minutes with Russian Doll.

A bit farther than me. It struck me as looking to check all the boxes. Even had the obligatory scene with the Brooklyn Bridge in the background, as if the rest of the country gives a damn.

I think I'm pretty much done with the looping thing. Don't know why shows continue to come out about it.

Umbrella Academy has been good. My one son and I are seven shows in. I'm always luke-warm on sitting down to another episode, and then really enjoy it.

Last call -- anyone else watch Cardinal? I know I know, no superpowers. But you have to watch SOME old fashioned tv shows now and again.

More
25 Feb 2019 14:43 #293012 by Sagrilarus

Colorcrayons wrote: I always thought the golden age was right before the writers strike in 2007, when the beginning of split seasons based on paranoia about another strike.

20 years back I saw an interview with Neil Simon where he said that there was a huge demand for good content from all of the networks (and this was back around '99 when there were many less than there are now) and that there simply wasn't an increase in talented writers. The result was that the networks had to dip deeper down into the mediocre to fill their slots. Every network had their A-grade material, but no network could hold a killer evening lineup because the talent was too stretched.

More
25 Feb 2019 14:51 #293014 by Shellhead
I am re-watching American Gods, season 1. I'm a fan of Neil Gaiman's writing, but didn't find this book compelling. Somehow the show won me over anyway. I strongly dislike the opening credits and find the djinn subplot to be completely unnecessary. Some of the musical selections are great and some are highly questionable. But the casting is perfect, and the performances are strong. The story takes some interesting turns, and I can't wait to see what happens next, even though I have already watched this season once.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WadeMonnig

More
25 Feb 2019 14:55 #293015 by jeb
Replied by jeb on topic What TV SHOWS are you watching?
I still dip into CHILLING ADVENTURES OF SABRINA THE WITCH, which I really like. Again, it's a little short on the whole "making sense" thing, but Shipka is charming in the titular role, and I like the idea of the larger plot. The little side stories kind of suck, but I think those can be largely ignored. I'm worried they will fill the frame though, as the writers try to figure shit out (cf, LOST).

More
25 Feb 2019 15:16 #293016 by Gregarius

Shellhead wrote: I am re-watching American Gods, season 1. I'm a fan of Neil Gaiman's writing, but didn't find this book compelling. Somehow the show won me over anyway. I strongly dislike the opening credits and find the djinn subplot to be completely unnecessary. Some of the musical selections are great and some are highly questionable. But the casting is perfect, and the performances are strong. The story takes some interesting turns, and I can't wait to see what happens next, even though I have already watched this season once.

That's funny, because I just started watching it for the first time about a week ago, and I feel the same way about both Gaiman and this book. I'm only a few episodes in, but I love Ian McShane and Gillian Anderson so far. I'm kinda still on the fence about the show as a whole.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead

More
27 Feb 2019 18:03 #293143 by Michael Barnes
I started watching JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure on Hulu.

WOW.

Show is NUTS. It’s kind of a Victorian Shonen thing, which is weird in and of itself. Everyone says way too many (and too big) words, it’s comically stilted almost like the writing in the original Symphony of Night. There’s vampires that feed by sticking their fingers in your skin. A former knight of Mary, Queen of Scots that wields his sword with his hair. A friendly dog gets uppercutted in the first 5 minutes. There is a character named Robert E. O. Speedwagon. Hell, the bad guy is Dio Brando. He delivers a crushing blow to JoJo by KISSING HIS GIRLFRIEND first, in full manga motion lines style. There is tons of internal monologue. Hot pink and purple are used almost constantly. And each episode ends with the Yes song “Roundabout”.

I don’t even know what to make of this thing, but it is kind of better than all other shows. As anime, it is also free from a lot of the boring/stupid/offensive/juvenile crap that often characterizes the form.

Probably the best anime series I’ve watched since Cowboy Bebop. I have no idea if it gets worse over 5 seasons but I definitely want to see where it goes.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames, Colorcrayons, barrowdown

More
28 Feb 2019 00:02 #293155 by ubarose
I've been watching Kantaro: The Sweet Tooth Salaryman on Netflix.

It's about a guy who sneaks out of work to eat desserts. It is really hard to explain. It's calming, and silly, and surreal.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames

More
28 Feb 2019 07:49 #293159 by hotseatgames
I'll have to check that out. It reminds me of Sunshine Sento Saki, on Amazon Prime. He ditches work to go to the bath house and then have beer.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose

More
28 Feb 2019 12:35 #293198 by ubarose
Thanks. I will check out Sunshine Sento Saki

More
28 Feb 2019 12:37 #293200 by hotseatgames
I think I messed up the title, I believe it's Sunshine Sento Sake , with an e.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose

More
28 Feb 2019 12:40 #293201 by WadeMonnig
Second episode of Doom Patrol was weirder than the first. Makes me think they might not be able to sustain the first episode magic. Did make me check out the Titans series and I had my "Holy Shit! Hawk and Dove!" Moment.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.759 seconds