October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What TV SHOWS are you watching?

More
25 Nov 2015 14:33 #215906 by jeb
Replied by jeb on topic What TV SHOWS are you watching?
I am three (four?) episodes in on JESSICA JONES as well. Kilgrave is fucking gross and actually pretty much what I would expect of someone with his powers. I think Ritter is a little too damaged--it's tough to identify with a super strong, alcoholic, PTSD-suffering, PI, but I am trying. The show does a good job rounding out the side characters--they all seem at least a little nuanced, though sharky-lawyer is a bit tired, and picky addict neighbor is too. That said, Luke Cage is the fucking man.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Nov 2015 15:40 #215925 by Sagrilarus
Alright, so you all convinced me and I went to Netflix from work to add Jessica Jones to my watch list. I was coming in from a new network so it asked me to log in again, and when I did there was an ad for Jessica Jones before I could do anything. That was a little creepy.

S.

More
26 Nov 2015 01:23 #215956 by KingPut

sagrilarus wrote: Alright, so you all convinced me and I went to Netflix from work to add Jessica Jones to my watch list. I was coming in from a new network so it asked me to log in again, and when I did there was an ad for Jessica Jones before I could do anything. That was a little creepy.

S.

Just make sure the teenagers aren't around when you watch it.

More
26 Nov 2015 09:21 #215973 by Legomancer
My wife has been watching Veep, which is okay but a little to cringey and "everyone's awful" for me. But I'm totally okay with it because hoo boy Anna Chlumksy and of course Julia Louis-Dreyfus. Do they make out at any point?

More
26 Nov 2015 13:49 - 26 Nov 2015 13:49 #215988 by D_S
Replied by D_S on topic What TV SHOWS are you watching?

KingPut wrote:

sagrilarus wrote: Alright, so you all convinced me and I went to Netflix from work to add Jessica Jones to my watch list. I was coming in from a new network so it asked me to log in again, and when I did there was an ad for Jessica Jones before I could do anything. That was a little creepy.

S.

Just make sure the teenagers aren't around when you watch it.

Heh. My teenager already watched it, but at 16 he's a bit older than Sagrilarus's.*

It's a quality show. I'm through Episode 5 now. I've found all the characters to have some depth, and Jessica to be more of a compelling hero than Jeb gives her credit for. Maybe it's just the difference in the couple of episodes I've watched that he hasn't.
Last edit: 26 Nov 2015 13:49 by D_S. Reason: * ~ Also, I am a bad parent.

More
27 Nov 2015 10:39 #216032 by Shellhead
I have been watching Mission: Impossible, season four. This season features Peter Graves and Leonard Nimoy, but no Martin Landau or Barbara Bain. I watched a few episodes as a kid, and wanted to watch more, but I think it conflicted with something else on tv or maybe aired on Friday nights when my family often went out for dinner.

It has been disappointing. The concept of the show is cool, the theme song is one of the best ever, and the overall feel of the show is very stylish. But the plots strain credibility, the acting tends to be wooden, and there is often a surprising absence of dialogue. I sometimes get bored during episodes and have fallen asleep during some. Still, once in a while there is an interesting plot twist or a clever solution to a complication. I won't have time to finish the whole season before I need to get it back to the library, but for now I will keep watching.

More
27 Nov 2015 12:30 #216036 by ChristopherMD
I finished Jessica Jones. Outstanding all the way through.

More
27 Nov 2015 13:35 #216039 by stoic
We've been watching the second season of Fargo. This show has unforgettable characters. The period clothing, interior decorating, hairstyles, and music also add that extra touch.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries

More
27 Nov 2015 23:08 - 27 Nov 2015 23:16 #216063 by Sagrilarus
Jessica Jones' first eipisode didn't knock me out. It was beautifully done and acted, but the story just didn't grab me and the ending made me not want to continue. Don't want to know what happens next, prefer to avoid it.

I then watched the first episode of Carnivale and that one I'm looking to continue with.

There's something about Marvel stuff that seems to rub me the wrong way. I can't put my finger on it. I'd say it's the "main character is so damaged" motif that seems to pervade their stories, but the lead guy in Carnivale has issues too (and super-powers) but I'm interested in him. So it must be something else. I kind of dread that red Marvel logo when it comes on the screen. It's like every meal they serve is using the same spice that I don't have a taste for.

S.
Last edit: 27 Nov 2015 23:16 by Sagrilarus.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
28 Nov 2015 10:27 #216074 by hotseatgames
I have a rare opinion of not much caring for Carnivale. Watched it all but I found it pretty forgettable.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

More
28 Nov 2015 14:43 - 28 Nov 2015 14:43 #216081 by Jexik
I've been watching Breaking Bad. Partway through season 3. There have been some great moments and I almost always want to watch "one more episode," but every now and then I just think about how every person on the show is shitty except for Walt Jr. and that little red-headed kid who appeared in one episode.
Last edit: 28 Nov 2015 14:43 by Jexik.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

More
29 Nov 2015 20:03 #216120 by hotseatgames
I think I'm 8 in on Jessica Jones now. The story has gotten more interesting, and David Tennant is great. I could do without all the sex scenes. I don't know if they are just added for nerd wankery, or if they are actually trying to say something about female empowerment, but either way they are dumb.

More
30 Nov 2015 11:20 #216154 by Gregarius
I just finished episode 8 of Jessica Jones last night. I really like it, but I agree the sex scenes seem out of place. It's almost like they put them in just to say, "Look! Sex scenes! Aren't we edgy and adult now?" Other than that, they don't bother me.

David Tennant is awesome.
I don't care for heartless lawyer, true-blue cop, and over-protective best friend. They're too one-note and the story usually feels less interesting when they're on screen.

I do like that the majority of characters, major and minor, are women. It adds a poignant subtext to the obvious dark themes of the show.

More
30 Nov 2015 11:56 #216156 by ChristopherMD
Interesting fact and possible future season spoiler. Her friend Patsy "Trish" Walker
Warning: Spoiler!

More
30 Nov 2015 12:41 #216165 by Joebot

hotseatgames wrote: I think I'm 8 in on Jessica Jones now. The story has gotten more interesting, and David Tennant is great. I could do without all the sex scenes. I don't know if they are just added for nerd wankery, or if they are actually trying to say something about female empowerment, but either way they are dumb.

Sex is a great characterization tool, but it's also REALLY tricky to do well. Most shows just fall back on simple titillation (see: Game of Thrones). There's nothing really wrong with that, but it can be used for more effective storytelling. I think Jessica Jones does better than most shows, especially the Luke/Jessica scenes. Their abilities have isolated them from other people, but with each other, they've found a kindred spirit. That was my take on it anyway.

I'm ten episodes in, and I'm ready to pronouce Kilgrave the best Marvel villain to date. His lack of basic human empathy makes him terrifying ... but his humor makes him almost likable in the moment.

Full credit to Krysten Ritter for making Jessica a great character. She makes bad decision, she drinks too much, she's pricky and surly ... but I can't help rooting for her anyway.

Some of the show's sub-plots are a bit meandering, mostly with Carrie-Ann Moss' lawyer character. I also don't like the cop, Will, and I hope that storyline eventually pans out into something worth all the time we've spent with him.

I've only got three episodes left. I hope they can stick the landing ...

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.596 seconds