× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What TV SHOWS are you watching?

More
23 May 2019 02:17 #297524 by mc
Replied by mc on topic What TV SHOWS are you watching?
I haven't watched it yet, but I must say that when i read that they have just done it chronologically I raised an eyebrow. The trailer I've seen seems to capture some of the absurdity of the novel but that's probably a function of it being a collection of multiple scenes in quick succession.

Still want to see it, but not holding my breath. Let us know if it gets any better!
The following user(s) said Thank You: RolandHemisphere

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 May 2019 07:00 #297526 by Sagrilarus

RolandHemisphere wrote:

mc wrote: Anyone seen Clooney's Catch 22 yet? Any good?

I just finished the first episode, and I cannot tell if I'm misremembering Heller's novel or if

A ) The producers, George Clooney, Grant Heslov and Ellen Kuras, have a different understanding or zero understanding of the novel or

B ) They think they're Terrence Malick

They seem to have somehow missed the black comedy and broad satire that is Catch-22 -- the names, the slapstick, the absurd humor -- and have instead turned to The Thin Red Line as their inspiration and it's honestly puzzling to me.

I've always equated the novel with the like of Kubrik's Dr. Strangelove, Paths of Glory and even Altman's M*A*S*H, but this ain't that.

It's not bad, exactly, but I can't reconcile it as being an adaptation of Heller's Catch-22.

Am I missing something?

You know, I sort of suspected that from the ad on the lineup menu. It had a vibe to it. Thanks for the warning.

More
23 May 2019 07:02 - 23 May 2019 07:02 #297527 by Sagrilarus
By the way, I've been watching The Detour and laughing my fool head off. Jason Jones and Samantha Bee masterpiece.
Last edit: 23 May 2019 07:02 by Sagrilarus.

More
23 May 2019 10:00 #297531 by san il defanso
I have been watching Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood. I've never been much of an anime guy outside of Miyazaki movies, but I'm really enjoying it. I sometimes get a bit hazy about the world-building particulars, but I have really enjoyed the characters and the themes at play. Really slick animation too.

I also keep rewatching I Think You Should Leave. I've gone through the whole series like three times now. It's so hilarious. Quotes from it keep sneaking into our conversation. It's like a whole show of awkward situations that stop being awkward and become off-the-rails surreal. It stars Tim Robinson, who used to write for SNL and had a short-lived show called Detroiters on Comedy Central that I now want to check out.

More
24 May 2019 16:18 - 24 May 2019 16:18 #297622 by Rliyen
Finished the new season of Lucifer, and now heading into the new season of Bosch.
Last edit: 24 May 2019 16:18 by Rliyen.

More
24 May 2019 21:44 #297644 by n815e
I suggest giving Fullmetal Alchemist a shot ( non Brotherhood). It’s got more heart than Brotherhood and feels less rushed.

It’s one of my favorite shows of all time.

More
27 May 2019 20:23 #297718 by RolandHemisphere
Just finished the last episode of Barry, season two, and it's one of the most impressive shows on at the moment. HBO consistently brings interesting shows to the table, and occasionally some of the most engrossing and challenging in our "Golden Age." Barry succeeds at being a wolf in sheep's clothing that's, in turn, dressed up like a dog or something. It's twisty without it being gimmicky, and deep while being pulpy and cute while being violent as all get out.

It's brilliant.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, trif, hotseatgames, Gregarius, BillyBobThwarton

More
27 May 2019 23:42 #297721 by trif
I was genuinely on edge during the season final of Barry - that hasn't happened in a while.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RolandHemisphere

More
28 May 2019 01:42 #297722 by RolandHemisphere

trif wrote: I was genuinely on edge during the season final of Barry - that hasn't happened in a while.

Absolutely! Barry is completely unpredictable an earns every plot twist. It's fantastic. The only other show that gives me this much to chew on week after week is The Good Place.

More
28 May 2019 09:02 #297724 by mc
I realised I never got around to watching This Is England 90, the third series of the show about the nicest gang of skinheads you could hope to meet. So I'm rewatching the lot as it's all on youtube, starting with the film which came first.

There are indescribably harrowing scenes in it, and so much of it is so so grim, but all that stuff contrasts with those amazing moments of camaraderie and good humour among the characters. I'd forgotten that the tv series gets a little silly at times but perhaps that's needed - and realistic in a way, life can be bizarrre sometimes. And there are scenes that ring so amazingly true.

More
28 May 2019 13:24 #297736 by Gregarius

RolandHemisphere wrote:

trif wrote: I was genuinely on edge during the season final of Barry - that hasn't happened in a while.

Absolutely! Barry is completely unpredictable an earns every plot twist. It's fantastic. The only other show that gives me this much to chew on week after week is The Good Place.

What's amazing to me is how it can be both a thrilling suspense drama and a dark satiric comedy at the same time. It's just incredible.

More
30 May 2019 22:24 #297818 by Ah_Pook
Good Omens dropped a day early. The first episode was real solid. Great cast.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead

More
30 May 2019 22:32 #297819 by Shellhead
Starting over Memorial Day weekend, I rewatched the sequel to Band of Brothers: The Pacific. I consider Band of Brothers a 10, but The Pacific only rates a 7. Not as many characters, but most of them are unmemorable compared to the cast of Band of Brothers. High production values, great battle scenes, and lovely orchestral background music. But the lack of a focal point like Easy Company made The Pacific less compelling. Still worth the time if you are a WWII buff.
The following user(s) said Thank You: n815e, RolandHemisphere

More
30 May 2019 22:34 #297820 by Shellhead

Ah_Pook wrote: Good Omens dropped a day early. The first episode was real solid. Great cast.

I haven't read that book in ages, but it's good to hear that the show is decent. I might wait a while and then binge some episodes when I have a bloc of free time.

More
31 May 2019 02:04 #297826 by mc

Shellhead wrote: Starting over Memorial Day weekend, I rewatched the sequel to Band of Brothers: The Pacific. I consider Band of Brothers a 10, but The Pacific only rates a 7. Not as many characters, but most of them are unmemorable compared to the cast of Band of Brothers. High production values, great battle scenes, and lovely orchestral background music. But the lack of a focal point like Easy Company made The Pacific less compelling. Still worth the time if you are a WWII buff.

I watched it when it came out and thought the same.

An old friend if mine was in it. I don't really remember the details too well but he was a young guy who cracked under pressure in a fire fight.

Moderators: Gary SaxFrohike
Time to create page: 0.304 seconds