October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2508 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What TV SHOWS are you watching?

More
19 Jul 2019 13:22 #299855 by Shellhead

charlest wrote: Westworld is only similar to the original in very broad strokes. I dig the show though, despite its flaws.

I enjoyed the first several episodes of Westworld season one, and it briefly reached perfection when the player piano started in on "Fake Plastic Trees." Since then, I have seen mounting flaws, all the way through the first half of the second season. I am reminded of how Spartacus lost its way after the gladiator rebellion, but the real problem is J.J. Abrams and his goddamned Mystery Box theory of writing. Abrams firmly believes that mystery is more important than knowledge. In actual practice, it means that he doesn't want his writers to plan out an overall storyline so much as he wants them to make it up as they go along. The result is some thrilling scenes and shocking plot twists that often fail to add up to a coherent story. His writers tend to be very good at character beats while dismissing logic and continuity as bothersome trivia. His endings tend to disappoint.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample, mezike, charlest, Gregarius, BillyBobThwarton

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Jul 2019 14:56 #299867 by hotseatgames
Finished season 3 of Stranger Things. There was a stretch in the middle that I was enjoying pretty well, but I have to say I find this series falls squarely in the "average" camp.

More
19 Jul 2019 16:02 #299868 by RobertB

hotseatgames wrote: Finished season 3 of Stranger Things. There was a stretch in the middle that I was enjoying pretty well, but I have to say I find this series falls squarely in the "average" camp.

I'd agree with that. If you liked Stranger Things 1 & 2, you'll probably like 3. If you didn't, nothing in 3 is going to make you change your mind.

More
19 Jul 2019 19:18 #299878 by mc
Replied by mc on topic What TV SHOWS are you watching?
I liked that it wasn't just more of the same, that it went for a bit more humour, even at the expense of characters not quite keeping with the previois series, and that the bad guys were just Russians doing something for the hell of it. It is trying to capture a sense of the 80s, right?

For me, I could tell what kind of 80s thing the first series was going for, I could tell what kind of thing this one was going for, even if it was a bit different, a bit goofier. I can't even remember the 2nd one now, really, I don't know what "80s" thing it was doing.

More
23 Jul 2019 10:29 #299961 by Joebot
I enjoyed Stranger Things 3 a lot. Really fun and entertaining the whole way. Way better paced than season 2, which had that bizarre standalone El flashback episode that they dropped following a brutal cliffhanger in the previous episode. Granted, cliffhangers don't mean much in this modern streaming era, but it was still a dumb decision to drag the action to a screeching halt, tell a completely pointless and unrelated story, then try to pick back up where you left off. Thankfully season 3 was better than that.

My only complaint was that I wanted more of the Upside Down. I love alternate universes, and I think the design of the Upside Down is just wonderfully weird and creepy. Did we have even a single scene in the Upside Down this season?? I can't think of one.

I'm not sure that the world was clamoring for more Erica, but they gave it to us anyway. I thought her character was jarring and annoying, like the "sassy little sister" in a bad family 80's sitcom (maybe that's what they were aiming for). Robin was a delight though.

As for the Russian's motive in opening the gate, I assumed it was to capture Demogorgons. They showed the cage and the electric poker designed to capture the monsters. They even showed one in captivity in the post-credit scene. Seemed clear enough that's what they were after.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SebastianBludd, mc

More
23 Jul 2019 14:01 #299967 by dysjunct
Newest season of the Netflix reboot of QUEER EYE. Camp, flamboyance, plus lots of hugs and learning. Forgettable but entertaining.

Also TALES FROM THE CITY. Never read the books. Melodramatic. Needs more lasers and/or werewolves.

More
23 Jul 2019 15:58 #299972 by mezike
Everything needs more lasers and werewolves. Even Queer Eye.
The following user(s) said Thank You: dysjunct

More
23 Jul 2019 20:38 #299980 by Sagrilarus
My wife and I have been watching The Mick on Hulu and it has been frikkin' hilarious! I think it's finished its run. Did anyone see it when it was on broadcast?

More
28 Jul 2019 15:15 #300156 by hotseatgames
Two episodes into The Boys on Amazon Prime, and I am loving it. It is refreshing and different. Plus, Karl Fucking Urban.

The setup is that superheroes exist, they work for a corporation, and they are all assholes. They do not have good intentions, but there are some people out there who actively work against them. It's a cool show.

Note: This is some adult-level content.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WadeMonnig

More
29 Jul 2019 09:52 #300190 by Joebot

hotseatgames wrote: Two episodes into The Boys on Amazon Prime, and I am loving it. It is refreshing and different. Plus, Karl Fucking Urban.

The setup is that superheroes exist, they work for a corporation, and they are all assholes. They do not have good intentions, but there are some people out there who actively work against them. It's a cool show.

Note: This is some adult-level content.

I've only watched the pilot episode so far, but I enjoyed it. The idea of "superheroes in the real world, but they're assholes" is hardly new. But I think this show puts a new spin on the theme by focusing on corporate control and the cult of celebrity. People desperately want these people to be heroes, and their corporate overlords are willing to hide all their crimes and flaws in order to maintain that illusion. I especially liked the scene where the mayor of Baltimore hired a superhero to provide police protection for his city. The idea of privatizing law enforcement out to corporate-owned superheroes is an interesting premise.

I also finally started watching Good Omens, based on a Neil Gaiman novel. I love Gaiman's work, but for some reason, I never read this book. David Tennant is great in this.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
29 Jul 2019 10:39 #300194 by Sagrilarus
Why is it always Baltimore?

More
29 Jul 2019 11:19 #300201 by Joebot

Sagrilarus wrote: Why is it always Baltimore?

I know, right???

I had a fun time imagining what Bunk and McNulty would say when Mayor Carcetti introduced his new private superhero to the city of Baltimore.

More
29 Jul 2019 15:43 #300219 by Jackwraith
I wrote something after watching the first couple episodes of The Boys which is less than positive: dichotomouspurity.blogspot.com/2019/07/boys-will-be-boys.html

I've since watched two more episodes and it's improving, although I still wouldn't call it "compelling" or particularly exciting just yet. More later.

More
29 Jul 2019 16:02 #300221 by Gregarius
I'm about four episodes in on The Boys. It just doesn't work for me, but I'll watch through to the end anyway.

I think the ideas are good, but the execution is lacking. The dialog and characterization in particular are awful. The writers think they are being clever and deep and edgy, but it's really very thin and surface. When the actors try to sell it, it magnifies the problem.

They also don't seem to care about any internal consistency or logic regarding the supes' powers, but I suppose that's to be expected.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jpat

More
29 Jul 2019 16:30 #300223 by RobertB
I'm up to Ep. 7 of The Boys. It isn't the awesomest show ever, but I don't feel cheated. Subtlety definitely ain't its thing, but I think the producers are okay with that.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 1.139 seconds