October 09, 2023
2294 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2511 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What TV SHOWS are you watching?

More
29 Jul 2019 16:57 #300225 by Michael Barnes
My interest in anything to do with Garth Ennis ended promptly with Preacher #60.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Jul 2019 17:04 #300226 by Shellhead

Michael Barnes wrote: My interest in anything to do with Garth Ennis ended promptly with Preacher #60.

Ennis is one of my least favorite comic book writers. Preacher featured some bold ideas and a few great characters, but the story was often juvenile or even moronic. And that's the best I've seen from Ennis. The Preacher tv show is interesting in that it completely captures those great characters while ignoring or heavily adapting the source material. Based on preliminary reviews, I have better things to do with my time than watch The Boys.

More
29 Jul 2019 22:20 - 30 Jul 2019 11:02 #300245 by Sagrilarus
I'm too old to watch this show. Opens with machine guns and gore.

As best I can tell any "action" show has to have wide open machine guns now.

Plot delivered with a sledgehammer.

I finished the first episode but I had my finger on the Mute button the whole time to avoid waking the neighbors. Quiet passages and then sudden patches of huge noise.

Trying to decide if I'm going to continue. I've really had it with super powers, though I'll grant that this show is taking a very different approach. Someone watched The Incredibles and said, "hey, let's kick that up to an R rating and have some fun with it."
Last edit: 30 Jul 2019 11:02 by Sagrilarus.

More
30 Jul 2019 12:04 #300273 by Shellhead
Speaking of superhero shows on Amazon Prime, I finished watching season two of The Tick, and it was even better than the first season. The writing is very good, taking a comical premise and layering in some character development and some interesting plot twists. It's disappointing that the show didn't get a third season, but it only left a couple of hanging plot points and otherwise had a very good ending.

More
31 Jul 2019 13:09 #300303 by ThirstyMan
There is a, very hard to find, 2008 British TV show which postulates superheroes as assholes. One in particular is hated by most for being 'perfect'. Difference is, it was a comedy where the superheroes HQ was a pub. There are only 6 episodes. Rights are held by DIRECTTV in the US. Other than that, in the UK, only choice is DVD.

No Heroics includes these ideas in the superhero world:

Sidekick taxes - all superheroes have to pay sidekick taxes even if they choose not to have a sidekick; these taxes are to compensate those affected when a sidekick makes a mistake such as blowing up a post office.

The SPA - the Super Powers Authority deals with abuse of powers cases, dealing out punishments including community service, such as mentoring an unruly sidekick.

Anti-cape leagues - parallel to neo-Nazi groups in the real world, anti-cape groups (such as the Cape Haters of Great Britain) are prejudiced against superheroes and tell "capeist" jokes, and sometimes go around "cape-bashing".

The Fortress - the bar of choice for the protagonists where most of the show takes place, with three fundamental rules: "No Masks, No Powers and No Heroics".

More
31 Jul 2019 13:40 #300305 by engineer Al

ThirstyMan wrote: There is a, very hard to find, 2008 British TV show which postulates superheroes as assholes.

Sounds AWESOME! I wonder if I can find it on YouTube?

More
31 Jul 2019 13:43 #300306 by engineer Al
Well I found it, but there only seem to be 2 episodes available. Looking forward to checking it out.

The following user(s) said Thank You: ThirstyMan, Gregarius

More
01 Aug 2019 07:23 #300326 by ThirstyMan
Unfortunately, they are both really bad uploads. Couldn't find anything better except a DVD on amazon UK.

More
16 Aug 2019 23:59 #300870 by Jackwraith
Second season of Mindhunter was released today. This series might be the best thing Netflix has ever done. All of the characters are fully realized humans with flaws and issues and they're all carrying attitudes that are contemporary with the late 70s. Plus, they're weaving the story in with contemporary events nicely and the first three episodes (all we've watched so far) are all directed by Fincher. Just great stuff.

More
17 Aug 2019 01:43 #300874 by hotseatgames
I will definitely watch season 2 of Mindhunter. BUT it is NOT the best thing Netflix has done. Number 1 is without a doubt Bloodline, and number 2 is Dead to Me, which interestingly enough has one of the same actors.

TLDR if you haven’t watched Bloodline, remedy that.

More
23 Aug 2019 11:35 #301049 by Shellhead
Fans of the recent HBO Chernobyl show should find this alarming:

www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-49446235

"Russia floating nuclear power station sets sail across Arctic"

More
26 Aug 2019 10:56 #301087 by Shellhead
I succumbed to temptation and watched The Boys. I went in with low expectations and ready to drop it after one episode, under the assumption that it was going to be a crude, dark, violent, misogynistic parody of superhero comics. Specifically, it looked like we were getting yet another evil version of the Justice League of America. I was only half-right and ended up watching all 8 episodes over the weekend.

The Boys delivers a setting where high-profile superheroes all work for a major corporation. Their crimefighting is financed by extensive merchandising, including action figures, movies, commercials, and public speaking engagements. There don't seem to be any real supervillains, just the same kinds of normal criminals that we have in our own world. There are two major POV characters. One is an optimistic young female superhero who has just been invited to join the elite superteam known as The Seven. The Seven is clearly inspired by the Justice League, featuring versions of Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Aquaman, and the Flash, as well as a recently retired version of the Green Lantern. The other POV character is an ordinary young man who loses his girlfriend to a tragic accident involving a superhero. They both soon discover that the Seven and their corporate sponsors have some dark secrets. The cast is a bit large, but each character is memorable and interesting.

The Boys is often as dark and violent as I expected. There is some nudity and plenty of profanity. But I was surprised at the depth of the characters, even the most corrupt and vile ones. These characters have hopes, flaws, fears that drive them, and when their agendas collide, the emotional impact is tangible. The writing is good, and I suspect better than the original comics by Garth Ennis. The acting is very good, enough to really sell the story. The story itself is quite entertaining, with all kinds of promising directions for what might happen next. Karl Urban dominates his every scene, and Elizabeth Shue is great. Simon Pegg plays a minor role well, disappearing into part enough that I didn't even recognize him immediately. John Doman (best known as Deputy Commissioner Bill Rawls from The Wire) gets a scene and nails it. Co-producer Seth Rogen even makes a cameo appearance as himself. But aside from Urban the real stars are the younger actors playing the POV roles. Their stories are crucial for showing the setting and driving the story, and their performances made me care about the show.

There will be at least one more season of The Boys, because episode eight ends on quite a cliffhanger.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames, WadeMonnig

More
26 Aug 2019 15:12 #301094 by Jackwraith
My initial reaction to The Boys was not especially positive: dichotomouspurity.blogspot.com/2019/07/boys-will-be-boys.html

However, i've now made it through episode 6 and it has improved. I'm not to the "You gotta see this!" point and it's certainly for a niche audience, but it's not as pedestrian as I first thought.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, Gary Sax

More
26 Aug 2019 15:34 #301095 by Shellhead
I really appreciate the writing on The Boys. No exposition dumps. Whenever possible, the writing shows instead of tells you what is happening. There are many minor details that flesh out the setting, but are delivered in passing for the viewer to notice or ignore. There are various references to the past that remain fleeting references instead of leading to heavy-handed flashbacks. The overall effect gives the setting a natural, lived-in texture without getting bogged down into actual continuity. In a way, the setting of The Boys feels more like a fully-developed setting than the movie franchises of either Marvel or DC.

More
26 Aug 2019 16:16 #301097 by hotseatgames
I enjoyed The Boys, and look forward to more. But it can't be overstated that if Karl Urban wasn't on it, I may have never even given it a chance. Everything he is in is made better for it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, Gary Sax

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 1.667 seconds