October 09, 2023
2506 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2705 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What TV SHOWS are you watching?

More
04 Nov 2019 14:14 #303098 by Michael Barnes
And I'm probably completely wrong here, but I suspect that thing wasn't actually a dildo. I know, I know, it's heavily implied that it is, but I just have a feeling that's a misdirect for a laugh.

I read an interview earlier today with one of the writers (actually a woman). It is
100% a working, vibrating replica of Dr. Manhattan’s penis. It started out as a writer’s room joke and Lindelof and co. thought it was funny so it went in. And the episode title is a intended to reference cock and balls via the Devo song.

Gee, that’s just like how Watchmen was written wasn’t it, writer room jokes...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Nov 2019 15:57 #303102 by Joebot

Michael Barnes wrote: And I'm probably completely wrong here, but I suspect that thing wasn't actually a dildo. I know, I know, it's heavily implied that it is, but I just have a feeling that's a misdirect for a laugh.

I read an interview earlier today with one of the writers (actually a woman). It is
100% a working, vibrating replica of Dr. Manhattan’s penis. It started out as a writer’s room joke and Lindelof and co. thought it was funny so it went in. And the episode title is a intended to reference cock and balls via the Devo song.

Gee, that’s just like how Watchmen was written wasn’t it, writer room jokes...

For sure, it's a giant dildo. As jokes go, it was pretty dumb. They could easily have skipped that, and just shown Laurie going next door to Detective Petey's room.

I liked the episode a lot because (except for the aforementioned giant blue dildo), it was funny as hell. The show really needed a jolt of humor, as it was pretty somber to this point. Laurie was great, with a killer deadpan sense of humor. I especially liked her scene with Looking Glass. "So, it's a racism detector."

I'm very curious what the purpose of the Dr. Manhattan phone booth is. Why do people call him?? It's not clear at all what the general populace thinks of Dr. M. Is he viewed as a god, and the phone booths are therefore sold as a way to directly call "God" with your questions or problems? Does he ever respond?? It's a fascinating premise, and I'm curious to see more about it.

More
04 Nov 2019 16:17 #303103 by jeb
Replied by jeb on topic What TV SHOWS are you watching?
She used to fuck God.

Let's give her some slack on her choice of toys, guys.

More
04 Nov 2019 17:35 - 04 Nov 2019 17:42 #303108 by Michael Barnes
Heavy spoiler-
Warning: Spoiler!
Last edit: 04 Nov 2019 17:42 by Michael Barnes.

More
04 Nov 2019 17:49 #303109 by DarthJoJo
I’m just more and more confused as to who HBO’s Watchmen is for. After the first episode, I felt there was no compelling reason for it to be based on the graphic novel. After the third, I have no idea how someone not well acquainted with the source could follow along. Not that I think enjoying Moore and Gibbons’ work means you’ll like this. Take Laurie Blake. She was probably the weakest character in the graphic novel in that I’d struggle to explain her personality in a sentence or two, but Jean Smart feels nothing like her. Now she has her mother’s love for her groupies and her father’s dark sense of humor. Not that she’s a bad character, but I’m struggling keeping these incarnations aligned, like the Luke of Last Jedi and the original trilogy.

Disney Star Wars is actually a good comparison, I think. It’s not a stretch to call the new trilogy a “remix” of the first, as Lindelof seems to prefer here. You see the repeated stories and characters and themes, just with a twist. But it’s still the same stuff. I’m more okay with that in Star Wars as it strived for more foundational, mythological elements, but Watchmen was so singular. It’s not enough to just tell it again.

And we’re a third of the way through a series that hasn’t gotten past the first or second issue of the comic. Bleh.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead

More
04 Nov 2019 18:08 #303111 by jeb
Am I missing something? Is the argument that this story is the story from WATCHMEN 1-12? Because that seems weird given that the original story is an historical event frequently mentioned in this show. I know there were other comics, but those never got on my conscious radar to any degree,

I actually really like that the story assumes you've read and are familiar with the WATCHMEN universe. I'd much rather this than some spoonfed BS that could be resolved by folks reading one of the most foundational works of literature of the last 25 years.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gregarius

More
04 Nov 2019 18:16 #303114 by Shellhead
I haven't been watching HBO's Watchmen yet, but I suspect that the remix reference is meant as defensive cover for Lindelof when this show inevitably deviates from the setting established by Moore. That might be more tolerable if it ends up being a reboot done by Dr. Manhattan after the events of the original story, instead of just Lindelof invoking artistic license.

More
04 Nov 2019 18:16 #303115 by DarthJoJo

jeb wrote: Am I missing something? Is the argument that this story is the story from WATCHMEN 1-12? Because that seems weird given that the original story is an historical event frequently mentioned in this show. I know there were other comics, but those never got on my conscious radar to any degree,

You can see the repetitions: a murder mystery centered on a man who isn’t all he seems, escalating tensions between major societal players, a seemingly-botched assassination attempt. The only major new element is substituting American racial history for fears of nuclear war.

More
04 Nov 2019 18:22 - 04 Nov 2019 18:22 #303116 by Jackwraith
No. It's expressly not the original series. When Lindelof had spoken about it before, he said it was supposed to take place some years after the series/film. I don't know what he means by "remix", but my understanding is that it was never intended to be a "reboot". It was just a series told in the same world that would inevitably have interactions with Veidt and Manhattan and the rest of the crew because they are who they are.

But, again, this is why Moore said some things aren't meant to be carried on. There's nothing really to continue from the original work. The joke has been told, as it were. Placing it in that universe is just a long-form version of clickbait.
Last edit: 04 Nov 2019 18:22 by Jackwraith.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WadeMonnig

More
04 Nov 2019 18:42 - 04 Nov 2019 19:18 #303117 by jeb

Jackwraith wrote: But, again, this is why Moore said some things aren't meant to be carried on. There's nothing really to continue from the original work. The joke has been told, as it were. Placing it in that universe is just a long-form version of clickbait.

Yeah, but Moore is an asshole. Why do we need to listen to him? The whole WATCHMEN world is fascinating. I don't mind spending time there. It's been pointed out there's been nothing new under the sun for about 2300 years now.

Here's what I get from WATCHMEN that I don't get elsewhere telecinematically, at least:
  • What if God was a dude that walked around naked and worked for the government for a while and then didn't?
  • What if costumed heroes were a thing that happened? Like actually talented pop stars. They are rare, but they are extant.
  • What if 3M people were murdered and this was a debateably moral act?

Let me know where else this is explored, I'll try those out.
Last edit: 04 Nov 2019 19:18 by jeb.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gregarius

More
04 Nov 2019 20:03 #303118 by Greg Aleknevicus

Josh Look wrote: I’m also a handful of episodes into What We Do In the Shadows. I hate to say it, I like it better than the movie. Where I feel the movie wears thin in areas, the half hour format works better for the concept than feature length. The new characters are great. I literally can’t stop laughing the entire time Colin the energy vampire is on screen.

I've watched up to episode 7 but had the exact opposite reaction -- while I'm enjoying the series, I like it far less than the movie, primarily because I don't like the characters (especially Colin). I'll finish the series, but the second season I'm hoping for is Wellington Paranormal.

More
04 Nov 2019 22:35 #303119 by Jackwraith

jeb wrote: Yeah, but Moore is an asshole. Why do we need to listen to him?

Because he's making a good point about stories having a beginning, middle, and an end. The Watchmen had that. It's done. Trying to carry it on is just a more expensive version of fanfic bullshit.

jeb wrote: It's been pointed out there's been nothing new under the sun for about 2300 years now.

This is the nihilist defense of every idiot since time out of mine, you mean? I expected better.

jeb wrote: What if God was a dude that walked around naked and worked for the government for a while and then didn't?

Try watching any Superman film, especially the retro "gritty" ones that borrowed this same concept, like Dawn of Justice.

jeb wrote: What if costumed heroes were a thing that happened? Like actually talented pop stars. They are rare, but they are extant.

Are you fucking kidding me? Have you never heard of Wild Cards? The Boys? Multiple Marvel films, all of which have been trending toward the "how would it work in our world?!"

jeb wrote: What if 3M people were murdered and this was a debateably moral act?

Depending on your perspective on modern society, any of a host of post-apocalyptic stories and around half a dozen Twilight Zone episodes. But actually questioning whether the act was a moral one basically means you didn't get it, so you might want to try reading that again.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

More
04 Nov 2019 22:42 #303121 by hotseatgames
Perhaps people need to relax and realize that even if they make 1000 more Watchmen films or shows, those don't make the original work any less amazing. If you feel that way, I have some bad news for you regarding Disney and Star Wars.

More, for people who want more, is fine. If you don't want more, don't have more.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gregarius, BillyBobThwarton

More
04 Nov 2019 22:47 #303122 by DarthJoJo

jeb wrote:

• What if 3M people were murdered and this was a debateably moral act?
  • I misread this as 3M as in Minnesota Mining and Manufacturing. Still a more interesting hook for the second episode than “How did this old man escape his handcuffs? Why did he come back? Why did Ozymandias crush that tomato?”

More
    04 Nov 2019 23:14 #303123 by trif
    The second season of Wellington Paranormal is starting in Oz at the end of November. Really looking forward to it.
    The following user(s) said Thank You: Greg Aleknevicus

Moderators: Gary Sax
    Time to create page: 0.545 seconds