October 09, 2023
2488 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2689 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What TV SHOWS are you watching?

More
06 Dec 2019 12:02 #304823 by Shellhead
Yeah, there was probably a little too much of Ziggy and Nick in season two. I've only seen those actors in one other show each. The guy who played Ziggy played a similar character in Low Winter Sun, so I think that he probably has a very limited range to the point where he is just playing himself. Some very popular actors have built successful careers on playing themselves, but they weren't annoying like Ziggy. The guy who played Nick is also in American Gods, and he's great. So at least in his case, the writing seems to be the difference. Either way, season two could have dropped a few of their scenes to give other characters more time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bfkiller

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Dec 2019 13:52 #304826 by ChristopherMD
Sheeeeeeeeeeeit.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bfkiller, Msample, Josh Look, BillyBobThwarton

More
06 Dec 2019 15:41 - 07 Dec 2019 11:13 #304834 by Msample
I've never understood the lack of love for Season 2 of THE WIRE. Sure it added more characters to keep track of, but I think it did an excellent job of showing how far the drug story could spread . Frank Sobotka was a sort of tragic criminal hero in that sure he did the dirt, but all in the name of preserving his union.

I do agree that the Ziggy storyline was tiresome at times, but no worse than the endless scenes of Bubbles getting high. The actor is pretty one note - he was in GENERATION KILL as well as a recurring role on BOSCH and those characters are pretty much riffs on Ziggy.

One thing that was interesting was that on just about any other show, once they lock up the boss, you never see what happens to the rest of the criminal empire. To say Stringer Bell had a different way of doing things is an understatement.

"N****, are you takin' notes on a motherfucking criminal conspiracy?"

And sure Brother Mouzone may be a bit unbelievable, but for someone who only had a few scenes he sure leaves an impression. Sheeeiiit, that n**** has more bodies on him than a Chinese cemetary.
Last edit: 07 Dec 2019 11:13 by Gary Sax. Reason: Moderation
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead

More
07 Dec 2019 23:32 #304894 by jeb
Replied by jeb on topic What TV SHOWS are you watching?
THE WIRE was just amazing TV. I'm not going to whine about Season 2, because a bad WIRE season still beats literally everything else on television. I could just hang around with Prop Joe all day. I would watch that guy eat a sandwich.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample

More
08 Dec 2019 10:19 #304896 by Msample
“ Buy for a dollar sell for two”.

More
08 Dec 2019 10:26 #304897 by Sagrilarus
Maisel is back.

More
08 Dec 2019 10:34 - 08 Dec 2019 10:35 #304898 by Gary Sax
Been catching up on the expanse since the new season is up soonish. I've read all the books so it's always interesting to see the choices they make.
Last edit: 08 Dec 2019 10:35 by Gary Sax.

More
08 Dec 2019 14:10 - 08 Dec 2019 15:04 #304908 by Jackwraith

jeb wrote: THE WIRE was just amazing TV. I'm not going to whine about Season 2, because a bad WIRE season still beats literally everything else on television. I could just hang around with Prop Joe all day. I would watch that guy eat a sandwich.

"The feeling is it ain't right for you to be at the head of our table when you can't call off your dog. Call it a 'crisis of leadership.'"

"Businessmen, such as myself, does not believe in bad blood with a man such as yourself. Disturbs the sleep."

And, yet, one of my favorite Prop Joe moments is when he's talking to Sergei:

"Did he have hands? Did he have a face? Yes? Then it wasn't us! ... Idiot."
Last edit: 08 Dec 2019 15:04 by Jackwraith.

More
08 Dec 2019 21:28 - 08 Dec 2019 21:30 #304915 by Shellhead
With diminished enthusiasm, I returned to Babylon Five and am now halfway through season four. They won the big war and now the trouble with Earth has resumed. Babylon Five did improve from season to season, but I feel like even season four is still just moderately good by my standards. Instead of plowing all the way through Babylon Five, I got distracted by various movies, Mr. Robot (midway thru season three right now), and re-watching Chernobyl and American Gods with my girlfriend. She is still trying to fill the void in her entertainment left by the conclusion of Game of Thrones. I keep telling her that her best alternatives to GoT might be The Expanse and The Wire, but she isn't interested in a sci-fi show or a cop show.

EDIT: I randomly spotted Bryan Cranston in an episode of Babylon Five tonight. It's fun to see actors before they got big, and this appearance was a few years before Malcolm in the Middle and long before Breaking Bad.
Last edit: 08 Dec 2019 21:30 by Shellhead.

More
08 Dec 2019 22:48 #304917 by Jackwraith
Finally convinced my girlfriend to sit down and watch The Expanse with me. We're six episodes in to season 1. It's decent. She initially dismissed it as kind of "Star Trek-like" until I pointed out that 1) they're at least approximating science here in that they have to be concerned with acceleration and ships actually have to flip and decelerate, etc; 2) everything is dirty the way real people working in space would be; and 3) it's concerned with actual life issues for the political conflict and not just "Those people have brow ridges and pointed ears and, thus, are the enemy!" Instead, as with most political issues/wars, it's about the money. It's always about the money.

Given my Howard Chaykin affectation, I appreciated that they kind of dropped you into the middle of some things, although not quite as immediately as he did, since they did take some time out for exposition. However, there haven't been many rough patches in that respect and I was actually kind of annoyed that at no point are you made aware of what "OPA" actually stands for. It's not relevant (spoiler: They're the rebels!), but I had to go look it up online.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Msample

More
09 Dec 2019 00:25 #304920 by Michael Barnes
Watchmen tonight was -incredible-.

I’ve resigned myself to the fact that if there’s going to be a sequel to Watchmen, this was absolutely the right way to do it.

Warning: Spoiler!
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames

More
09 Dec 2019 00:47 #304921 by mc
Replied by mc on topic What TV SHOWS are you watching?
Re Cranston don't forget he was the dodgy dentist on Seinfeld as well, I think he was in at least a couple of episodes.

More
09 Dec 2019 02:46 #304922 by Disgustipater
He was also a bad guy in an episode of Airwolf and did voices for some monsters in Power Rangers.

More
09 Dec 2019 10:19 #304927 by Joebot

Msample wrote: I've never understood the lack of love for Season 2 of THE WIRE. Sure it added more characters to keep track of, but I think it did an excellent job of showing how far the drug story could spread . Frank Sobotka was a sort of tragic criminal hero in that sure he did the dirt, but all in the name of preserving his union.

I loved Season 2 of The Wire. It was a departure from Season 1, but just as fascinating and compelling. I always viewed Frank Sobotka as the proto-Walter White. He convinced himself he could "break bad" for honorable reasons, and it was just one step after another, until he was in far too deep.

If we're swapping Prop Joe quotes, my favorite was always the one from the east vs. west basketball game. "Look the part, BE the part, motherfucker."

More
09 Dec 2019 11:11 #304929 by Shellhead
Prop Joe had so many good lines. One of my favorites is, "For a cold-ass crew of gangsters, y’all carried it out like Republicans and shit,”

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.758 seconds