October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2508 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What TV SHOWS are you watching?

More
16 Jan 2020 05:13 #306244 by mtagge

charlest wrote: I tend to agree. I don't mind Holden much in the books but really dislike the actor in the show. Naomi is the only character I feel they really cast perfectly.

So I started watching over from the beginning as too much time had passed since I watched season one. There is a particular scene in season one where the UN secretary lady visits Holden's mother. In that scene it comes to light that Holden was basically raised by a cult as the chosen one. In light of that revelation much of his behavior and weirdness makes a ton of sense.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RobertB

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Jan 2020 12:35 #306265 by RobertB
I never thought Holden's multiparent parentage had much to do with him being him, except for maybe the authors trying to solve the problem of, "How do we raise Holden out in the country, without him being from a insanely rich family?" And son or daughter leaving the Family Farm is a trope as old as time.

More
16 Jan 2020 12:40 #306266 by Shellhead
Based on the first three seasons, it seems that Holden really is the Chosen One.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, RobertB, mtagge

More
16 Jan 2020 12:50 #306268 by Sagrilarus
Apparently I am watching (and reading) a different version of The Expanse.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RobertB

More
17 Jan 2020 14:10 #306344 by jeb
Replied by jeb on topic What TV SHOWS are you watching?
I am in the middle-ish of Season 4. Holden is a toolbox, but not as much as he used to be. I really like him as confused more than righteous. They need to give Amos something to work with. The idea of a sociopath buddy is cool, but sociopaths at least fake feeling things. It's like they mixed up sociopathy with autism in that guy. He doesn't seem to "read" people at all, but he also seems to not value them either. I want him to be interesting, but I feel like I could write his lines; he's very one-note.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mtagge

More
20 Jan 2020 21:19 #306416 by Cranberries
I'm watching the 4th season of The Good Place. Although I realize it's not the first season, I like the characters enough that it's ok and I'm enjoying it. An added bonus was being able to watch an episode on the iPad mini while I did a platelet donation for a $15 Amazon gift card. I tried not to think about them extracting my blood (dark red tubes) and then re-injecting the plasma (much clearer tubes). I like to think there's a wealthy, mutated billionaire floating in a vat with VR goggles grafted to his head getting these platelets.

More
21 Jan 2020 01:13 #306418 by Disgustipater
I’ve found Season 4 (and to some extent Season 3) of The Good Place to be boring. I realize that the direction it has taken is basically the only way for it to end, I just don’t care about most of it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: allismom3

More
21 Jan 2020 13:55 #306443 by Joebot

Disgustipater wrote: I’ve found Season 4 (and to some extent Season 3) of The Good Place to be boring. I realize that the direction it has taken is basically the only way for it to end, I just don’t care about most of it.

It is definitely time for The Good Place to end. I still find the cast to be enjoyable and effortlessly charming, but the show isn't funny anymore. The same thing happened to Silicon Valley in its last season. It's all plot, no character. It's too bad, because this was a great show early on.

Speaking of shows not being funny, I watched the pilot episode of Avenue 5 on HBO. Hard to believe this show is by the same guy who created the always hilarious Veep.

All these high-concept comedies seem to be forgetting the "comedy" part.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
24 Jan 2020 11:15 #306579 by Shellhead
Still in the mood for watching a science-fiction tv show, but haven't been able to work up enthusiasm to watch Expanse season 4 yet. I finished Babylon 5 season 4 and it ended pretty well, just like each season before it ended pretty well. Two episodes into season 5 and... it's okay. Amazon apparently isn't going to let me watch anymore Space: 1999 for free, but I ended up having some respect for it after watching the first dozen episodes.

So I am re-watching Star Trek on Amazon Prime. The original series. As a kid, my mom and I started watching while season 3 was originally airing. The syndicated re-runs were the background noise of my youth, always available, but less exciting with each repeat viewing. I'm fairly certain that I saw every episode several times during the '70s. Then I went decades without watching the original series. So I am trying to watch with fresh eyes, to appreciate again what was good, and to recognize with clear eyes what was bad about the show.

It's a bit of a revelation to finally watch these episodes in order. I don't know if the syndicated re-runs were shown out of order, or I just viewed them on such a random basis that I never saw them in order. Either way, it's interesting to see the early episodes in order and see what changed. For example, it took a few episodes before they settled on certain uniform colors. Spock and Uhuru originally wore gold, Scotty had a light brown shirt, and Sulu wore blue. There was no Ensign Checkov early on, but there was this skinny white guy with huge eyes who was called Mr. Farrell. But this is superficial stuff.

The bigger surprise is that the first few episodes are all quite good. Shatner is charismatic without becoming boorish. The pacing of the stories is good, and there is a decent amount of action. Some interesting ideas are raised, and the characters are interesting. I even noticed that Richard Matheson wrote one of these early episodes, and his writing has also been the basis for more than a few Hollywood movies. But the episode Naked Time was a disappointment. It's a pretty good episode early on, but drags in the final stretch and then resorts to the invention of time travel to undo everything that went wrong in the episode. And time travel was so easy that they should logically use it for nearly every episode after this one, but of course it was just a one-off gimmick that wasn't allowed to change the setting. The next episode, The Enemy Within, features some hammy Shatner acting, but it's reasonably appropriate for the story.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sagrilarus

More
24 Jan 2020 11:27 #306580 by Sagrilarus
I'm looking for another space yarn as well and can't find one. Lost in Space kinda sucked, and the one with the Katie Sackoff fell off the rails (then over the edge of the trestle and plummeted into the river 300 feet below.)

I've finished Babylon Berlin which was my wife-not-home show and need a new one.

She's been watching Call The Midwife when I'm not there which ain't exactly science fiction, but damn it looks intense. I may start that next if I can't find a space ship to sign on to.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample

More
24 Jan 2020 12:13 #306584 by the_jake_1973
The new season of Sex Education dropped on Netflix recently. Enjoyable coming-of-age story with realistic characters.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WadeMonnig

More
24 Jan 2020 12:15 #306585 by charlest
Watched Don't Fuck With Cats and found it a fascinating documentary as entertaining as Making a Murderer. Very hard to watch at times though due to the subject matter.

More
24 Jan 2020 12:45 #306586 by WadeMonnig
Watching Blake's 7 season 2 and David Tennant's first season of Doctor Who. But i do wanna watch season 2 of sex education
The following user(s) said Thank You: jpat

More
24 Jan 2020 13:29 #306587 by Jackwraith
I'm still puttering through the catalog of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine. I'm in the midst of season 5 now, so the Dominion hostilities are ramping up. I've skipped all of the "Kira gets time-shifted and meets her double!" or "An interesting thing happened to Dr. Bashir today!" episodes because I just don't have the patience for them. I want a progressive story, not the "Well, the writer's room came up with this a couple years ago and we've been looking for a place to slot it in, so... here." episodes. It's decent Star Trek.

We're two episodes into The Expanse season 4 and... ehhh. I dunno, man. As I noted in my rather exclamatory thread, we went from complex socio-economic, political struggle to Star Trek-level grand events in a couple episodes and now we're doing Lost in Space. I could be watching the actual Lost in Space second season, if I wanted that. Bobbie and Amos are the only real saving graces of the show right now and while I sympathize with Naomi's outlook on many things, I really wish she could express something other than angst. Safe to say that I'm losing interest rapidly.

More
24 Jan 2020 13:35 - 24 Jan 2020 13:37 #306588 by Gary Sax
By the time you hit the last couple seasons of DS9, even the episodic, less-serialized content is pretty good.
Last edit: 24 Jan 2020 13:37 by Gary Sax.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 1.006 seconds