October 09, 2023
2297 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2512 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What TV SHOWS are you watching?

More
10 Feb 2020 06:04 - 10 Feb 2020 11:34 #306968 by Sagrilarus
Speaking of music rights.

I'm watching Cowboy Bebop or, more to the point, listening to it. There is some killer music in the show played by real humans on real instruments. You get a pretty clear picture of how music has changed when you hear a slice of it from 20+ years ago curated into a single package.
Last edit: 10 Feb 2020 11:34 by Sagrilarus.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DarthJoJo

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Feb 2020 07:51 #306969 by hotseatgames
I started watching the 2018 follow-ups to FLCL, FLCL Progressive and I don't remember what the other one is called.

For the uninitiated, FLCL is a really weird coming of age anime with a lot of science fiction, mecha, and all around crazy shit happening. It's stylish as hell, and all of the music is done by the Japanese rock band The Pillows. These guys are incredible, and are largely responsible for why I love the show. The new stuff is great so far, and still has the Pillows doing the soundtrack.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DarthJoJo, Ah_Pook

More
10 Feb 2020 11:37 #306977 by DarthJoJo

Sagrilarus wrote: Speaking of music rights.

I'm watching Cowboy Bebop or, more to the point, listening to it. There is some killer music in the show played by real humans on real instruments. You get a pretty clear picture of how music has change when you hear a slice of it from 20+ years ago curated into a single package.

Speaking speaking of music.

The back half of Shinichiro Watanabe’s Carole & Tuesday dropped on Netflix and is a wonderful celebration of music in general. Though our keyboard- and guitar-playing leads are clearly contrasted against the manufactured and AI-developed music of their rival Angela, it never feels like the show is dumping on her. All of their music and all of the music played by everyone they meet is a banger.

The plotting is a little weak but whatever. The show just makes me smile.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, hotseatgames

More
10 Feb 2020 12:28 #306983 by hotseatgames
Agreed, Carole and Tuesday is a great show.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DarthJoJo

More
10 Feb 2020 13:02 #306984 by Shellhead

Msample wrote: Some older shows have had trouble securing the music rights because the original rights didn't take into account streaming, etc . I think is what held up MIAMI VICE for so long - or in some cases, I think they replaced the music.

Depp was clearly on the move; he bailed on the final season as his movie career took off.

I know music rights were a big issue for the dvd release of WKRP in Cincinatti, Later, a different company got the DVD rights and got permission from a large majority of the bands to use their music. I don't know if music rights were an issue for 21 Jump Street, because I just don't recall my early viewings well enough to remember any popular music of the time. I'm guessing no, because re-watching these old episodes yields a surprising range of vaguely '80s background music without evoking any particular artists.

In hindsight, 21 Jump Street was probably a great training ground for Depp. Before the show, he was just a pretty face. During the show, his character got to play a wide range of roles as an undercover cop, allowing Depp himself to dabble in a variety of roles. In theory, this should have been a great opportunity for the whole cast, but I think it's more common for an actor to do a decent job within a relatively limited range that is probably similar to their real personality. This even goes for some major stars who just happen to have a distinctive or likable personality. For example, Will Smith plays the best Will Smith.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen, Msample

More
11 Feb 2020 08:54 #307012 by lj1983
The kids and I have been watching Kipo and the Age of Wonderbeasts, and really enjoying it. I get a big Avatar: The last airbender feel from it. similar art style drives a lot of that, but it's not a kiddy show, but has a lot of imagination and fun to it.

More
11 Feb 2020 10:24 #307015 by Ah_Pook

hotseatgames wrote: I started watching the 2018 follow-ups to FLCL, FLCL Progressive and I don't remember what the other one is called.

For the uninitiated, FLCL is a really weird coming of age anime with a lot of science fiction, mecha, and all around crazy shit happening. It's stylish as hell, and all of the music is done by the Japanese rock band The Pillows. These guys are incredible, and are largely responsible for why I love the show. The new stuff is great so far, and still has the Pillows doing the soundtrack.

Man I intensely loved flcl when it came out but talk about a series that doesn't feel like it needed a sequel. That said, I'm curious enough to watch some episodes.

More
14 Feb 2020 21:24 #307127 by ChristopherMD
Mythic Quest Ravens Banquet was really good. A sitcom about people working at an MMORPG company.

More
17 Feb 2020 15:01 #307190 by Joebot
Three episodes into Star Trek: Picard, and not a damn thing has happened yet. It's been nothing but talking and explaining and flashbacks and people staring at fancy holographic computer displays. If it takes you three episodes to start your story, you probably didn't start it in the right place! I feel like back in the TNG days, they would have covered all this narrative ground in the cold open before the credits rolled. Now it takes three hours!

I wonder when "explaining" took over for "storytelling." When did that happen?

I can't help but mentally compare Picard to The Mandalorian, since they're both kinda trying to do the same thing, and take an old IP and move it into a modern TV drama. Picard doesn't fare well in that comparison. Not only is it boring as fuck, and utterly humorless, but they totally dropped the ball on the easy nostalgia-pandering. The Mandalorian NAILED the look and sounds of Star Wars. Picard is just a generic, bland sci-fi show. Other than Stewart's familiar face, it doesn't look or sound like Trek at all.

This isn't really relevant, but I feel like holographic computer displays would be a nightmare to actually use. They're always portrayed as translucent. Can you imagine trying to focus your eyes on the display, without being distracted by everything behind it? Where's the good old fashioned tricorder or PADD!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample, Gregarius, Nodens, Varys

More
18 Feb 2020 18:28 #307229 by Rliyen
Currently watching Once Upon a Time in Lingjian Mountain. 30 episodes in and it's gonzo.

Wire-fu? Check.
Breaking the 4th wall? Check.
Pop culture references in a clearly period-esque setting? Check.
Seriousness? Check.
Turning seriousness on its head in the next breath? Check.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jay718, hotseatgames, Nodens

More
18 Feb 2020 18:33 #307230 by dysjunct
Almost done with Locke & Key and it's really fun so far. I haven't read the comic, nor seen the previous attempts to bring it to the screen, so I have no basis for comparison. But I'm enjoying it.

More
18 Feb 2020 22:56 #307249 by Jackwraith

dysjunct wrote: Almost done with Locke & Key and it's really fun so far. I haven't read the comic, nor seen the previous attempts to bring it to the screen, so I have no basis for comparison. But I'm enjoying it.

Glad you're enjoying it. I'm about halfway through and it's fun to see the excellent comic series brought to life. I'm a little disappointed in the apparent scaling back of some of the horror elements, in favor of the bog-standard "teenage romance" stuff. I thought they could have kept the romantic side and still engaged in the horror, similar to Stranger Things. Maybe not.

Anyway, if you want a slightly darker turn on that whole world, I can't recommend the comics enough. I thought they were really well done and they got me interested in looking for some of Joe Hill's other stuff (which I haven't gotten around to reading yet, but my stack is large; kind of like my games that don't get played!)
The following user(s) said Thank You: dysjunct

More
19 Feb 2020 00:11 #307252 by Shellhead

dysjunct wrote: Almost done with Locke & Key and it's really fun so far. I haven't read the comic, nor seen the previous attempts to bring it to the screen, so I have no basis for comparison. But I'm enjoying it.

Although I am usually more of superhero comic reader, Locke & Key was the best comic series that I've read in the last 10 years.
The following user(s) said Thank You: BillyBobThwarton

More
20 Feb 2020 05:02 #307290 by mc
Replied by mc on topic What TV SHOWS are you watching?
FInally got around to watching Dark.

It's.... not what I was expecting, quite.
I remember reading about how kind of intense and crazy it all was and I was kind of expecting Twin Peaks but I think what I was reading was probably people trying to keep who the hell is who connected in their heads. I think there are about 15 people in the town and they are all related to one another in some way.

German Stranger Things? Not really,either. Maybe there's some 80s pop cultural references and things I'm not picking up on but there's not much of a light touch, and a lot of brooding.

Still not bad though, but the pace could go a bit quicker. Time travel... eh. Not TOO much yet that hasn't been done before there, either.

More
20 Feb 2020 07:39 #307291 by the_jake_1973
Avenue 5 on Amazon is pretty funny in an English absurdist comedy sort of way. It stars Hugh Laurie as the captain of a starliner on a maiden voyage around Saturn. Shit goes wrong. Worth checking out.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen, allismom3, Sagrilarus, WadeMonnig

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.701 seconds