October 09, 2023
2458 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2661 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What TV SHOWS are you watching?

More
01 Apr 2020 20:49 #308787 by Not Sure
Episode 3 of Tiger King is where the real rollercoaster drop of crazy comes.

If you watch the first episode or two and think "yeah, okay", do yourself a favor and watch to the end of episode 3 before bailing out.

The combination of everyone stuck at home and this show dropping at just the right time means get ready for total saturation, though.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Apr 2020 23:41 #308792 by Jackwraith
I made it through 40 minutes of Tiger King and turned it off. It felt like a long episode of Inside Edition, except worse. If I want to see contemptible people try to justify their ridiculous behavior, I can turn on C-SPAN. Just really not my thing.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, Dr. Mabuse, Cranberries, Sagrilarus, Msample, Varys

More
02 Apr 2020 00:56 #308795 by Michael Barnes
The problem with Tiger King is that all of these people aren’t really more than carnie scumbags, confidence men, two-bit hustlers, and methed-up hillbillies. Folks are picking “favorites” and lionizing (sorry) Joe Exotic and these other vile people (all of them)...I’m not keen on that. I’m seeing a lot of broken, damaged people exploiting animals for various ends and that makes them all reprehensible.

It is an interesting and entertaining show, it does have that slow motion train wreck that you can’t take your eyes off of quality. I’ve seen up to episode 6 and I’m sort of worn out on it. The shock reveals are good though, I’ll definitely give it that. There are a couple of jaw droppers.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Varys

More
02 Apr 2020 18:50 #308838 by hotseatgames
3 episodes into season 3 of Ozark and I can't believe the level of intensity they are bringing. This is way beyond season 2 from what I recall.

The Byrds may have the worst marriage on-screen that I have seen.

More
03 Apr 2020 11:12 #308856 by ChristopherMD
I didn't even know they were making a Tales from the Loop show and it released today. I know what I'm watching this weekend!

The following user(s) said Thank You: bfkiller

More
03 Apr 2020 16:47 #308883 by mc
Replied by mc on topic What TV SHOWS are you watching?

hotseatgames wrote: 3 episodes into season 3 of Ozark and I can't believe the level of intensity they are bringing. This is way beyond season 2 from what I recall.

The Byrds may have the worst marriage on-screen that I have seen.

Still can't decide what I think about this show, but i am watching it all the same. Largely watching for Ruth, I think, because I couldn't give a toss about the Byrde's, really - any sympathy I had for either of them has completely disappeared. Although I am enjoying the marriage counselling sessions.

This whole Tiger King thing means I get to be all hipster and say, been there, done that. I watched a Louis Theroux's Weird Weekends on them ages ago. I don't know about this show, I haven't watched it; but at least Theroux has some kind of understanding what he's doing, and a genuine interest in how societies/situations create these weird places and communities of people; this seems like straight up "look at the freeeeeeeeeaks".

More
03 Apr 2020 17:15 #308886 by Ah_Pook
Tiger king looks like shitty lunatics being shitty to animals and each other, and that's not really where my vibe is currently I dunno.

Wife and I watched I Am Not Okay With This, which was pretty okay. The diary narration framing got kinda old, and it more or less followed every single beat you would guess after watching the first episode, but it was an enjoyable coming of age/Carrie kind of thing. Good cast. I'm interested to see where they go with it in season 2.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample, Gregarius, Varys

More
03 Apr 2020 22:29 #308894 by Varys
Tiger King made me really mad because of how badly the animals were treated and how badly they’ll continue to be treated. It reminded me of breeder mills.

Ozark S3 was pretty good. The guy who plays Ben did a fantastic job.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample, Jackwraith

More
04 Apr 2020 18:01 - 04 Apr 2020 18:02 #308910 by ChristopherMD
Tales from the Loop - This was the comfort show that I needed right now. Its sort of a scifi anthology series where each episode focuses on a different person living in the town above the Loop and some weird shit they get into. The visual aesthetic of Simon Stålenhag's work translated perfectly into what I can only describe as early 80's Swedish Ohio. The show moves at a leisurely pace and whether that's good or bad is gonna depend on the viewer. The episodes were all written by Nathaniel Halpern who wrote a bunch of Legion's episodes which I'm also a fan of. Most of the stories here aren't any ideas you haven't seen before but they are enjoyable and fit well into the Loop world. If anything the familiar parts make the show more accessible and combined with the pacing make it sort of relaxing to watch. As there's no overarching story there's also no stupid cliffhanger or tease ending so while another season would be great it also works as a one-shot.
Last edit: 04 Apr 2020 18:02 by ChristopherMD.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jackwraith, Gregarius, Nodens

More
06 Apr 2020 20:43 #308998 by Jackwraith
Started watching True Detective, season 3, while we have HBO for free for a few days. I'm a diehard fan of season 1. I think it's one of the best things that HBO has ever done, which is a very high bar. Season 2, OTOH (aka Nic Pizzolatto's ego trip), was a colossal faceplant, since the story was too fragmented and many sequences seemed like they came right out of the freshman project of a USC film student. After all, police investigators always find the complete layout of a complex plan in someone's desk drawer, right? And this is right after season 1, where the emphasis on what police work can often be: dreary, arduous, patience-testing.

So, I was in a between HBO period by the time season 3 rolled around. I'm a Mahershala Ali fan, but that wasn't enough to bring me back while I've been out of work. Having watched the first four episodes... It's OK. I mean, it's basically a rehash of season 1, right? From the weird dolls and mysticism to one of the police duo having previous life issues to relationship problems providing external texture to the central conflict (at the very least, the women aren't all scenery this time.) I remain an Ali fan, as his emotional reactions provide a lot of the impetus for the story, since they're quite the contrast from seasons 1's lead, despite the plot carrying a lot of the same elements. It's also interesting to see Stephen Dorff in a slightly more complex role than a lot of the routine stuff I've seen him in before (Blade, etc.) I'm definitely willing to watch more.

One of the absurdly funniest parts about the whole production is HBO's "Inside the Episode" bits after each segment, where Pizzolatto proceeds to pat himself on the back for his own genius in designing "this great scene that I really liked" and "that part of the story which was really cool." All creative people need some degree of ego. Some are just better at controlling it than others.

More
06 Apr 2020 20:49 #308999 by charlest
Yeah season three is decent but nothing special like we received in season one.

I still think the closest thing to season one (less the supernatural/Lovecraft bits), is the Netflix series Unbelievable.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jackwraith

More
06 Apr 2020 22:52 #309001 by Msample
I thought the first season of True Detective had some great acting interspersed with a lumbering, sluggish plot. Not enough to get me interested in the next two seasons.

Finally got around to watching WATCHMEN. Two episodes in, pretty good.

WESTWORLD has thankfully streamlined the convoluted plot in its third season and while I miss the western setting, the sleek modern production look is enjoyable and it’s a lot easier to follow what’s going on. That said, at only 8 episodes this season, it’s already halfway over and I feel like it’s barely gotten started.

I refuse to watch Tiger King. Got enough train wreck watching in the McDonalds HBO documentary.

More
07 Apr 2020 08:45 - 07 Apr 2020 08:46 #309008 by charlest
McMillions is entertaining, but Tiger King is on an entirely different plane of existence.
Last edit: 07 Apr 2020 08:46 by charlest.

More
07 Apr 2020 08:51 #309009 by hotseatgames
I have watched 3 episodes of Tiger King. I want to see this through, and honestly, so far, based on what I had heard, I expected it to be crazier.

Don't get me wrong, these people are fucking crazy.

More
07 Apr 2020 09:38 #309011 by Joebot

Msample wrote:
WESTWORLD has thankfully streamlined the convoluted plot in its third season and while I miss the western setting, the sleek modern production look is enjoyable and it’s a lot easier to follow what’s going on. That said, at only 8 episodes this season, it’s already halfway over and I feel like it’s barely gotten started.

I'm enjoying this season of Westworld very much. I love the new setting, and the sets and production designs are beautiful. Mostly though, the writers seem to have realized they don't need a bunch of flashbacks and tricks and narrative gimmicks to tell a good story. Is it wrong that I often find myself rooting for the homicidal murder-bot who wants to destroy humanity???

I finished Locke & Key on Netflix, which I also really enjoyed. I've never read the comics (although I kinda want to now), so I can't speak to how well it adapts the source material. But as a fun, slightly creepy fantasy / mystery, it's pretty good. The cast was enjoyable, and the magic keys were very cool.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.588 seconds